92 Days, 3 Hours and 30 Minutes To Go: Empty Supermarkets, L

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: 92 Days, 3 Hours and 30 Minutes To Go: Empty Supermarkets, L

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:41 pm

Chris,

I'll consider whatever the citizens of Merrimack want me to consider. I am running for Representative. I am there to represent and articulate their voice, not replace it with my own.
Andy Sylvia

Postby platypusman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Andy is this your philosophy of governing? You will take an informal poll and based on that, make a decision?
platypusman

Postby TCF » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote:Chris,

I'll consider whatever the citizens of Merrimack want me to consider. I am running for Representative. I am there to represent and articulate their voice, not replace it with my own.

If that is the case I think you may have it backwards. Yes you are there to represent the people, but represent the people that vote for you because of your beliefs, your desires, your wants as a representitive of the people. It is your voice that helps the people decide whether to vote for you or not. IE, if you are for a State sales tax, or strongly against it, voters need to know that. If you are for getting rid of tolls or any other issue on a state level. The way you wrote that sounds like, if all or the majority of people in Merrimack were for a State sales tax, and you had strong convictions against a state tax, you would represent what the voices of the people want. That is just wrong with politics on every level. Politicians need to stand by what they believe in and people need to understand whether you are strongly for or against something. To many times, and unfortunatly most times at all levels of politics, we are promised one thing and get another. Bottomline, all politicians should say this is what i stand for, this is what I believe and this is what I am going to do to try to make this happen. Then the voters can decide if you are a candidate with similiar beliefs and make a decision when it comes to voting for you or someone else at the polls. I am not nit picking, but to me it sounds like whatever the people want that is what I will try to do for them whether you agree with it or not. Dont you remember READ MY LIPS it was GW1's down fall.
Because he didn't stand by his promises and beliefs. Well Perot might have had a bit to do with his downfall too.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
TCF

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm

platypusman wrote:Andy is this your philosophy of governing? You will take an informal poll and based on that, make a decision?

If I can get a consensus of the town, i'll follow the consensus of the people. That is the essence of democracy: having the people in charge.

I'll do my best to try and discover that consensus, trying to get that consensus is one of the main reasons why I still comment here: I want to hear what everyone has to say and engage in that dialogue.

The people have had their voice taken from them by our elected officials for far too long, it's more than likely the cause for the the biggest issue on the minds of voters i've discussed before (apathy and a feeling of political impotence).

Chris, do you believe there is a consensus among the voters of Merrimack in regards to the issues you are discussing, and can you show it to us?
Andy Sylvia

Postby TCF » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 pm

If I can get a consensus of the town, i'll follow the consensus of the people. That is the essence of democracy: having the people in charge.

Wow, to me that is unbelievable. How can you live with yourself. A representitive is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.
TCF

Postby RD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:36 pm

TCF wrote:Wow, to me that is unbelievable. How can you live with yourself. A representitive is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

Don't expect to get an answer from Andy here. You appear to be posting from Florida. As such, you have nothing to do with our state politics.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby TCF » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:40 pm

RD wrote:
TCF wrote:Wow, to me that is unbelievable. How can you live with yourself. A representitive is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

Don't expect to get an answer from Andy here. You appear to be posting from Florida. As such, you have nothing to do with our state politics.

Ha your funny, would you care to pay my property tax bill.
TCF

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Andy Sylvia wrote: irregardless of what they do and many say they will not vote due to that.

Excuse my poor grammar, it's regardless, not irregardless. Somewhere, Dick Barry is angry at me, he always had a pet peeve about that word.
Last edited by Andy Sylvia on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm

TCF wrote:How can you live with yourself. A representitive is supposed to be a leader, not a follower.

I live with myself just fine, but thank you for your concern. However, you are incorrect. When i'm in doubt, I often go to Webster's, and I think this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

rep·re·sent·a·tive Audio Help /ˌrɛprɪˈzɛntətɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rep-ri-zen-tuh-tiv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person or thing that represents another or others.
2. an agent or deputy: a legal representative.
3. a person who represents a constituency or community in a legislative body, esp. a member of the U.S. House of Representatives or a lower house in certain state legislatures.
4. a typical example or specimen of a group, quality, or kind.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 pm

rowland wrote:
RD wrote:
rowland wrote:If you get elected and start making laws based on the attitude you express here you're going to catch a lot of flak.

And you'll likely be stalked by people like old Neil here.

That's how it works these days. The citizen activists will watch your every move and pounce if you get too far out of line. That's the price of power in the 21st century. It's the new accountability. People like RD don't like it much but they need to get used to it.

Forget WMUR, the real political news is on YouTube.

I concur in regards to the real news not being on the mainstream media. I rarely watch it anymore, but I don't discount it either, I just try and keep track of where the information is coming from and then distill the information afterwards from there.

On the internet, most of the distillation happens for you because it's more raw.

While I don't agree with your views for the most part, I'm glad you are being proactive to make sure our public officials are held accountable. All I would say is that you'd probably be more productive if you were more polite, just as when Carol was tracking Jeb Bradley before she became a candidate.
Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Wizard wrote:
rowland wrote: “……nasty purple gravel stuff and flamingo ornaments….”

You mean it’s not cool to have flamingo ornaments in your yard? I’m in big trouble now.

lol, maybe it's still cool to have those little gnomes ;-)
Andy Sylvia

Postby Andy Sylvia » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:50 pm

RD wrote:

RD,

I'm sorry, but I don't mind responding, even though the anon's IP address is from Florida. Talking to people online is my stress relief.
Andy Sylvia

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:
Wizard wrote:
rowland wrote: “……nasty purple gravel stuff and flamingo ornaments….”

You mean it’s not cool to have flamingo ornaments in your yard? I’m in big trouble now.

lol, maybe it's still cool to have those little gnomes ;-)

Hey now, I have one of those little gnomes. Those things rock!
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Linda Nickerson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:14 am

I not only have gnomes...I have GARGOYLES!!!! :lol:
Linda Nickerson

Postby RBarnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am

Linda Nickerson wrote:

I not only have gnomes...I have GARGOYLES!!!! :lol:

Yeah I've got some of those too. They are little though so I have them scattered on my book cases.

I've got an interesting gargoyle bird house that the prior owners of my house left behind too.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

PreviousNext

Return to State Politics