Comcast Digital Voice Problems

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast Digital Voice Problems

Postby w3bch1ck » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:00 am

When we switched over to Comcast we went with their bundle deal which includes digital voice. I was a little iffy about getting rid of the LAN line but up until today we haven't had any problems. Today we can't use our phone, anyone calling in gets a VERY high pitched fax-ish screech. So I called comcast & received an automated message saying that the service was down as of 12:11AM this morning for 'maintenance'. No estimated time of restoration.

So here's my question - Isn't there some kind of FCC law regarding requiring phone companies being required to provide service at all times? How does Comcast [any digital phone service] get away with this? Is anyone else in town experiencing problems? If we had a home business I'd be cancelling my service right about now...

Thanks.
w3bch1ck

Re: Comcast Digital Voice Problems

Postby RD » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 am

I had the digital voice plan for 1 year and then cancelled (when the bundle discount ran out). During that year, I had several interruptions in service. I'd call them (on my cell phone) and they would reset my cable modem and it would start working again.

When I cancelled I told them I was just going to use my cell phone full time. They said that it was necessary that they warn me that if I cancel I would likely no longer have access to enhanced 911. :roll:
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Thompson » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:12 am

w3bch1ck wrote:When we switched over to Comcast we went with their bundle deal which includes digital voice. I was a little iffy about getting rid of the LAN line but up until today we haven't had any problems. Today we can't use our phone, anyone calling in gets a VERY high pitched fax-ish screech. So I called comcast & received an automated message saying that the service was down as of 12:11AM this morning for 'maintenance'. No estimated time of restoration.

So here's my question - Isn't there some kind of FCC law regarding requiring phone companies being required to provide service at all times? How does Comcast [any digital phone service] get away with this? Is anyone else in town experiencing problems? If we had a home business I'd be cancelling my service right about now...

Thanks.

When you get the service I believe the service order detials when you won't have service in certain cases.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:40 am

RD wrote:I had the digital voice plan for 1 year and then cancelled (when the bundle discount ran out). During that year, I had several interruptions in service. I'd call them (on my cell phone) and they would reset my cable modem and it would start working again.

When I cancelled I told them I was just going to use my cell phone full time. They said that it was necessary that they warn me that if I cancel I would likely no longer have access to enhanced 911. :roll:

I assume they were stating this 'threat' because you did not say you were going back to an actual land-line (cell phone only). As soon as you re-activated your land-line you would be back on E-911

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby RD » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:49 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:I assume they were stating this 'threat' because you did not say you were going back to an actual land-line (cell phone only). As soon as you re-activated your land-line you would be back on E-911

Brian

I guess what I found ironic is that they were implying that with digital voice I had access to E-911. Kinda hard to call 911 during one of the many Comcast phone service interruptions...
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:04 pm

The 8x8 company, which provides Packet8 VoIP service, has been in business for 20 years, and developed some of the foundation technologies for voice over IP and videoconferencing. They've been offering VoIP service themselves for around five years, if I'm remembering correctly. The only outages I ever noticed were a result of Adelphia/Comcast outages, and due to the service's "network unavailable forwarding" feature, all incoming calls automatically routed to my cellphone anyway.

I wonder if the same people who put Adelphia DNS servers on the same IP subnet are the folks running their phone service.

I've saved hundreds of dollars a year over my Verizon line and Sprint long distance service over the past nearly two years I've had it, and we recently upgraded to their full-motion videophone for use with Jordan's grandparents.

If anyone wants a promotional discount, let me know and I'll send you a referral link.
Michael Pelletier

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water