Guide to Merrimack Tax rate [video]

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:00 am

Using google video will certainly get around the bandwidth issue.

Google video also has the option of making videos "private". It's not truely private, but the video will not be included in google's video search results and is only available to someone who knows the correct docid (a 19 digit number) or who follows a link to it from someone who knows it. I would consider that similiar to how the meeting tapes currently work - they are available to the world, but you need to know where to find them.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:08 am

Yes, the 'later upload' will take care of the bandwidth issue.

I really don't know why I have this concern in my head about this but if this was to happen on a more regular basis, I would think meetings should start off with 'This meeting is being recorded and will become part of public records".

Right now all those tapes are NOT an offical 'public record' of the meeting they have recorded. Those are still the minutes. Maybe some day the State will catch up with things.

Brian

Debra Huffman wrote:
Brian McCarthy wrote:At this point the bandwidth is not available from the studio to do this 'live'. It has been brought up before and my personal concern has been going from people being taped by the Town to broadcast on what amounts to be a closed curcit TV (only Merrimack) to being available to the world.

Brian, what about if we don't broadcast it live, just tape it and make the tape available for download on the Web. Would that get around the bandwidth problem?

As for the personal concern, would people really worry that total strangers will bother to download a local government meeting? And they would be concerned about that but not about having their friends and neighbors see them on cable?
Brian McCarthy

Postby Debra Huffman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am

It's important for people to feel comfortable coming to their local government meetings, and I think it's good for you to think this through and anticipate problems, but my immediate response is that I don't see a problem.

Is your concern a legal one, due to the "official" meeting business?
Or is it concern for people's privacy? Or something else?

People come to meetings now knowing they are being shown live on TV and will be shown again and again all week. If they're not self-conscious about that, I can't imagine they'd be worried about having that same tape available for people to download, especially because we could do as Nat mentioned and make the tape available only to people who know where to look for it.

Do I remember that the Media folks make a DVD of each TC meeting available at the library? If so, that's not much different from this, right?

I've sent an e-mail to Nick asking about the technicalities and costs involved in this. I'll let you know what he says. (I expect that if it costs money the answer will be no-can-do but I'd gladly pay for an occasional download on an as-requested basis. That way just the people who want it pay for it.)
Debra Huffman

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:14 am

Just wanted to let people know that Nick did respond yesterday but I've gotten too busy to explore this any further right now. In a nutshell, he's very interested in providing more content on the Web, he's been involved in planning how we could do this for many months, any costs would have to be covered by the Cable TV Fund (which comes from the cable franchise fee), and he's going to talk to his new boss about it when he has a one-on-one with him.

I plan to be Nick's cheerleader on this effort. Assuming the costs are relatively small, I think it would be a great service.
Debra Huffman

Previous

Return to Meeting Videos