My Motorcycle Rides in 08 and 09 so far..

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

My Motorcycle Rides in 08 and 09 so far..

Postby joe179 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Bought a GL1800 in Feb 08. It is black with ABS and every option available for a 2001. It had 20K miles when I got it. I bought some white parts from a 2005 white wing that had been triked. Took the rear end apart and installed white saddle bag housings. Covers are black...

Anyway, for the past 11 months I have been working in Alabama. I live in New Hampshire as you may guess. Last August I rode my wing down there. In September I rode back and even rode the Dragon-- take it easy there -- there are speed traps every 1/2 mile up the mountains...

This year I rode the wing down on Memorial Day weekend. I then rode down to Jacksonville on Saturday and then rode up thru Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville and up 81 to 78 and eventually home. I rode thru some very heavy rain both ways. I have rain gear and although riding slower kept moving on.

On the way down I hit rain crossing into Virginia. After about 30 miles the rain got so heavy it was hard to see. I pulled off at the next exit and stopped to get gas. A guy pulled in on an Ultra with his wife on the back. He had an open face helmet and the rain was battering his face. We talked a bit and I told him if he was going to rode the Interstates he should have a full face helmet...

I hit rain going south several times. The worst was in Scottsboro Alabama. The rain came down, the wind was blowing so hard it leaned the wing to the right-- the rain was pelting me on the left side...there were thunder claps a short distance away...

On the way back when getting gas in Jacksonville a guy came over and was admiring the wing. He said he had an Ultra and would love to own a wing-- said the Ultra didn't have enough power when climbing hills. I told him the wing climbs like a mountain goat... when I got near Knoxville, I could see clouds on the horizon. I checked the WB and the reports were for heavy rain with Flash Flood Watches for Western Virginia, Southeast West Virginia and Northwestern North Carolina. I put on the rain gear at the next rest stop and met a guy who had his Heritage in the bed of his pickup. It was pearl white with so many options I can't list them all. He was heading to Gettysburg but he wasn't going to ride it because it was basically a show bike...

So I rode northeast and hit the rain. I rained hard at times slowing all traffic. I rode to Staunton and got a hotel room-- the folks there let me park under the portico... nice folks...

When I awoke the next morning it was raining. I donned my rain gear and headed up the Shenandoah Valley. It rained light and then harder at times until I got north of Harrisburg.

After that I took 78, stopped in Krumsville to get some scrapple, smoked bacon and some other goodies. I put them in a cooler corded to the rear seat. Rode rain free the rest of the way. Hit New York rush hour traffic on the Merritt Parkway but the rest of the ride was great!

Got home about 945pm had dinner and a good night's sleep....

I washed and polished the wing today...took it for a ride and just thank my lucky stars I have that wonderful bike...
joe179

Re: My Motorcycle Rides in 08 and 09 so far..

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 am

>> scrapple

I don't think I'd get on a bike after eating some of that !!!
Brian McCarthy

Postby joe179 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 am

Scrapple??

I get extra meat scrapple, fry it with a coating of flour in butter. Eat it with eggs sunny side up. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
joe179

Postby WIZ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:57 am

Wow! That's one heck of a commute to work.

Do they serve Lipitor with that scrapple?
WIZ

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:19 pm

joe

Thanks for sharing your story. It brings back memories as I have traveled that route to Knoxville and then on to MS several times in the past ten years. I stayed in Staunton on my last cross-country trip.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby joe179 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Jeannine- thanx for the post. The ride to MS must be a long one too...

Wiz, every once in a while I splurge and eat something wild. sushi, barbeque ribs, and yes scrapple.... no didn't take Lipitor but my blood could probably use some...
joe179

Postby joe179 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 am

Forgot to post last years ride:

Destination: New Orleans.

Late last May had a business meeting in Alabama. Rode there and after the meeting on to New Orleans. Great ride and had a great time in the French Quarter. Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites. They were very biker friendly.

On the way back just as I crossed the Alabama border the sky ahead was turning black. The WB issued a severe thunderstorm warning with high winds and hail. I entered Tuscaloosa and checked my BB for a place to eat and weather the storm. I called around and finally talked to some folks at Dreamland Barbecue. They said come on over. When I got there they had a spot reserved in the garage for me! They said the garage was used by the founder John “Big Daddy” Bishop before he passed. They walked me thru the kitchen and into the restaurant. The place was like a trip out of this world. Pictures of Bear Bryant all over the walls eating with folks and of course Big Daddy. It was definitely the heart of Alabama Football Nation. I ordered a BBQ plate, some iced tea and just enjoyed the food and atmosphere...

The rest of the ride was pretty typical- sun, some rain but overall quite nice...

This year I'm thinking of Sturgis...
joe179

Postby joe179 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 am

Well, lets see, first off, just in case someone is wondering about how Dreamland fared back on April 27th, it was not damaged by the tornado and is open for normal business...good news indeed.

Based on my work, I couldn't make Sturgis this year...

I did take another trek down south (work related) in July on my wing. Rode out on a Wednesday and made it to Harrisonburg Va the first night. Weather was good. Took off the next morning and rode to Huntsville Al. After dark, I hit a wall of water in Chattanooga which forced me to pull off as I couldn't hardly see. Had to wait out the storm and arrived at my destination around 2am....

Since then I haven't done much riding as I've been quite busy at work.... Stay tuned....
joe179

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Glad you're having fun, Joe. I won't tell my husband, who traded in his bike for a truck early in our marriage and has regretted it ever since. :lol:

Your picture reminded me of our trip to Georgia last spring, where the sign on a diner said, "Liver and Gizzard Meal with Drink, Only $5.99." You're right, it is like a trip out of this world. Such nice people, such a slower pace, everyone seemed to have time to sit and chat with a stranger.
Debra Huffman

Postby joe179 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 am

Hey Deb,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I rode down to Alabama again last summer. Another good ride. Since then I have been busy at work. Last week I went to Greece and Turkey. First time in both places and had a great time. Please stay in touch...
joe179

Return to Other Topics (sports, work, commute, food, etc)