School Budget Committee Meeting

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

School Budget Committee Meeting

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am

The first School Budget Committee meeting of the year will be tonight, Jun 12, at 7:00 P.M. in the main conference room at the High School.
http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us/news.cfm?story=44323&school=0

No agenda has been released yet but it is my understanding that following will be addressed:

Voting for the chair/vice-chair
    Discussion concerning resignation of one committee member
    Discussion of how the committee will operate this year

That last item is where we need your help! In light of the close vote on whether to keep the BC, I think it is safe to say that voters would like to see a few tweaks in our process. Unfortunately, the voting results don't give us specifics so I encourage you to come out to the meeting tonight to give your thoughts under public participation. Hearing your ideas will better inform the committee in their discussion. If you can't make the meeting, please e-mail your ideas to the committee (MSDBudgetCom@merrimack.k12.nh.us).

Thank you
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Re: School Budget Committee Meeting

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you for taking the vote count into consideration as to 'what it meant'. When it comes to these items a close vote can mean the voters are truly divided or maybe they don't understand the issue.

Better education of what the committee is, when it meets, its goals, what the committee CAN do would be a great start.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:Better education of what the committee is, when it meets, its goals, what the committee CAN do would be a great start.

Other than when it meets, I don't think there is consensus among committee members on the items you list so it might be difficult to relay that to voters. Each member could give you their take but that is about the best you are going to get in my view. I suppose the chairman's interpretation of the BC role is an important one since he runs the meeting and to Andy's credit, he spent copious amounts of time over the last couple of years as chair trying to educate the public on the role of the BC from his perspective. What more would you suggest Brian? People rarely attend the meetings and it is unclear how many tune in to the Merrimack TV broadcasts (both on the net and cable) which further hinders the BC's ability to communicate with voters.
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Tim Tenhave » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:31 am

No agenda. I am assuming it is posted in hardcopy form. If not, it should be a short meeting since nothing was noticed (RSA 91-A:2 II).

As to the reason for my vote, I would be happy to come visit the BudCom and discuss my thoughts on how they could operate better (in my opinion :-)). I just need to know ahead of time so I can prepare.

Tim
Tim Tenhave

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:49 am

Tim Tenhave wrote:No agenda. I am assuming it is posted in hardcopy form. If not, it should be a short meeting since nothing was noticed (RSA 91-A:2 II).

As to the reason for my vote, I would be happy to come visit the BudCom and discuss my thoughts on how they could operate better (in my opinion :-)). I just need to know ahead of time so I can prepare.

Tim

Tim,

The meeting was noticed but no agenda posted. It was my understanding that only a meeting notice was required by 91-A. Is that incorrect? If so, what can be done?

Incidentally, it wouldn't be the first time we violated the provisions of 91-A. We rarely meet the 5 day deadline for posting minutes but that has been rationalized as compliance through the Merrimack TV recording and/or the copies that could be made available if anyone were to come in and request it (which nobody ever does). Since they aren't "approved" minutes and since we meet so infrequently, we have gone months without posting meeting minutes.

Also, would welcome any thoughts/opinions you have on how to make the BC better serve the taxpayer.
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Tim Tenhave » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Gary,

You are right, notice is all that is required.

Minutes have to be available for inspection within 5 business days. They do not have to be approved. All notes, recordings, etc used to make the minutes also must be avalable for inspection, copying, etc. You don't have to post the minutes, only have them available in the 5 business days. You could essentially never post them if you wanted.

As to my thoughts. I will prepare them but realize my first thought was to eliminate the BC. Since the voters want it, I am happy to go along for this year but will be looking closely at how the BudCom operates. In essence, I want it to add value.

Next, change its timeline so the School Board can use part of January to do their work. There is no reason for the BC to take 6 weeks to act on the budget.

Tim
Tim Tenhave

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Tim Tenhave wrote:

Next, change its timeline so the School Board can use part of January to do their work. There is no reason for the BC to take 6 weeks to act on the budget.

Tim,

We spent the bulk of our time talking about this very issue tonight and we came up with 4 statements to send to the School Board to start that conversation. I may not have the exact wording but the ideas we asked Andy (the liaison to the SB) and George (the alternate SB liaison who was also at the meeting) to take forward were:

The BC is interested in streamlining the budget review process
    The BC requests joint budget workshops with the School Board [to hear from dept heads at the same time]
    The BC would like to submit budget questions to Administration and have written responses back before the workshops [so that the workshops would consist of 12 BC members and 5 SB members asking the dept. heads only follow-up type questions at the workshops]
    The BC would like to see the workshops start at the first mutally agreeable date after 1 Jan

There will be details to work I am sure but I think this is a good start to get the ball rolling and get a feel for what the SB wants to do. These four statements received unanimous approval from the BC tonight so I think we all realize that it makes sense to go this route for many reasons. Contacting your SB members and asking them to support this kind of initiative is probably the best way to help at this point.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Fitzie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I have to ask.......

Any plans for funding a new HS field? If yes, synthetic or 100 yards of loam, a ridiculous volume of grass seed and the labor required to spread both?

:D
Fitzie

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Fitzie wrote:I have to ask.......

Any plans for funding a new HS field? If yes, synthetic or 100 yards of loam, a ridiculous volume of grass seed and the labor required to spread both?

This isn't in the purview of the BC unless it shows up in the budget or on a warrant. As of right now, I don't think that Planning & Building has completed their cost/benefit analysis of the alternatives to a deep-enough level for the School Board to act. I would be surprised if it showed up in this year's budget. Besides, I am sure that the SB doesn't want too much controversy on the ballot during a teacher contract year and they still have to deal with the CIP which slates a new building project for SAU & Special Ed offices in this next budget.
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Fitzie,

Go urge Nashua to spend money where you live instead of encouraging others to pick my pockets why don't you?
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Fitzie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 am

TonyRichardson wrote:

Fitzie,

Go urge Nashua to spend money where you live instead of encouraging others to pick my pockets why don't you?

THUD THUD THUD......
THUD THUD THUD......
THUD THUD THUD......

Sorry Tony, I couldn't hear you over the sound of those evil-liberal nails staking you to the cross.

"Pick my pockets"....give it a rest will ya? As much as it might give you something to complain about here's a little dose of reality: There is no super-secret group of liberals meeting at undisclosed locations plotting to pick Tony Richardson's pockets. Its a fantasy.

The topic was brought up months ago, as has been the case since I actually lived there 9 years ago. There was debate here on this forum regarding if the filed should be updated and if so, what technology was best suited. I was simply curious if the matter went on for further discussion and if so, what direction was chosen. Nowhere did I mention whether I thought it was needed or not, but since you bring it up......the field is abysmal and has been since at least 2000. If however you're OK with that, so am I. I have no need to ask Nashua to build new HS fields because Nashua's two High Schools......actually have good fields.
Fitzie

Postby timothy dutton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 am

Fitzie,

Again, Why do you even bother to stick your nose into Merrimack business? Sounds like you miss Merrimack!
timothy dutton

Postby Fitzie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 am

timothy dutton wrote:Fitzie,

Again, Why do you even bother to stick your nose into Merrimack business? Sounds like you miss Merrimack!

Again Tim, my address doesn't play a role in the field question. I think I explained this before to you but in case you've forgotten here it is from the "turf" thread:

Tim.....YES, I moved from town. Doesn't change a thing regarding the turf vs grass question but apparently hearing that makes you feel better.

Anyway I'm hopeful that whoever is charged with looking at the expense, usage and longevity of both options does so without having to listen to half-hearted insincere crap like this:

I agree all sides need to be looked at. However, turf fields are very expensive ($1,000,000+) to put in and replace in about 8 years. May have some limited use in the summer due to the heat a turf field produces.

Translation: I'm pretending to want a fair evaluation but I really don't because I've already made up my mind.

Doesn't matter where one lives Tim....crap is crap everywhere.

Pay particular attention to the last statement Tim. Crap is still crap. If you can't come up with a defendable argument or position on a relevant topic introducing my address is....well Tim....crap.

I don't "miss" MMK but I admit really do like the town. Sometimes I think I like it more than many of the people who live there, especially when I see actions I view as lessening the town as a whole. Sure these are only my opinions Tim but what you need to get through that head of yours is this: The viability or value of my (or anyone's) opinion is not made better or worse based on where they live. I hope you get this Tim, its getting boring having to explain to you.
Fitzie

Postby timothy dutton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 am

Sorry I posted did not mean to hit a nerve. Relax and enjoy Nashua. Just remember your opinions regarding Merrimack mean nothing as you are not a resident. I am sure that if upgrading the fields comes up, everyone in Merrimack will be allowed to speak their own views. I just gave mine and you don't agree with me. That is what makes our government great! If you want Merrimack to have turf fields, I am sure the school district would gladly take a donation. Hopefully you can go shopping at the outlet mall this weekend and relax and spend money in Merrimack. Have a great weekend.
timothy dutton

Postby Fitzie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 am

timothy dutton wrote:Sorry I posted did not mean to hit a nerve. Relax and enjoy Nashua. Just remember your opinions regarding Merrimack mean nothing as you are not a resident. I am sure that if upgrading the fields comes up, everyone in Merrimack will be allowed to speak their own views. I just gave mine and you don't agree with me. That is what makes our government great! If you want Merrimack to have turf fields, I am sure the school district would gladly take a donation. Hopefully you can go shopping at the outlet mall this weekend and relax and spend money in Merrimack. Have a great weekend.

wow.......remember this statement I just made?

lessening the town as a whole

well Timmy you're the poster boy. I wish you well in your venture to drag the town into a fight with Pelham for position in the state.

I won't be going near the mall this weekend. Perhaps you can shuffle over bleary-eyed after a few beers and ribs, gleeful in the hope that abandoning you're own zoning rules at the expense of a few residents will allow yourself another 2 happy meals at McDonalds every year. Oh the joy at having a brewery AND mall in the same town!!!
Fitzie

Return to School Topics