School Board Examining idea of Turf Field

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 pm

http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/sch ... ments_list

We can't afford to build a new fire house for $1million that will benefit the entire town but will consider spending close to $1million on a synthetic turf field that is used for less than 6 months a year. I think that Planning & Building Committe needs to take a break. Last year it was the new SAU building (which we don't need) and now this.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Re: School Board Examining idea of Turf Field

Postby Debra Huffman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Jeannine. I'm glad the SB asked the committee to continue gathering info. If there really are revenue generating possibilities and maintenance savings, it could end up being a smart move. There's no way to know until they finish the next stage of investigation. If it ends up with a million dollar price tag with no offsetting cost savings or revenue, I doubt many people will be supportive.
Debra Huffman

Postby Fitzie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Jeannine. I know, I know....I'm in Nashua. That aside, synthetic fields pretty much maintain themselves with the exception of the need to occassionally add rubber pellets. They're completely impervious to the elements and its been my experience that the more recent designs reduce certain types of injuries like twisted ankles and knees.

I don't know if MMK 'needs" one or not, I'm only stating from experience that synthetic has many advantages. This comes from a person who didn't believe or particularly like synthetic fields to begin with.
Fitzie

Postby TonyRichardson » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

How about finding a corporate sponsor for this for the people that think this is such a good idea instead of reaching deeper into ALL our pockets to benefit a few.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Stan Heinrich » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm

As a member of the Merrimack School Planning and Building Committee I would like to answer some of the questions/concerns raised in earlier posts.
First the committee was asked by the Merrimack School Board to research and come with recomendations as to what to do about the Admin and Sped offices last year.
This year we were asked to do the same for the track and field area at the High School.

Currently, the grass field at the High School is limited in what can be played there because it is real grass and gets torn up.
A synthetic turf field can and would be used 12 months a year.
It would be able to be used by football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, the marching band and others.
The up front cost to build this is a lot of money, but the benefits of having this type of field would allow many more people in town to use it.
Corporate sponsorhips were not something the SPBC was aked to look into because the School Board would first have to decide if they wanted it.
However as an fyi, the National Football League gave Nashua and Laconia $200,00 grants toward the cost of their synthetic turf fields.

Please read our intial report before assuming anything.
Or better still talk to a SPBC member and maybe come to a meeting.

Thank you.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Stan

Have you ever said NO to anything that cost money? If you have I must have missed that memo. You can't do anything on the field? Is this like we NEEDED a new school? And need a new SAU building? If the field cost 800K+ and we get a 200K grant that's still at least 600K we have to cough up in this economy? We need new roofs on several schools and a fire station in town before we need astroturf.

Let the sports teams come up with some fundraisers or locate more grants.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby TonyRichardson » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Stan Heinrich wrote:As a member of the Merrimack School Planning and Building Committee I would like to answer some of the questions/concerns raised in earlier posts.
First the committee was asked by the Merrimack School Board to research and come with recomendations as to what to do about the Admin and Sped offices last year.
This year we were asked to do the same for the track and field area at the High School.

Currently, the grass field at the High School is limited in what can be played there because it is real grass and gets torn up.
A synthetic turf field can and would be used 12 months a year.
It would be able to be used by football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, the marching band and others.
The up front cost to build this is a lot of money, but the benefits of having this type of field would allow many more people in town to use it.
Corporate sponsorhips were not something the SPBC was aked to look into because the School Board would first have to decide if they wanted it.
However as an fyi, the National Football League gave Nashua and Laconia $200,00 grants toward the cost of their synthetic turf fields.

Please read our intial report before assuming anything.
Or better still talk to a SPBC member and maybe come to a meeting.

Thank you.

*emphasis mine*

Use it 12 months a year? .... Seriously??

Is there a $10M coming for a dome to permit that on the way for next year?
Or are you planning to make it a skating rink for the winter months?

Grass fields have worked fine for sports for thousands of years....

An artificial field is a want, not a need.

We are not required, and should not spend money on things because Nashua got whatever it is.
They have a far larger tax base to pay for it than we do.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Fitzie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

Tony if that was a dig at me it was wrongly aimed. My kids went to BG where the soccer field is absolutely pathetic and includes the frigin' sand portion of the baseball field. My comments were purely based on experience.....synthetic fields are essentailly maintenance free. Because they have a rubber base and absorb heat they also melt out and are useable several weeks before grass. There are several turf fields in Lancaster MA and in a typical year they're in use sometime in February. This year they went all 12 months. I know, I've been there. These are simply facts, I have no skin in the "want vs need" game.

I didn't mention this at first but MMK's field has been questionable for years. Go walk it sometime.....its a mess.
Fitzie

Postby Stan Heinrich » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:58 am

I will suggest again you read the report and/or come to a meeting before making uneducated statements.
There is a NEED for a new SAU/SPED office. If you had bothered to read that report you would clearly see that.
While you may HATE to spend any money you cannot stay in the stone age forever.
As far as a dome goes, the school board liasion has suggested it.
As a committee we decided against suggesting it because it cost way too much money.
Have a nice day!
Stan Heinrich

Postby timothy dutton » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

Turf Issues

Excessive heat. Artificial surfaces are dramatically hotter than natural grass
fields, reaching temperatures up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit and possibly
contributing to burns, dehydration, and heat exhaustion. They may be too hot to
play on at times. Watering cools them down but they heat back up quickly.
High cost. Artificial fields cost in the range of one-half to two million dollars.

Friction. Some types of artificial turf can cause skin abrasion to a greater extent
than natural grass.

Maintenance. The crumb rubber may need to be raked to maintain a uniform
depth. Solvents and adhesives may be needed to repair seams. Leaves, gum,
and other debris need to be regularly removed or they may clog the drainage
system.

Short Life. Artificial turf has a life expectancy, with proper maintenance, of five to
ten years compared to at least 15 years for grass fields. Meaning $ 1,000,000 every 7-10 years.

Disposal. One football field contains approximately 120 tons of crumb rubber or
26,000 recycled tires. Crumb rubber takes more than 25 years to break down
completely.
timothy dutton

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Fitzie wrote:Tony if that was a dig at me it was wrongly aimed. My kids went to BG where the soccer field is absolutely pathetic and includes the frigin' sand portion of the baseball field. My comments were purely based on experience.....synthetic fields are essentailly maintenance free. Because they have a rubber base and absorb heat they also melt out and are useable several weeks before grass. There are several turf fields in Lancaster MA and in a typical year they're in use sometime in February. This year they went all 12 months. I know, I've been there. These are simply facts, I have no skin in the "want vs need" game.

I didn't mention this at first but MMK's field has been questionable for years. Go walk it sometime.....its a mess.

If it was aimed at you Fitzie, I would have quoted you.
TonyRichardson

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Stan

Here are my comments I made after reading the report about the proposed SAU building last year:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6141&p=100773&hilit=SAU#p100773
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Fitzie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Tim,

In all honesty this reads like a scary story fashioned by a grass seed company or landscape technician union. "May get too hot", "some types", "may need to be raked".....come on. For this to have any meaning you'd have to assume MMK purchase the wrong type of turf which I'm assuming isn't being considered.

Turf is not perfect. Does it get hot? Yup in the dead of summer it gets hot. I've been going to them for 12 years and never once has a game been cancelled because of excessive heat. Ever. This field would be built in MMK, NH, not Las Vegas.

As far as skin abrasions go, yes there are a higher number of what are more commonly called skin burns with turf. That said since synthetic is flat, dry and uniform in depth and pitch the opportunity for torn ACLs and MCLs are reduced drastically. My guess is the average person would prefer the skin burn.

I can't believe the maintenance or life arguments at all. If either were true there wouldn't be a turf field in existence in the country. The best draining fields in the state reside in Epping at the Seacoast United Complex. When other grass fields are unplayable vats of mud the games are rescheduled to this complex.

For those focused on the cost, when making the comparison do not measure the costs of maintaining a crappy field against those for a new, dry and level synthetic one.

Disposal.....really? In MMK? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fitzie

Postby timothy dutton » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

And, You are involved in this conversation Why?
timothy dutton

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:57 pm

timothy

And he finds it amusing too.
Jeannine Stergios

Next

Return to School Topics