Annual School District Meeting: Deliberative Session

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Annual School District Meeting: Deliberative Session

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:37 am

Don't forget that the Annual School District Meeting is tonight! The DS handout is here http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us/files/news/deliberative%20session%20handout%2Epdf and the meeting details are below.

Annual School District Meeting
Merrimack School District 2011-2012 Budget
Session 1 – Deliberation
March 6, 2012
7:00 PM
Mastricola Upper Elementary School All Purpose Room
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Re: Annual School District Meeting: Deliberative Session

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:15 pm

The budget is for 2012-2013, I believe the handout had a mistake in the budget dates :o :lol:
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 am

Nice seeing you up and around Mr Phillips!
Brian McCarthy

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 am

Norm, Please check your email settings in your profile - make sure your current email address is listed.
Brian McCarthy

Postby RayWhipple » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 am

Really wish I could have attended but I had a mandatory class @ work until 10pm in Newburyport Ma. How did it go?
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 am

RayWhipple wrote:Really wish I could have attended but I had a mandatory class @ work until 10pm in Newburyport Ma. How did it go?

Some interesting discussion but no changes to the warrant. The Merrimack Patch article is a pretty good synopsis and can be found here
http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/voters-attempt-200k-cut-from-school-budget
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby tooth350 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 am

I watched the session on TV and saw an amendment to cut $200,000 from what i think is an over inflated school budget. The amendment was defeated and i saw some discussion on fuel prices with it for the transportation contracts, I can only assume the contract with First Student hasn't been finalized yet, This is my question, If we're paying for the fuel on that contract then why are these buses just sitting on the sides of roads waiting to start their routes while the"r running and wasting fuel, i pass 2 busses every morning and when i come back through they,re still sitting, thats at least 25 minutes each, Add that everyday and the fuel costs start mounting up and thats just 2 buses. Are all the Buses we rent from First Student doing this? Maybe its time our school board and school budget commitee takes a hard look at this problem and also when was the last time they even took a look at the inside of some of these buses? You'll see torn seats the students have to sit on and the inside of some buses are dirty. So this is to all those citizens that voted to turn down the amendment, you were wrong, go out on your own and just see the buses just sitting on the sides of roads waiting to pick up the first student and just time it, thats all and then ask yourself "why are we paying for them to leave the bus yard so early?"and waste fuel and their pay i'am paying in the contract at $8.00 and hour or 20 minutes per day 5 days a week times 9 months approx. you figure out and it starts adding up oh and how many buses go out doing this every morning?
tooth350

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:57 pm

The buses do start to roll at least 45 minutes before school gets out. I see this every day. I agree with tooth. Seems like lots of wasted fuel
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 pm

If you go back to the school board meeting on Feb 20th (I believe) you'll hear Matt Shevenell discuss the bidding process for a 5 year contract, with 2 contracts being awarded - regular transportation to Goffstown Trucking (has another name) and SpEd to The Provider. First STudent bid, but did not receive the contract. Many of the details are discussed, but the net-net is that they'll be working with the vendors to optimize routes (when possible) for regular transportation, and try to share routes with other districts for SpEd. The $200K "savings" is potential with the new vendors if the optimization is successful. Given that the contract is not yet signed, it's not a finalized situation, and as such the budget amount was left the same until we get a contract and know whether the savings are achievable when the new vendors start bussing in the fall. In terms of the "idling" busses and doing similar routes, you have to remember there are two distinct times of bussing each morning - earlier for the middle school and high school, and then later for the elementary and upper elementary. The second/later routes have parallelism, because the 3 elementary schools are "regional", and the upper elementary is "central". In terms of lost $$ due to idling, that shouldn't be an issue for the town, since the $$ for the annual contract is based on what the bus company budgets, not the actual amount used.....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:18 am

Andy

I hope if you are elected to the School Board that you provide shorter replies. The real answer was in the last sentence.

I see the buses heading to the upper elementary school at least 45 minutes before school is dismissed. I see them on Baboosic Lake Rd near my neighborhood and that's the only school that far up Baboosic Lake Rd.

I look at the time and it's usually around 1:45pm and think to myself that the buses roll almost all day in this town. I am serious that it should be investigated.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby tooth350 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 am

Jeannine is right, andy you have to keep your reply shorter, ( just kidding) write whatever you want. I know about First Student only because i went there looking to drive a bus during the week and still drive a limo on the weekends,I was let go with 1 week to go before the state driving test because the trainer felt i was only there to get my CDLB which was false so i found The Provider bus company and have been with them now since school started and drive special needs kids to a school in Rye Nh, and am happy with the professionalism with this company. I do pick up 1 student here in Merrimack along with 1 student in Amherst starting at 6:30 am every morning and see 1 first student bus sitting on a street off continental blvd at about 6am and when i come back through at 6:40 am still there and another on river road off exit 12 and this is what i say about the fuel costs, both buses are idling with parking lights on just sitting waiting. This is what i was saying. I'am not picking on any bus company or employes but everytime i see my tax bill i see red and wonder if i'll even be able to stay here. Have a Great Day all.
tooth350

Postby tooth350 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 am

and also the company i work for doesn't allow us to to idle our buses while we'r waiting and we arrive about 5 minutes early at the pick up spot therby reducing costs to the company and the school district. If you don't think the fuel costs arn't figured into those bids you'r living on another planet or just don't care because the tax money doesn't come directly out of your pocket every day. Any company today in the transportation business has had to raise prices or add on a fuel surchare just to survive, and if some of those in that business took a hands on approach it might help our bottom line.
tooth350

Postby andysinnh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:31 am

Tooth/Jeannine - apologies for my lengthy response - I will work on my brevity moving forward (not a new challenge for me). It was in part to clarify that it won't be First Student moving forward, but I agree that economies should always be pursued. I'll follow up with each of you via a PM since I do have a couple of observations I'd like to share.

thanks - andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Return to School Topics