2012-2013 School Budget

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: 2012-2013 School Budget

Postby ggkrupp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:16 pm

There will be a meeting of the Merrimack School Board on Monday, December 19 (tonight) at 7:30PM in the Merrimack Town Hall Meeting Room. Please see the link below for the complete agenda. Administration's proposed budget changes will be presented.

http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us/files/filesystem/Preliminary%2012-19-11%20Agenda.pdf
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I will be watching.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby ggkrupp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 pm

The School Board has finished its deliberations on the budget. The $600K roofing project was put back into the budget while offsetting cuts were made elsewhere to arrive at a bottom line number of $65,505,395 ($15,680 less the Administration's original proposal). The budget is now in the School Budget Committee's hands.
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:15 am

They found $600k they could cut in order to add the roofing back in? I started watching and the Special Ed folks were talking for quite some time so I switched the station planing to return in 30 minutes but fell asleep and woke up at 10:15.

Thanks for the update.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:49 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:They found $600k they could cut in order to add the roofing back in? I started watching and the Special Ed folks were talking for quite some time so I switched the station planing to return in 30 minutes but fell asleep and woke up at 10:15.

Thanks for the update.

Hi, Jeannine - they found $314K to cut, which when added to the amount they were below last year's "level funding" figure, added up to the $6xxK they needed to offset the roof being added into the budget. When all of the dust settled, and a couple of smaller additional cuts were proposed, the budget of $65.5M is about $15k below last year's budget as it stands now. If you are able to watch the replay on either the web or channel 21, you can see the way they got to this number - the conversation was interesting to listen to.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:53 pm

andy

Level funding when we have less and less students is simply not good enough for me.

Is the roof an absolute necessity this year? How many bids have they gotten?

I find it interesting that the cuts can be found when pushed to find them. There's much more that can be cut. I have gone through their budgets and all they do is base their spending on what they spent the year before over and over and over again. So if they spent $10,000 on supplies in 2004 that's what they budget for the following year plus add5%. After 6 years the cost is increased by 30% while the number of students in their school has dropped by 20%. One school is paying 10K per year for a maintenance contract for a copier, a fax machine and 12 PCs. Are you kidding me? This expense is in the budget year after year.

I also believe that asking the taxpayers to spend $26k on field trips is too much as well. If you divide the 26K into the number of students in school it comes to $6.20 each. Let the people who are benefiting from the trip pay for it - not the taxpayers. Or have a fundraiser and raise the money.

There's plenty more I can share if anyone is interested.
Did you know we have 50 Special Ed Teachers in this town?

When are people going to wake up?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby TonyRichardson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:00 pm

andysinnh wrote:
Jeannine Stergios wrote:They found $600k they could cut in order to add the roofing back in? I started watching and the Special Ed folks were talking for quite some time so I switched the station planing to return in 30 minutes but fell asleep and woke up at 10:15.

Thanks for the update.

Hi, Jeannine - they found $314K to cut, which when added to the amount they were below last year's "level funding" figure, added up to the $6xxK they needed to offset the roof being added into the budget. When all of the dust settled, and a couple of smaller additional cuts were proposed, the budget of $65.5M is about $15k below last year's budget as it stands now. If you are able to watch the replay on either the web or channel 21, you can see the way they got to this number - the conversation was interesting to listen to.

andy

$65.5 Million is, in my opinion, far too much money to spend given the number of students in the schools.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby RBarnes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Is the roof an absolute necessity this year?

The roof is actually at the point of leaking and if not fixed will result in the school not being able to use several classrooms next year. That was one of the reasons given for putting this expense directly into the budget instead of putting it up as a warrant article.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Rick

$625K is quite a bit of money to put in one year.
Has there been any money placed into a Capital improvement fund for this?

How many bids have they gotten? Obviously the roof won't be done until Spring so there is time to get a few more bids. How old is the bid they have?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Rick

$625K is quite a bit of money to put in one year.
Has there been any money placed into a Capital improvement fund for this?

How many bids have they gotten? Obviously the roof won't be done until Spring so there is time to get a few more bids. How old is the bid they have?

Jeannine - they actually put an estimated amount into the budget as a placeholder, and once the budget is approved, they go out to bid and get a quote that's at or below the budgeted amount - and any unused money gets sent back to the taxpayers. Remember that this budgeted amount won't be spent until (at earliest) 1-Jul-2012, the first day of the next fiscal year. Tom Touseau, the Maintenance director, is very accurate in his estimates on this stuff, based on his knowledge of the previous roof projects and also what he's hearing from vendors in the area. As such, his recommended amounts always result in at or below actual spend figures. One thing to keep in mind is that the quality of the roofing is just as important as the overall cost - and specficially the timeframe of the warranty that the vendor will come out and correct problems. The new roofing projects now have 25-30 year warranties (maybe longer as we move forward), and this means that spend money on a quality material results in longer times until the project needs to be done again - not something that was the case in some of the roofing projects from a decade or more ago...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Doesn't the School have a Capital Improvements fund?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Doesn't the School have a Capital Improvements fund?

There was a fund for the roofing maintenance a few years ago (Capital Reserve Fund for that purpose), but it was drained for the previous roofing projects. If I remember correctly, there was discussion last year about putting some money into a CRF for this (and future) roofing projects as a warrant article, but due to the tight budget last year a decision was made to not propose it. As such, there is no current CRF for this sort of project, and the funds come out of the budget. The SB felt that having this in the main budget was preferrable to having a separate warrant article, since the replacement of this roof MUST be done due to existing leaks and other issues. If it were a warrant article and didn't pass, then there would be a significant problem in trying to find the $$ to fund this needed project.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 am

andysinnh wrote: The SB felt that having this in the main budget was preferrable to having a separate warrant article, since the replacement of this roof MUST be done due to existing leaks and other issues.

The School Board is right on this one Jeannine. We have a leaking roof and 5 years worth of roof replacement projects behind it (meaning no year to defer this project to). It would be irresponsible not to include it in this budget in my opinion.

andysinnh wrote:
If it were a warrant article and didn't pass, then there would be a significant problem in trying to find the $$ to fund this needed project.

There would be more than a significant problem finding funding if it failed ... we would not be able to do the work regardless of whether we found funding or not because "No means no"
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby andysinnh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 am

ggkrupp wrote:
andysinnh wrote:
If it were a warrant article and didn't pass, then there would be a significant problem in trying to find the $$ to fund this needed project.

There would be more than a significant problem finding funding if it failed ... we would not be able to do the work regardless of whether we found funding or not because "No means no"

Correct. And what I actually was intending in my comment is that there would likely need to be more extensive repairs done rather than the entire project since the normal patching isn't feasible any longer... And that money would need to come from somewhere in the general budget..

And, frankly, since this is the first of many replacements to come, one could argue whether we do need to start putting some money in a CRF for the future projects (at the same time we fund the full MES roof for 2012-2013) so we can help level out the cost of these projects, since most are higher than $600K and some are lower (but not by much). Not sure if that's the right answer or not - but it's an ongoing big-ticket maintenance item for the forseeable future....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm not arguing about the need for the roof, I am stunned that no one budgeted for this large of an expense over the past few years.

They need to add 100K in the the fund every year for repairs. In fact, they could probably get some of the money if they didn't have $123K budgeted for maintenance on copiers and fax manchines and PC year after year. What happenes to that money? Is there a contract with a company that actually receives that much every year regardless of what needs repair? I think it would make more sense to have a $20,000 district wide maintenance fund so that any machines needing repair or replacement could be paid for out of this fund rather than the $123K spent on contracts every year. My opinion.
Jeannine Stergios

PreviousNext

Return to School Topics