Every Day Math

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Every Day Math

Postby sabrina » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 am

Sylvie wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but how/who picks that Every Day Math is used? I'm feeling rather feisty about this so I may want to rally something to get this changed. And I'd like to change the 'volunteer' policy as well while we're at it!!

I'll hop on your bandwagon:)
sabrina

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 am

I met with the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Dr. Mark McLaughlin yesterday afternoon for about two hours, mostly concerning Every Day Math. It was a good meeting that answered many of my questions. I encourage any of you to contact him for a similar meeting as Mark is concerned with meeting expectations and being effective with the curriculum. A couple of things I learned during that meeting where:

- The District recognized the weakness of Every Day Math in the area of Math facts and started a study 2 years ago that compared (1) Every Day Math with new Every Day Math module for Math Facts, (2) Current Every Day Math curriculum with additional flash card drilling and (3) Otter Creek (http://www.oci-sems.com/)
- Otter Creek is on the other end of the spectrum from Every Day Math - focused on Math Facts and less on application (story problems)
- Bottom line was that both option 2 & 3 significantly outperformed 1 and there was no statistical difference between 2 & 3 so the district has institutionalized option 2 for this school year (effective, low cost, and ease of implementation fed into the decision)

I still have issues with Every Day Math but this explanation seemed to me to be a reasonable 1st step. My criticism to Mark was that this approach was not communicated to the parents and the parents were not publicly consulted for buy-in. While not defending Every Day Math, I will say that a "formal" change in the curriculum will result in a budget impact that taxpayers in town may or may not support (buying new texts, teacher training, etc.). I am more inclined to support a vision that implements a low-cost hybrid program today (like the flash card option above) to deal with the weaknesses of the program and a long-term move to a curriculum that has parental buy-in that meets the learning needs of our kids.
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Who knew we'd have to pay to re-train teachers in the primary grades to teach Math. Good grief!! We didn't have Math textbooks when I was in grades 1-3. We were given mimeographed pages of math problems (I still remember the smell of the ink). No books.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:37 pm

We had it the same Jennine when I was young ... all worksheets from the mimeograph until 4th grade
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby mmoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm

The textbook publishers usually get in early on the standards so that they can produce the products to sell to districts so that they can do well on standard tests.

The best general materials that I've seen come from Singapore Math (in Colorado). The books are thin and cheap but the teacher really needs to know the material and some of the problems in the elementary books could be a challenge for teachers with college degrees.

I like Martin Garner's Aha! books too - basically fun math.

I also like a lot of the topics from the New Math (came out in the 1960s but it didn't work well because parents and teachers couldn't comprehend it).

Other issues that I have with teaching math is that the process isn't explained. There's a lot of information coded into a numbering system but kids are just expected to accepted the system and the algorithms that go with it.

My son tutors college math and science students and he's told me lots of stories about various issues with math and science preparedness.
mmoy

Previous

Return to School Topics