Every Day Math

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Every Day Math

Postby ggkrupp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 am

I just recently attended the curriculum night at Reed's Ferry Elementary where I got the standard yearly pitch on the Every Day Math curriculum. After I raised a question about the program's documented weakness in math facts, the teacher, to her credit, said that they would be integrating flash cards and maybe some timed tests into the instruction this year. My wife and I are not fans of Every Day Math. Are we the only ones? I would love to hear some thoughts from other parents in the district ...
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Re: Every Day Math

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am

"Everyday Math" has been a topic here for more than four years. I believe it's use has been a significant factor in some families choosing private education rather than Merrimack elementary schools. My personal experience is that it's much more important that the teacher be "math literate" and able to supplement the curriculum and demonstrate a love for math that is not often present in the elementary teachers I have known both in and out of the Merrimack school system. At Reeds Ferry my children have had teachers that strongly supplemented the math curriculum and teachers that taught just the official curriculum. One even stated they had difficulty understanding the presentation of certain Everyday Math subjects themselves.

There have been a few other math related forum topics but these pertained most directly to "Everyday Math" and it's use in Merrimack.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3730
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3630
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3824
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3995
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4047
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5544
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5578

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby ggkrupp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for the links Nat ... I'll check them out!
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Sylvie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Gary...we too got the 'plug' on Every Day math and the use of flashcards. We're not a big fan of it either.

On a side note on Reeds Ferry - I'm puzzled by the 'odd rule' that parents can not volunteer in their own child's classroom. I've taken a small poll of friends who work in nearby school districts and they all allow parent volunteering in their child's classroom. Most even have a class parent that helps with making copies, organizing field trips, assisting with classroom activities, etc. But it's okay if the substitute teacher subs in their child's class room. Makes sense huh?
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby ggkrupp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:53 am

My wife and I have talked about the volunteering thing too. She is part of the PFA and in the school often (pop-corn and ice cream days, etc.) and we both think it is silly that the policy prevents having "Room Moms" which we've heard works well in other schools. I think the District misses out on an opportunity to get some free help for the teachers with this policy. :?

My wife did just remind me that there is actually some good reasoning behind this policy. Some children are a little too attached to their parents and won't behave if they are in the room. I could see where that would create a problem ...
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Re: Every Day Math/Classroom Volunteers

Postby sbl09 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm

My children are now out of the Merrimack school system but back when they were in elementary school (mid to late 90's) the policy of not letting parents volunteer in their child's class room was in place and it was the main reason I didn't volunteer very much at the school. Personally my attitude was if I was going to make time to volunteer at the school, my reward was to have a chance to see my children in a setting that was outside the home.

There was however one program that allowed a parent to volunteer and be directly involved with their child,the Math Super Stars program. I participated in the program for 4 or 5 years. My children and their friends were really excited to participate because of my involvement in their classes.

This may be a gross generalization but most people who volunteer will be respectful of the teacher and the classroom environment, so won't allow their child to be disruptive when they are present as a volunteer. So prohibiting a volunteer parent from the classroom of their child seems to be insulting to the parents and certainly reduces the enthusiasm of potential volunteers.
sbl09

Postby MattPublicover » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Gary, as a parent of kids who have been taught Everyday Math, I have to admit that I, too, was not a fan of the program based on their experiences in the math curriculum. But last year, as a member of the School Budget Committee, I was on the Elementary School subcommittee. When we met with the three elementary school principals, they indicated that my kids (at the time one was in 9th grade and the other had graduated the previous year) were among the classes that got the prior version of math education in their early years of school, and then the curriculum switched over to Everyday Math. This, of course, could have caused some math confusion for such kids. The administrators said the kids in town who are a bit younger than my own, which I believe would have been up to grade 6 at that point, have had Everyday Math from the start, and they said we are beginning to see the improvements in the NECAP scores resulting from a consistent Everyday Math curriculum for their entire elementary school years.

I have not independently confirmed these statements or analyzed recent math testing results, but in fairness to the administrators, I thought I would share their comments and opinions with you. They seemed supportive of the program. Perhaps they were just echoing the party line, but ultimately, it is the results that matter, how well the kids learn math. Perhaps someone reading this forum has the testing data to back up the elementary school principals' views.
MattPublicover

Postby sabrina » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 am

Everyday math is awful. We teach our kids our way as well so they are well prepared prior to entering the middle school-it stops in the middle school. If you have time, watch this video and you will get a crystal clear picture about how bad everyday math is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI
sabrina

Postby ggkrupp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:41 am

Matt & Sabrina - Thank you for your perspectives ... that really helps
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Sylvie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Wow Sabrina...that hurt my head to watch that! Thanks for sharing that!! How ironic that they call it Everyday Math. Boggling that there are several pages on how to use a calculator. No wonder kids can't count my change back at Dunkin Donuts :(
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby sabrina » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Sylvie wrote:Wow Sabrina...that hurt my head to watch that! Thanks for sharing that!! How ironic that they call it Everyday Math. Boggling that there are several pages on how to use a calculator. No wonder kids can't count my change back at Dunkin Donuts :(

RIGHT! My husband found it when our oldest started 1st grade, and it is so true and it is really bothersome to us that our kids are forced to learn it.
sabrina

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm

I've been through this battle before and have no desire to enter it again, but I can't resist adding just two things:

1. Hollis recently got rid of Everyday Math, following hundreds of other school districts around the country. Bedford has an active parents group trying to get rid of Everyday Math. If anyone is seriously interested in working on this, I will happily pass along the email address of a woman in Bedford who is involved with this.

2. I will confirm that Merrimack's NECAP scores have improved in recent years. What does that say? It says they are being educated in a way that is consistent with what NECAP tests for. Does that mean they have a better understanding of math? I'll let others be the judge. You can read volumes of opinions about how NECAP is designed.

Good luck.
Debra Huffman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Waste of time to teach Math that way. Far too complicated and time consuming to arrive at the same answer you could figure out in seconds.

They thought letting First graders spell how it sounded was a good idea too. I never bought into that theory either and told my kids to learn how to spell correctly. Why don't they leave the basics alone?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby sabrina » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Waste of time to teach Math that way. Far too complicated and time consuming to arrive at the same answer you could figure out in seconds.

They thought letting First graders spell how it sounded was a good idea too. I never bought into that theory either and told my kids to learn how to spell correctly. Why don't they leave the basics alone?

They still do that in 1st and 2nd grade with the spelling.... and when you question them they get defensive about it, their mentality has gone out the window... it's called being lazy and not having to have to actually teach!!
sabrina

Postby Sylvie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 am

Please excuse my ignorance, but how/who picks that Every Day Math is used? I'm feeling rather feisty about this so I may want to rally something to get this changed. And I'd like to change the 'volunteer' policy as well while we're at it!!
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Next

Return to School Topics