Why there are no high school class schedules yet

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Why there are no high school class schedules yet

Postby MattPublicover » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 pm

As a parent of a Merrimack High School student, I was wondering why the class schedules were not available yet. Thank you to Carolyn Dube and the Merrimack Patch for finding out!

http://merrimack.patch.com/articles/mhs ... ic-failure

I sympathize with Superintendent Chiafery, Principal Johnson and their staffs for having to deal with this situation. But I do hope we find out why the data loss occurred, and why we do not have adequate digital back-up in this day and age. No doubt this will be a topic of discussion at the next School Board meeting.
MattPublicover

Re: Why there are no high school class schedules yet

Postby Sylvie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Is it true that the person charged with maintaining 'backups' was laid off?
MMKTownie
Sylvie

Postby TonyRichardson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:08 am

Sylvie wrote:Is it true that the person charged with maintaining 'backups' was laid off?

Not directly material since the school should have designated a replacement to perform the function.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:22 am

Anyone in the tech industry knows that a complete backup strategy has to include a 'restore' test otherwise the bits you have stored away are useless.

However, if that story is accurate, there was no plan in place and no one asking that question.

Just as an FYI, the Town does have a plan, and that plan is being reviewed by the Technology Committee.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby ggkrupp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I can't help but wonder if this data loss is in any way related to the fact that my son's schedule was quite different than we expected. He received neither of his elective choices and they boosted him from college prep up to honors level in one course. Still waiting to talk with Guidance on what can be done to fix the problem :?
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby MattPublicover » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:01 pm

You are usually at the School Board meetings, Gary. The topic of the data loss is not on the posted agenda for the September 6 meeting, but if it doesn't come up in discussion, you might want to pose the question. I am sure that there are other parents, as well as taxpayers who are not parents, who would be interested in hearing the full details, including what is being done to prevent a recurrence. Superintendent Chiafery and her administration are good and competent people, and I am sure this is receiving their utmost attention, so it is just a matter of getting the info out to the public in a timely fashion.
MattPublicover

Postby ggkrupp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Not a bad idea Matt ... I am hoping to make the next meeting so maybe I can ask in the early public comments section

Just as a follow-up to my earlier post, I did get to talk with my son's councilor today and she suspects a possible error in the manual reentry of the data was the cause of our particular problem but they hope to get it all straightened out on Tuesday. When I spoke with her, she had been in 10 min meetings with students regarding schedule issues all day.
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

My son's scheduled was also not 'as planned' at the end of the year. There were some course changes that were made that didn't make it. He's making the adjustments today.

As for the data loss. Given the amount of hours it must have taken to re-enter, if the issue was actually data loss and there was no backup to be found - some really needs to be shown how close they are to the door and how many other people there are ready to apply for the job.
Brian McCarthy

Postby TonyRichardson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:My son's scheduled was also not 'as planned' at the end of the year. There were some course changes that were made that didn't make it. He's making the adjustments today.

As for the data loss. Given the amount of hours it must have taken to re-enter, if the issue was actually data loss and there was no backup to be found - some really needs to be shown how close they are to the door and how many other people there are ready to apply for the job.

Agreed

But I do have to say that in my experience until someone (or group/business etc) is burned by data loss from not backing up, it gets short shrift in planning, budgeting, and execution until the inevitable happens. Then the money/time is found after the loss.

I've seen it happen to individuals, in business, and in the service.

ICBM always wins the first one.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby ggkrupp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

View the 9-6-2011 School Board Meeting when Merrimack TV puts it in the rotation if you are interested in this data loss subject. Matt Shevenell addressed the data loss in the comments section of the meeting (near the end) tonight. I am not sure it will satisfy those who were inconvenienced but Administration has at least gone on the record with their explanation of events. Mr. Shevenell was also quite willing to discuss the matter further with me but I was satisfied. Don't hesitate to contact him if the meeting explanation isn't enough for you.

Incidentally, the Guidance Office was able to put my son's schedule back together again. He didn't get one of his electives but he did get all of his other classes and he was able to drop his study to pick up another course so we are happy. :D
Gary G. Krupp

ggkrupp

Return to School Topics