Should we be focusing on class size?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Should we be focusing on class size?

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:50 pm

REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Re: Should we be focusing on class size?

Postby Dennis King » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Interesting article Jeannine, thanks for posting this. I posted another article today about more NH schools being in need of improvement (In Nashua it is ALL the schools save one).

The status quo is not working and we must look not only to the past but also to the future for the changes that must be made. New schools with innovative teaching methods. How about using the European model of apprenticeships? First we must eliminate tenure, then covert pensions to 401K's, fix sick and vacation times, expand the school day to an 8 hour day so no need for homework or carrying books around and then we can look are reducing class sizes and INCREASING teacher pay for the really great ones who are left.

The teachers would benefit (except for the hacks who make all teachers look bad) and of course the kids will benefit the most. Isn't that what the teachers union says, it is for "the children" as they demand more pension and health benefits. Jeannine, you are so right, I had 40 in my elementary class so the size is not the most important factor. No, it is the teacher who works hard to inspire their students. We have all met them and the sad thing is we remember them as exceptions, very sad indeed.
Dennis King

Postby RayWhipple » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I really feel that if we get rid of all the federal regulation that cost taxpayers a lot of money but does not work. There are programs that work in Alaska but not here.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby ggkrupp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 pm

RayWhipple wrote:I really feel that if we get rid of all the federal regulation that cost taxpayers a lot of money but does not work. There are programs that work in Alaska but not here.

Why stop there? Save us all a lot of heartache and money by doing away with the Dept of Education at the Federal level ... The States are grown-ups and can devise their own educational strategies and standards to follow. There is no Constitutional authority for the Federal Government to be involved in education anyway. :?
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby TonyRichardson » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:40 pm

ggkrupp wrote:
RayWhipple wrote:I really feel that if we get rid of all the federal regulation that cost taxpayers a lot of money but does not work. There are programs that work in Alaska but not here.

Why stop there? Save us all a lot of heartache and money by doing away with the Dept of Education at the Federal level ... The States are grown-ups and can devise their own educational strategies and standards to follow. There is no Constitutional authority for the Federal Government to be involved in education anyway. :?

There is no constitutional authority for the feds to be involved in most of the things they do.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Return to School Topics