Teachers vote themselves jobs

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Teachers vote themselves jobs

Postby RBarnes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Ken Coleman wrote:In other words, if the state cuts occur the school district may need every last dime of the budgeted amount for special education and then some.

Based on our state constitution I fail to understand how our state can get away placing mandates on towns but then not covering the cost of those mandates.

[Art.] 28-a. [Mandated Programs.] The state shall not mandate or assign any new, expanded or modified programs or responsibilities to any political subdivision in such a way as to necessitate additional local expenditures by the political subdivision unless such programs or responsibilities are fully funded by the state or unless such programs or responsibilities are approved for funding by a vote of the local legislative body of the political subdivision.

Only thing I can think of is that since most special education laws are on the federal level that's how they can by pass the state constitutional requirement to also fund them.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Stan Heinrich » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Dennis, as far what you posted you are correct that you did not say a secret ballot happened.
As far as if a secret ballot would have changed things I believe you are dead wrong.
The yes vote to cut was first, followed by the no vote. So those in favor of the cut had the chance to express their decision first.
Those voting no showed there cards second. As I said earlier, it wasn't even close. A secret ballot, in my opinion, would not have changed the outcome.
Also, since when is it not ok for teachers,and para's who are residents and registered voters to express their opinion or vote on an issue.
The name of this thread is also misleading. There was only 1 halftime teacher to be cut from the proposal.
As said earlier the room was not packed with teachers. There were many "Jane Q citizens" who came out to listen and vote.
Oh and if you thing I am gleefully attacking you at least allow me to sing. :lol:
Stan Heinrich

Postby Dennis King » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Ken Coleman wrote:Regarding the 500K in cuts that did not pass school district meeting.

In reality this 500K of cuts might had have to come form other places anyway.

What this will mean at the end of the day is that the school district may have to pick up even more cost as state and federal law places the school district as the service provider of last resort for educational services for the disabled.

In other words, if the state cuts occur the school district may need every last dime of the budgeted amount for special education and then some.

Ken Coleman

Yet another legacy from Ken, making Merrimack a magnet for Special Ed!

The Billions spent in "stimulus funds" to retain teachers only delayed the inevitable, the pensions have helped bankrupt our country (14 Trillion national debt and a deficit this year alone at 1.6 Trillion). We can no longer delay the pain.

The other shoe will drop soon and funny, the SB was looking for a new building for special ed and the superintendent.

You guys are just clueless of the new reality. Eliminate kindergarten and return choice to the taxpayers. That should open up lots of new space! Time to make due with what you have, with enrollment down, time to look into selling the 2 grade middle school! Bet a nice charter school would grab it!
Dennis King

Postby Dennis King » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Stan Heinrich wrote:Dennis, as far what you posted you are correct that you did not say a secret ballot happened.

I accept your apology Stan.
Dennis King

Postby Ken Coleman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Dennis,

It is amazing that one person (me) is responsible for everything in the school district 6 years after I left the board.

It is a huge complement! Not many people have that kind of influence. Thank you!

Ken Coleman
Ken Coleman

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” Ben Franklin
Ken Coleman

Postby Dennis King » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Ken Coleman wrote:Dennis,

It is amazing that one person (me) is responsible for everything in the school district 6 years after I left the board.

It is a huge complement! Not many people have that kind of influence. Thank you!

Ken Coleman

Oh yeah, a magnet for special ed, the new middle school, union teachers in control of kindergarten, tens of thousands spent to make the 1st grade classrooms meet the kindergarten standards, and of course the legacy of low test scores from a culture of mediocrity, sure a lot to be proud of Ken.

I recall the way you and Rosemarie pushed for the middle school. After the taxpayers defeated this, you guys doubled down to get your way. Rosemarie even picketed a local business because he had the nerve to allow someone to post an anti school sign on his property.

It is all about the illusion of support and attacking people who had a different view was part of this plan. Funny, you liberals are all about free speech but only when you are doing the speaking.

Of course the threats of loss of accreditation and the loss of a one time grant for part of the kindergarten start up was all part of the squeeze on the tax payers. Ever since the town was pressured to build the school based on reports of sky rocketing enrollment, we have had lower and lower enrollment, but of course, it only came out AFTER you got your new school for only 2 grades but all those administrative people, sweet!

No wonder we now pay over $65,000,000.00 for our schools. Yup $20,000.00 per high school student when Trinity does it for $8,700 and the charter for $5,500, sure glad you are proud of such "achievements".
Dennis King

Postby Fitzie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Ken,

Thank you very much for turning that system around before my children went through their formative years. See you tonight.
Fitzie

Postby Ken Coleman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Dennis

You posted

It is all about the illusion of support and attacking people who had a different view was part of this plan. Funny, you liberals are all about free speech but only when you are doing the speaking.

I am confused. I posted factual information about the structure of Special Education. You’re the person that seems to be very angry at points of view different than yours.

And yes, in addition to being proud of the Merrimack School System, I am all about Free Speech.

I am and remain, the all powerful!

Ken Coleman :D
Ken Coleman

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” Ben Franklin
Ken Coleman

Postby RD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:42 am

Dennis King wrote:
it seems the good people of Litchfield were able to overcome the massive teacher turnout:

1050 hard working taxpayers voted against the 280 teachers and supporters

You really should move to Litchfield so that you can live amongst the "good people" and "hard working taxpayers" instead of having to live with the bad, lazy people of Merrimack.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby RD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 am

Fitzie wrote:Ken,

Thank you very much for turning that system around before my children went through their formative years.

I second that!
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Previous

Return to School Topics