School Bd meeting Monday: budget impact !!!

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

School Bd meeting Monday: budget impact !!!

Postby MattPublicover » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:51 pm

All residents interested in the school budget should be aware of an item on the School Board's agenda for the February 28 board meeting:

7. Discussion Regarding the Governor’s Proposed Budget and Its Ramifications for the School District Budget

In an attempt to solve the state's budget problems, the governor's budget proposal would reduce the amount of state aid coming back to the town. My understanding of the situation is that the size of these reductions is more significant than was anticipated by either the School Board or the School Budget Committee during budget season discussions. The result would be that less of our 2011-12 school budget would be offset by state aid, therefore more of it would need to be raised through taxes if the budget were to remain the same as has been proposed. The school board will be discussing this impact and considering whether any changes need to be made to the budget that has been proposed.

The state budget won't be finalized until long after our deliberative session, so it is wise of the school board to make contingency plans.

My goal in posting this information is to encourage as many people to attend Monday's School Board meeting or to watch the meeting on TV prior to the deliberative session. If you miss it, it is possible the budget that is presented may differ in significant ways from the budget that has been discussed for the past several months. If by chance someone is planning to make amendments to the school budget from the floor of the deliberative session, it would be helpful if you have the most up-to-date information.
MattPublicover

Re: School Bd meeting Monday: budget impact !!!

Postby joeteacher73 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 am

The state budget won't be finalized until long after our deliberative session, so it is wise of the school board to make contingency plans.

I suspect the diktat from the state regarding local aid will certainly impact the schools' budget so it is prudent to plan for the worst and hope for the best.
joeteacher73

Postby cyclone7070 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am

If we don't start addressing now,we will have even more problems later.
I believe this is going to get worse before getting better.
Just about all the money that could be "appropriated" by the state ,code word for stolen from other funds like the Fish&Game
boat launch fund (500K) has gone into the General Fund for this year.
cyclone7070

Postby joeteacher73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 pm

cyclone7070 wrote:If we don't start addressing now,we will have even more problems later.
I believe this is going to get worse before getting better.
Just about all the money that could be "appropriated" by the state ,code word for stolen from other funds like the Fish&Game
boat launch fund (500K) has gone into the General Fund for this year.

You have that right. The state is borrowing quite a bit to plug budget holes. Not as bad as the fed but the state's General Obligation Debt climbed from $634 million at the beginning of FY2006 to $823 million at the end of FY2010. Guess what, $425 million is payable in the next four years alone. We continue to rollover short term debt with new debt!

New Hampshire’s total debt is over $1.3 billion not counting the state’s unfunded obligations to the NHRS. Given this, I doubt that Merrimack will see more state aid anytime soon.
joeteacher73

Postby lynn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 am

school district warrant goes to the ballot unchanged
lynn

Postby RBarnes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 am

Is it just me or is there no coverage in the local papers on last nights meeting?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby lynn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

reporters were there
but nothing worth reporting from the meeting I guess
lynn

Postby Dennis King » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 am

lynn wrote:reporters were there
but nothing worth reporting from the meeting I guess

Teachers and support staff voting themselves jobs at the cost of $501,000.00 of the tax payers money. Yup, nothing new here, business as usual is not considered news.
Dennis King

Postby tim dutton » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 am

Dennis were you at the meeting last night? Besides, the real vote is in April.
tim dutton

Postby Dennis King » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 pm

tim dutton wrote:Dennis were you at the meeting last night? Besides, the real vote is in April.

Tim, You are wrong, the real vote was last night, now the voters will not get a chance to vote on the budget that the school board proposed.

Now we must fork over at least $501,000 more or the default which is higher. Some choice for the voters but no doubt people like Ken will herald the "will of the people" when the will of the teachers last night is really on the ballot.

Sort of reminds me of the old town meeting. The voters would show up and make their opinions clear but most had to leave by 11PM since many had kids at home. Then in the wee hours with the general public gone, the teacher contingent would now have a clear voting majority and then they simply reopened the articles and amended them to their will. How many of us left thinking one thing only to find out it was reversed when we read the papers.

This all comes down to the simple fact that public employees are the only type of employee who gets to vote on his raises, benefits, etc. No where else does that happen in the real world. To add insult to injury is the money laundering that goes with the political contributions which then get pro union contracts approved leading to more contributions.

Somewhere along the way, the taxpayers are taken out of the equation, heck we are no longer the boss (if we ever were), nope, we are evil if we do not go along with Cadillac health pensions, 182 days a year of work, a 6 hour work day, tenure, and of course those wonderful pensions. Yup, all for "the children:.
Dennis King

Postby tim dutton » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm

When the state releases their budget numbers I will not be surprised to see the budget be cut.
tim dutton

Postby lynn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

but it will not change the taxes. The tax rate is determined by DRA based on the budget that is passed on APril 7th
which is why the SB was proposing the cut last night
lynn

Return to School Topics