Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby MattPublicover » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I just ran across this on the Merrimack Tea Party Facebook page:

You are hereby notified to meet at the James Mastricola Upper Elementary School in said District on Monday, March 7, 2011, at 7:00 p.m. for the School Deliberation Session. Please make sure to come. We need to send a message to the School Board. We must defeat Warrants 3 and 5 and reduce the proposed budget.


As the post say, Please make sure to come. All voters! If you support the budget as is, please make sure to come. If you want to cut, cut, cut, be sure to come. It's your government, folks, don't let somebody else speak for you. Time to show what you stand for in town.

Seems like the brief era of quiet deliberative sessions is about to come to an end. If you choose to stay home, if you don't like what you read in the papers the following morning, don't say you weren't warned!
MattPublicover
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby lynn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

can I make a request

If you are planning on amending any article at either the school or town
please call me ahead of time and talk with me

It will allow me to be prepared and makes for a smoother meeting

it goes without saying, anything shared with me - stays with me -
but it does really help me to have advance knowledge -
and may help you accomplish what you
are trying to do instead of getting frustrated at the meeting

Thanks
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 am

Just an FYI, articles 3 and 5 are posted in full here: http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us/news.cfm ... 8&school=0

Article 3 is the teachers contract and as discussed in the budget committee meeting if that article is defeated the tax increase will be greater because the new contract includes having the teachers take over a larger portion of their health care costs.

Article 5 is starting a capital reserve fund for the eventual construction of a new special ed building. The money going into this fund would come from surplus and not additional tax so it's tax neutral on this years taxes.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby MMK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 am

RBarnes wrote:Article 5 is starting a capital reserve fund for the eventual construction of a new special ed building. The money going into this fund would come from surplus and not additional tax so it's tax neutral on this years taxes.


Being "surplus", does that mean it gets returned to the voters for tax relief if not allocated to the CRF?

If it gets returned, it's NOT neutral on this years taxes. If it doesn't get returned, where does it go and why?
MMK
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby MMK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 am

One more question, how many teachers are represented by this contract? Who negotiated on the town/school side?

Sorry, I guess that was two. . . .
MMK
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby andysinnh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:16 am

MMK wrote:
RBarnes wrote:Article 5 is starting a capital reserve fund for the eventual construction of a new special ed building. The money going into this fund would come from surplus and not additional tax so it's tax neutral on this years taxes.


Being "surplus", does that mean it gets returned to the voters for tax relief if not allocated to the CRF?

If it gets returned, it's NOT neutral on this years taxes. If it doesn't get returned, where does it go and why?

You are correct - the warrant article asks whether the voters would approve $200k, or 20% of any surplus, whichever is less, to be put into this CRF. Should the article not pass, all of the surprlus would be returned to the taxpayers to reduce the tax rate the following year. Should the article pass, less would be returned to reduce the tax rate the following year. Should there be no surplus, there would be no money contributed to the CRF.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby RayWhipple » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 am

Not sure if this deserves it's own thread but can some explain the need for a special ed building? Is there a reason this need can not be done in the existing buildings? Just asking to be more informed...
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
User avatar
RayWhipple
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Merrimack NH

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 am

MMK wrote:Being "surplus", does that mean it gets returned to the voters for tax relief if not allocated to the CRF?

If it gets returned, it's NOT neutral on this years taxes. If it doesn't get returned, where does it go and why?


It would get returned on next years taxes which is why I stated neutral on THIS years taxes.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby andysinnh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 am

RayWhipple wrote:Not sure if this deserves it's own thread but can some explain the need for a special ed building? Is there a reason this need can not be done in the existing buildings? Just asking to be more informed...

Ray - there's an entire report that was created by the school planning and building committee, that's linked to from the http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us web site - you can read all of the details there. Included is a report of their different space evaluations, including using existing school space, and their proposal for the new building with details on that.

My personal belief is that something needs to be done to both of the existing buildings, which are resident in extremely old houses that need significant upgrades. The position of the SB and the PBC is that the option of building a new building, rather than retrofitting the existing ones or taking space in an existing school, is the best choice. You can read the reports for yourself to see if you agree.

Remember that Article 5 is NOT to approve building the new building, but rather to just start putting money away in preparation for a vote on the building in a future budget year.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby RayWhipple » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

andysinnh wrote:
RayWhipple wrote:Not sure if this deserves it's own thread but can some explain the need for a special ed building? Is there a reason this need can not be done in the existing buildings? Just asking to be more informed...

Ray - there's an entire report that was created by the school planning and building committee, that's linked to from the http://www.merrimack.k12.nh.us web site - you can read all of the details there. Included is a report of their different space evaluations, including using existing school space, and their proposal for the new building with details on that.

My personal belief is that something needs to be done to both of the existing buildings, which are resident in extremely old houses that need significant upgrades. The position of the SB and the PBC is that the option of building a new building, rather than retrofitting the existing ones or taking space in an existing school, is the best choice. You can read the reports for yourself to see if you agree.

Remember that Article 5 is NOT to approve building the new building, but rather to just start putting money away in preparation for a vote on the building in a future budget year.

andy


Thanks Andy, I also got some info via PM.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
User avatar
RayWhipple
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Merrimack NH

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby MMK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am

RBarnes wrote:
It would get returned on next years taxes which is why I stated neutral on THIS years taxes.



Splitting hairs, aren't we?
MMK
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby lynn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 am

watch last nights planning board meeting
School dept was before them talking about the capital plan
part of that was the discussion on the new building
spec ed & district admin are both included in the proposal
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am

MMK wrote:
RBarnes wrote:
It would get returned on next years taxes which is why I stated neutral on THIS years taxes.



Splitting hairs, aren't we?


No, if I were splitting hairs I would point out that the school board could turn around and choose to spend all the surplus money anyway in which case the article would be a net zero for next year too. And if we are going to really split hairs, if the money is voted to be returned a future year as was done with the library fund then it would be net zero that way too.
:wink:

I was just attempting to point out what the articles were and point out the facts discussed in the bud com meeting while remaining as neutral on them as possible.

Additional fact, Article 3 was voted to recommend by the bud com with a vote of 10 - 2 and Article 5 was voted to recommend by the bud com by a vote of 9-2-1.

I was the abstention on Article 5 because I disagree with the fact that the wording locks that money only to being used for a new building and doesn't allow it to be used for retro fitting, additions or some other alternative solution without putting it back up to a vote before the town. Considering the fact that our current special ed building is not ADA compliant it's fairly clear that we need to do something long term and planning and saving instead of taking a larger tax hit all at once or paying a larger amount via interest on a bond makes sense as the best option but locking in for only the single option is a bad idea in my opinion. So take that for what it's worth, I made that same comment during the bud com meeting regarding my reasoning.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I read the proposal several weeks ago and there are several other options to overcome their obstacles such as no handicap access to the basement and not enough space.

My solutions - use the empty classrooms (that's also mentioned in the report as an alternative)
Get a stairlift at the cost of about $2500 if someone who is handicapped needs to go to the basement.

I am against any more new buildings or starting a surplus fund for a want that has ZERO benefit to the students and pretty much ZERO benefit to the taxpayers. They are all school personnel so let them find room in one of the schools for the offices.

The fact this is even a consideration this year is astounding to me.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Folks better show up for Deliberative Session!

Postby Ken Coleman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Rick Posted

No, if I were splitting hairs I would point out that the school board could turn around and choose to spend all the surplus money anyway in which case the article would be a net zero for next year too.


Sorry Rick, but this is not always the case. IF the surplus is from under expenditure of the budget, then up to the budget approved limit the board could spend the money. However if the surplus is from additional income (more state aid, interest etc) then the school board can not spend it.

For the last number of years the surplus has been a combination of these two, however most years the majority of it is from additional income and not under expenditure.

Ken Coleman
Ken Coleman

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” Ben Franklin
Ken Coleman
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:49 am


Return to School Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron