Residency Requirements for Management

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Residency Requirements for Management

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Moved from the Town topic

Tom Mahon

At one time, Gorham had an interim who lived south of here in Massachusetts. Move it on folks.

Excuse me - but this is a valid point. If you are requiring a town manager of $29 million live in the community why exclude the Superintendent who is responsible for $65 million? Oh I forgot - so many of you are enamored with spending on our schools to the point of blindness.

I really don't care that you feel we need to drop it. I wonder how many people even realize she lives in MA?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Re: Residency Requirements for Management

Postby RD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Moved from the Town topic

Tom Mahon

At one time, Gorham had an interim who lived south of here in Massachusetts. Move it on folks.

Excuse me - but this is a valid point. If you are requiring a town manager of $29 million live in the community why exclude the Superintendent who is responsible for $65 million? Oh I forgot - so many of you are enamored with spending on our schools to the point of blindness.

I really don't care that you feel we need to drop it. I wonder how many people even realize she lives in MA?

I think, in an effort to strive for excellence (and Merrimack has an excellent school system), you would want to look for the best qualified individuals, and that is better achieved by looking at a much wider range of candidates than just Merrimack residents.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby RayWhipple » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

RD wrote:
Jeannine Stergios wrote:Moved from the Town topic

Tom Mahon

I think, in an effort to strive for excellence (and Merrimack has an excellent school system), you would want to look for the best qualified individuals, and that is better achieved by looking at a much wider range of candidates than just Merrimack residents.

I think the TC and Tom made a good point when they talked about the TM being a resident and this hold true with this position. With the economy the way it is and with the poor realistate market, it's hard to sell your house. I also like the idea that they should live in town but we have to understand the way things are right now.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Everyone

I didn't say I wanted them to live in town, I am questioning why the Town Manager was required to live in town while the School Superintendent can live in another state? Why two standards?

That's one of the major problems in this town. It's like the town and school live on separate planets but the taxpayers get to pay the price for both knowing they don't even work together for the good of the town.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:I didn't say I wanted them to live in town, I am questioning why the Town Manager was required to live in town while the School Superintendent can live in another state? Why two standards?

That's one of the major problems in this town. It's like the town and school live on separate planets but the taxpayers get to pay the price for both knowing they don't even work together for the good of the town.

In the case of the superintendent if they do not have kids then it wouldn't really make a difference where they lived since there would be no impact either way. And honestly in the case of a SI, by the time they have enough experience to really be qualified for the job chances are their kids would be graduated anyway.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:51 pm

I guess everyone is missing my point.

Seems like $30 per year to pay for trash bags is a top priority right now.
Then we wonder why people poke fun at Merrimack.

Why can't we focus on the bottom line of $94 million+ rather than all of these insignificant drops in a bucket?

You have people making decisions with millions of dollars that will have ZERO impact on their taxes or quality of life.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:I guess everyone is missing my point.

Seems like $30 per year to pay for trash bags is a top priority right now.
Then we wonder why people poke fun at Merrimack.

Why can't we focus on the bottom line of $94 million+ rather than all of these insignificant drops in a bucket?

You have people making decisions with millions of dollars that will have ZERO impact on their taxes or quality of life.

Jeannine - I completely undersand your point that the school budget is bigger and that looking at savings there could have a potential bottom-line tax impact. But what I don't understand is how the residence situation for our superintendent has an impact on that? You're assuming (perhaps) that if she lived in town she'd be more cost-conscious? Problem is - in the end- it's the school board that sets the bogey, and the bud comm that chooses to adjust the bogey. If you look closely at the budget process between the school board and superintendent, the school board sets the initial target, and the superintendent provides a budget aimed at that target, and then they go from there. And this year, the superientendent did a second-level of cuts that the school board actually adjusted such that LESS was cut than the superintendent presented.... Obviously you see more cost-cutting opportunities than what the SB/BC did. But aside from that - how does residency impact the bottom-line of the school budget?

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm

I was comparing it to the residency requirements for a Town Manager is all. Why does the Town Manager have to live in town? After all, the town council decides the final budget numbers. Probably because it would have a personal impact on their taxes?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:I was comparing it to the residency requirements for a Town Manager is all. Why does the Town Manager have to live in town? After all, the town council decides the final budget numbers. Probably because it would have a personal impact on their taxes?

But isn't the proposal the TC is making to remove the residency requirement? Doesn't that mean we're aligning to the same model?
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 pm

andy

I haven't heard the reasons why they want to abolish the residency requirements other than the real estate market making it difficult to sell a home. If we go this way, then I believe it will dilute the effectiveness of a Town Manager. Cities require their mayors to live in their cities don't they? Of course how could you run for mayor if you're not a resident?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby lynn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

can't compare with cities
Mayors are elected so of course have to live there
lynn

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 pm

the other fundamental difference is that a Mayor has final authority over budgets (such as Manchester), whereas a TM or superintendent has no authority over what gets approved - it's up to the governing body to do so. The TM and a Superintendent are managers, not budget decision makers.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Return to School Topics