MMS to become a Charter school?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: MMS to become a Charter school?

Postby lynnette » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 pm

I just wanted to clear up a misconception about the charter school in Merrimack. My son attends ASD and while the application process requires testing and teacher "recommendations", this is for appropriate class placement only. They do not turn anybody away. Any NH resident can attend ASD if there is room. We were told that if there were too many applicants that a "lottery" would be held - the selection process in that case would be completely random. Last year there were plenty of open spots so no lottery was needed - I'm not sure that they have ever had to resort to a lottery thus far. We were also told that if the school feels a student would not be able to handle the course load, that they would strongly discourage that student's parents from sending their child to ASD, but that they could not be turned away. I'm not sure if students have to maintain a certain GPA to continue at ASD - so far we haven't had to worry about that.
lynnette

Re: MMS to become a Charter school?

Postby Dennis King » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 pm

lynnette wrote:I just wanted to clear up a misconception about the charter school in Merrimack. My son attends ASD and while the application process requires testing and teacher "recommendations", this is for appropriate class placement only. They do not turn anybody away. Any NH resident can attend ASD if there is room. We were told that if there were too many applicants that a "lottery" would be held - the selection process in that case would be completely random. Last year there were plenty of open spots so no lottery was needed - I'm not sure that they have ever had to resort to a lottery thus far. We were also told that if the school feels a student would not be able to handle the course load, that they would strongly discourage that student's parents from sending their child to ASD, but that they could not be turned away. I'm not sure if students have to maintain a certain GPA to continue at ASD - so far we haven't had to worry about that.

Thanks Lynnette, I have heard a lot of great things about ASD, too bad the state is underfunding them, it is not even close since the public high school cost is about $20,000.00. I think it should be on par with Trinity ($8,700) and that both should be paid by the taxes payers (i.e. free) and that way, we all save money. School choice is the way of the future!
Dennis King

Previous

Return to School Topics