School Board members

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

School Board members

Postby tim dutton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Do the members of the school board still receive pay?
tim dutton

Re: School Board members

Postby Stan Heinrich » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 am

Yes, the money is in the budget.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Dennis King » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am

That's news to me, the BOS long ago did away with their stipends, How much do they get a year?
Dennis King

Postby Stan Heinrich » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 am

The BOS always got paid $2400.00 per year. They never stopped that. The TC does not take a stipend, though they should.
MVD Commissioners also get paid but I do not remember the current amount.
A School Board member is given a stipend of $1100.00 per year and the chair get an extra $100.00. It has been that amount for decades.
Some members over the years have not taken their stipend.
Those positions involve considerable expense to the individual and the stipend paid does not come close to what they spend out of their pocket.
Stan Heinrich

Postby lynn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:45 pm

MVD commissioners got rid of the pay quite a few years back as well
though I agree with you that we should be compensating them
at least at a minimal amount so that there is a few bucks to take an SO out to dinner
once in a while to compensate for the long hours spend on the job
lynn

Postby NH » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 pm

The BOS initially voted to not accept the stipend during the first year that i was a board member which was 2006. Members of the BOS and the subsequent TC continued and still continue to receive no stipend.
NH

Postby Tom Mahon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 pm

The BOS eliminated their stipend before the Charter took effect in 2006. I suggested to one of the members that they refuse to accept the money rather than eliminate it because of the Charter section below:

4-6 COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES
The Town Council shall establish an annual salary and expense allowance for its members, subject to the following:

No increase in such salary or expense allowance shall be effective unless it shall have been adopted by a vote of five (5) Town Councilors. The new salary and expense schedule shall be included in the next Town budget process, and shall take effect in the fiscal period to which that budget applies.

No Councilor in office at the time the new schedule is adopted shall receive any benefit of the new schedule during the remainder of the Councilor's then-current term of office.

Not withstanding the foregoing, any decrease in such salary and expenses shall be adopted by a majority vote and take effect immediately and apply to all Councilors holding office at the time
the decrease is adopted.

There were two unsuccessful attempts to restore the appropriation under the terms of the Charter.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Return to School Topics