School cancellation calls

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

School cancellation calls

Postby Sylvie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 am

Who's in charge of sending the school cancellation calls? So far, 6:30am and we've received two. Last week...we did not get one. But we did get the 'test' call after the fact. Glad we have strong processes in place. Do we pay for this service that doesn't quite work effectively?
MMKTownie
Sylvie
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby sabrina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 am

Sounds like a glitch, just so you know, there is no school today :lol:
sabrina
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby tastyratz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Here is an amusing link related to the topic
http://www.dailytech.com/Robocalled+at+ ... e20665.htm
tastyratz
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby sabrina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm

tastyratz wrote:Here is an amusing link related to the topic
http://www.dailytech.com/Robocalled+at+ ... e20665.htm



Saw that on the news.. Classic and good for him!!
sabrina
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Sylvie wrote:Who's in charge of sending the school cancellation calls? So far, 6:30am and we've received two. Last week...we did not get one. But we did get the 'test' call after the fact. Glad we have strong processes in place. Do we pay for this service that doesn't quite work effectively?


We received 2 calls this morning as well. I want to say the first came in before 6 for us.

Just out of curiosity how many kids do you have? I wonder if its related in any way to the number of kids.

Also just an FYI, a couple of us on the bud com commented to Marge and Matt just before the last snow storm about how much it sucks to get those 6 AM calls (typo corrected, should have been 6 not 4) especially in the case of that last storm that it's fairly clear the night before that school will be canceled.
Last edited by RBarnes on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:49 pm

RBarnes wrote:
Sylvie wrote:Who's in charge of sending the school cancellation calls? So far, 6:30am and we've received two. Last week...we did not get one. But we did get the 'test' call after the fact. Glad we have strong processes in place. Do we pay for this service that doesn't quite work effectively?


We received 2 calls this morning as well. I want to say the first came in before 6 for us.

Just out of curiosity how many kids do you have? I wonder if its related in any way to the number of kids.

Also just an FYI, a couple of us on the bud com commented to Marge and Matt just before the last snow storm about how much it sucks to get those 4 AM calls especially in the case of that last storm that it's fairly clear the night before that school will be canceled.


I think you get one call per kid per contact phone number listed. We ended up with six calls this morning clustered in groups of three. Home phone, wife's cell, my cell then about half an hour later the same sequence. Luckily the caller ID has been (411) 000-0000 so I've been able to program our phones to ignore the calls during early morning hours when school cancellations and delays are not that important while still getting the calls about early dismals or other important calls. Of course given that the caller id is spoofed to a bogus number it may not stand up to S. 30: Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-30

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:05 am
Location: Merrimack NH

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby sabrina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Nat Fairbanks wrote:
RBarnes wrote:
Sylvie wrote:Who's in charge of sending the school cancellation calls? So far, 6:30am and we've received two. Last week...we did not get one. But we did get the 'test' call after the fact. Glad we have strong processes in place. Do we pay for this service that doesn't quite work effectively?


We received 2 calls this morning as well. I want to say the first came in before 6 for us.

Just out of curiosity how many kids do you have? I wonder if its related in any way to the number of kids.

Also just an FYI, a couple of us on the bud com commented to Marge and Matt just before the last snow storm about how much it sucks to get those 4 AM calls especially in the case of that last storm that it's fairly clear the night before that school will be canceled.


I think you get one call per kid per contact phone number listed. We ended up with six calls this morning clustered in groups of three. Home phone, wife's cell, my cell then about half an hour later the same sequence. Luckily the caller ID has been (411) 000-0000 so I've been able to program our phones to ignore the calls during early morning hours when school cancellations and delays are not that important while still getting the calls about early dismals or other important calls. Of course given that the caller id is spoofed to a bogus number it may not stand up to S. 30: Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-30

-Nat

That is why you get numerous calls, amounts of kids you have, makes sense.
sabrina
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 pm

I believe they made an effort on the first use to eliminate duplicate numbers. The first usage there was only one call to my cell, Heather's cell, and the house - in the past there were two to each.

However, given that a few days later, a 'test message' was sent out, I think they went back to 'each number listed on student's card' and skip the attempt to remove duplicates.

that is just a guess on my part.
Brian McCarthy
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby Sylvie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm

For the record, we only have one child. I do like the article attached...thanks for sharing :) Now...if I can figure out how to return the favor tomorrow morning!!

Seriously though, do we pay for this service that doesn't work consistently? And I wonder how we can opt out. I will be calling tomorrow to expand my knowledge on this topic.
MMKTownie
Sylvie
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby tim dutton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I have one at the high school and receiver 2 calls this morning.
tim dutton
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 am

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby sabrina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:I believe they made an effort on the first use to eliminate duplicate numbers. The first usage there was only one call to my cell, Heather's cell, and the house - in the past there were two to each.

However, given that a few days later, a 'test message' was sent out, I think they went back to 'each number listed on student's card' and skip the attempt to remove duplicates.

that is just a guess on my part.


The test was because half of the parents didn't get any calls and there was a glitch so they did a test to ensure everyone received it. At least we're getting calls, I think its great and not annoying as long as it is not at 4:30.
sabrina
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Re: School cancellation calls

Postby ladymtaxi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 am

Well, yesterday I got 2 calls (only have 1 the system now, my son is in college...), but this morning I only got one. Overall, I'd rather get called once too many times than not at all...
On the road again....to another ice rink
ladymtaxi
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 am
Location: Merrimack, NH (or local ice rink)


Return to School Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron