Kindergarten Programs

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Kindergarten Programs

Postby JMac1000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:48 pm

As Merrimack presently offers only a half day kindergarten program, does anyone have any comments on private kindergarten options in the area that offer all day kindergarten, or half day as an addition to the public half day.
JMac1000

Re: Kindergarten Programs

Postby andysinnh » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Jamie- most of the kindergarten programs (private) are also half-day programs, and offer daycare for the remaining half day. Also, my understanding is that most of these offer transportation between the 3 elementary schools and their centers to accomodate parents that need full-day coverage (although this may not be completely accurate for all centers). Our experience (4 years old, before public kindergarten) was with Tollhouse's program, which was very good, and offered daycare for the remainder of the day.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Scott Kepnes » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:02 pm

One option is the Merrimack YMCA. They have full day kindergarten. They also have a program called kindergarten extention. If your child has AM kindergarten at any of the three schools they can be bussed to the Y and be in the kindergarten there until 3pm. They have the same for kids that have PM kindergarten in which you drop them off at the Y in the morn and they are bussed to the school for their afternoon program. For people who need care before the kindergarten extention program starts in the morn and after 3pm you can pay for additional childcare for the day. I think you need to arrange for your own transportation outside of the drop off and pick up between programs at the school.

There is some info here
http://www.nmymca.org/family.html

The year before this past school year my son had AM kindergarten at Thorntons Ferry and was bussed to the Y for kindergarten extention until 3pm, and then childcare until 6pm. We were very pleased with the program. What worked out the best was at the Y they have a good curriclum for the kindergarten extention, so he was getting a lot of kindergarten learning support in addition to his regular school which really made it like a full day of kindergarten.

My wife Elizabeth Witmer can answer any question about the program, for the past year she has been the director of that program as well as the preschool at the Y.

Scott
Scott Kepnes

Postby lynn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 pm

I noticed sign at Grace Christian on Bedford Rd. that they have all day kindergarten
lynn

Postby JMac1000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Thank you. In addition to the mention of Grace Christian and YMCA, I found a website offered by the Library that lists every Kindergarten program in the area, and costs. There is more out there than we thought. However, there is not metnion, or course whether they are good programs or not. If anyone else has anything positive or negative to say about any program, please write it up here, or PM me.
JMac1000

Postby sabrina » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 am

Tollhouse Preschool offers before and after school care as well as private kindergarten for an affordable price.
sabrina

Return to School Topics