Conservatism won

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Conservatism won

Postby Dennis King » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:13 am

In looking at the statements from the candidates running, it seems Jenn and Dan tried to soften their image (i.e.we won't cut teachers) while at the same time Rose and Emily were promoting their cost saving measures.

I think the good news here is that all the candidates were embracing the cost cutting mantra of conservatives. The voters chose this message along with the experience Rose and Emily brought to the table.

There are a number of other reasons that affected the outcome. The lack of the debates was key and certainly suppressed turnout. I also think all the candidates got their campaigns started late so the news cycle was compressed and debate limited.

Our town is struggling with sky rocketing costs, primarily from the school. All four candidates resolved to control these costs and the budget Rose and Emily brought forth along with the rest of the SB/BC was one most people could live with.

Now to avoid disinformation from Ken, the voters did not approve the extra 3/4 of a million in spending, they simply chose the lesser of two evils. If the supporters simply promoted the default budget and encouraed people to vote for it, then I would agree the will of the people spoke. Here you have no real choice.

I know Emily and Rose do "get this". The original budget was reviewed and studied in detail. Both Rose and Emily ran on cost containment (conservative) platforms and I believe that is why they were voted in. I will be looking forward to watching this board to see if this money does get spent; given their campaigns, I would be surprised if much is changed from the original budget.

As for Dan and Jenn,

I want to thank you for running, most people do not have the guts to take on those who will disagree with you and anyone who is willing to give up a big part of their lives to serve the town is OK in my book. I do hope you stay involved; I also hope you realize that in part, it was your voices and your moment that has finally put the brakes on school spending. People are no longer talking tax and spend, now the discussion is at what cost and at what benefit and how will this impact on the taxpayer.

This change in tone is great and far more realistic. I think last year, the whole town "got it", that is an amasing accomplishment and I am looking forward to more tax savings and innovaions from Emily and Rose.

Congrats to all who ran, and thank you all for your service to our town

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 am

I have to give Emily some props, out of all the school board members who've served as reps on the budget committee she was definitely the one I'd consider the fairest and most... hmmm for lack of a better word I guess I'd say honest but that's not right since I wouldn't call the others dishonest but I'm unable to find the right word for what I'm trying to say here.

I was VERY impressed in her stance of simply upholding the budget as the school board wished it. I think others should take that stance.

The only time I found myself disagreeing with her stance on the bud com was when she voted no on the motion to adjust the salaries due to retirements which hadn't been originally factored in (that's not to say she and I voted the same on everything but at least I agreed with WHY she voted the way she did otherwise). I understand why she said no as she made it clear she was holding the line with what the school board wished for the budget but in that case it was something they overlooked.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:10 am

Rick

Maybe you meant to say Emily has principles?

She does and that's why I have respect for her.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:12 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Rick

Maybe you meant to say Emily has principles?

She does and that's why I have respect for her.

Yes that's a much better word for what I was going for.

I guess to put it down in one single statement, I respect her.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Return to School Topics