Why We Still Need Jen

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby RD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Joe, I also thank you for your service and for offering to serve again. I was left scratching my head on this one too.

Perhaps we need to change the ballot name ordering system. Does anyone know whether this is done at the town or the state level?
RD

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Charter was just updated to follow the state regs on ordering.

Which is, I think 'pick a letter' and start the ballot from there. This year, the letter was something like X or Z which means, names with X, Y Z first, then back to the beginning of the alphabet.

If it was V, Joe would have been first.

Brian

RD wrote:Joe, I also thank you for your service and for offering to serve again. I was left scratching my head on this one too.

Perhaps we need to change the ballot name ordering system. Does anyone know whether this is done at the town or the state level?
Brian McCarthy

Postby Pat Heinrich » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:29 am

And just to continue the clarification: this year's letter, used for town/school meetings across the state, was chosen at the SecState's office in Concord.
Pat Heinrich

Postby joe179 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:24 am

Thank you all for the kind words.

The end result of the election has put many fine people in positions to do some real good for the community. Additionally, the voters have approved all of the warrants which indicate that folks wish to maintain a certain quality of life here in Merrimack.

I am confident that our School District is in good hands and the future looks bright as there will be a rational approach to budget and policy decisions.

I plan to turn my energies towards pushing for the Town Council to address our infrastructure by first establishing a prudent investment plan in our Capital Reserve accounts. I would also like to see the Council work to restore moral within the ranks of our town employees. To accomplish this, they should seriously consider abiding by the outcome of the Deliberative Session by reinstating the positions that were cut during the recent budget cycle.

There is much to do--- and I will do my best as a member of the community to help ensure our quality of life continues to improve...
joe179

Postby mmoy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:12 am

Norman Phillips wrote:If what you say about the feelings of fiscal conservatives are correct, it seems to me that they are simply angry at the relentless progression of inflation in every aspect of the lives of all of us. ( The prime example of this was the added cost for trash disposal when the landfill closed.) During the Hinch years on the BOS, for example, the budget increases always came in at less than the inflation rate.

I think that it's not only fiscal conservatives angry at the effects of inflation. The poor and those with savings traditionally take the brunt of inflation with borrowers and those that hold real assets as typically the winners. A friend of mine calls what we are in the Weimar Run which means we are inflating to the moon as we lose our productive capacity. The deal with the devil means that consumer goods are cheap but at the expense of jobs.

The US Dollar made a new 52-week low in the last week and there is a threat of violating the low at the end of 2004/beginning of 2005. The high was 122 in 2001 and is under 82 right now so you can see how far down our currency has dropped.

If the dollar continues to weaken, I would expect much higher prices for commodities like oil, natural gas, steel, coal, gasoline, diesel, gold, silver, copper and imported consumer goods. Those that can't adapt to higher prices or that don't have any kind of insurance are in for a rough inflationary ride ahead unless the Fed takes measures to shore up the US Dollar. Their main instrument is interest rates and interest rates would have to go up to defend the dollar. But that would have a negative effect on our economy unless he really started cranking up the money supply.

mmoy

Re: Why We Still Need Jen

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:38 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:----------Although I cannot stand with her politically much of the time, I will always defend her personally, because we all need her sincere hope that we, the average people, can make our town a better place.

If I were a strong fiscal conservative, I would wish that "my representative" on the school or town governing board could give more thought to his/her comments than Jenn T. did in her actions on the School BC. There was no substance in back of the two motions she made.

Enthusiasm, unmodified by thought, is not good, it can be dangerous.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Wayne » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 pm

J.T. wrote:...I am sad today, but not for me, I have plenty to do and don’t have a problem paying my taxes...this time the bullies won

Andy Sylvia, are you sure Merrimack needs more of this?
Wayne

Postby Andy Sylvia » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Wayne wrote:
J.T. wrote:...I am sad today, but not for me, I have plenty to do and don’t have a problem paying my taxes...this time the bullies won

We need a voice for everyone and balance between everyone, and in order to have that, Jen will need to be a part of it.

Or we'll get more quotes lke the one you saw by people who think they have no voice, and instead of focusing on issues, we'll need to deal with endless partisan bickering.
Andy Sylvia

Postby andysinnh » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:29 am

Andy Sylvia wrote:
Wayne wrote:

We need a voice for everyone and balance between everyone, and in order to have that, Jen will need to be a part of it.

Or we'll get more quotes lke the one you saw by people who think they have no voice, and instead of focusing on issues, we'll need to deal with endless partisan bickering.

I agree you need points of view from both sides of the spectrum. It's healthy, and what we need to continually grow. But the key here is that the people on both sides need to work in a cooperative fashion to get things done. I think that calling other people "bullies" isn't condusive to that sort of cooperation. An example are the quotes in the Journal article from Jen Thornton saying she was willing to work with any of the 4 SB candidates to get things done. Regardless of how many voters fall on each side of the spending equation, until we get some compromise moving forward, this constanst "tug 'o war" will happen time after time.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Wayne » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:42 am

I agree it's important to get all interested parties working together, with a willingness to compromise. The voters in the privacy of the voting booth were not bullied - they voted for their preferred choice. I can't say why for sure, but I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with Jen trying to appeal to her base via her mailing list, and pretty much ignoring the rest of the Merrimack voters. Ignoring MerrimackVotes.org I believe was not a good move. I appreciate Jennifer Thornton's response that she will try to work with the elected officers, rather than against them as the other Jennifer has promised.
Wayne

Postby Confucius » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Wayne wrote: I appreciate Jennifer Thornton's response that she will try to work with the elected officers, rather than against them as the other Jennifer has promised.

I think Jennifer Thornton has been a pleasant surprise. She seems to have the capacity and willingness to understand the school district issues that some of her friends seem to lack.
My font > yours.
Confucius

Previous

Return to School Topics