A vote for Emily

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

A vote for Emily

Postby Dennis King » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:59 pm

In my effort to determine who to vote for for SB, I have twice gone down to see the debates but they were cancelled. I have therefore gone to the websites and watched the show from Dan and Jenn.

I must say, all 4 are excellent candidates and we should be grateful that we have people who are willing to give so much of their time. I think many people were pleased with the new board under Emily's leadership. I spent a good hour talking to her tonight and have a much better understanding of the issues. I am impressed that Emily has for the most part, done what she set out to do. I did not get any promise from her to return the money but I do believe once the vote is in, she will continue with the efforts we saw since her appointment to the chair.

I know people like to go into camps and I really hate that us against them approach. I like all the candidates so it stands to reason, 2 will not be happy with me. I guess we don't have that problem on the town council side but still, while they are both great candidates, I appreciate a choice.

I would ecnourage all the people out there to evaluate the candidates without labeling them or assuming one "side" or another.

I have completed half my journey and will have a hard time with the other candidate. I do beleive Emily is doing a good job and will vote for her.

(I wonder how many of you are saying, "I did not see that one coming", I believe in listening and having an open mind. I have been researching the candidates and using all the info out there. I really hope others undertake this process too.
Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Gina Rosati » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Dennis, I really hope you will consider Rose. She has the experience necessary to continue the upward momentum Merrimack's test scores are currently experiencing, and she will be considerate of the taxpayers by keeping her eye on the bottom line.
Gina Rosati

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Dennis, I agree with your sentiment, however I disagree with the part about labels.

Labels can be used to divide people, or they can be used to better understand people and help bring us together by figuring out where the fractions in our society are so we can focus there.

I also agree with the four great candidates part. If it were up to me, i'd give Emily a vote, Rose 2/3rds of a vote and Dan 1/3rd of a vote, and Jen a plea not to give up hope because she brings vitality to the process.

Unfortunately, I can only have 1 out of 4 of my preferred choices above happen.
Andy Sylvia

Postby JMac1000 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:55 am

Dennis,

The fact that Emily spent an hour talking with you about your concerns speaks volumes. There are more Emily signs in my neighborhood, than probably anywhere in town. This goes back to what I stated in my other post. Emily is going to win by a wide margin, and I just do not think Dan and Jen ran a good campaign, despite that fact that I think both are credible. They had the ability to win, and capture some of the tax pain out there. Quite honestly, I think Dan was over cautious, because of the flack he took last time, and this is going to backfire. I hope he does not give up, and learns from this time around.

I am coming to the conclusion that you are making the right choice about Emily.
JMac1000

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:42 am

My crystal ball says Jamie is right. Rose and Emily will win by a wide margin. Jen and Dan just didn't run a winning campaign. If they couldn't win my vote - and I'm ticked off at the SB right now - then they probably couldn't win other moderate votes.
Debra Huffman

Postby RBarnes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:13 am

I don't know, I think Emily will win but I think this election will be a lot closer then you think. Then again it will have to do a lot with turn out.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Andy Sylvia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am

RBarnes wrote:I don't know, I think Emily will win but I think this election will be a lot closer then you think. Then again it will have to do a lot with turn out.

I think it might be close for Rose if Jen can really get her base out, but it isn't going to be close for Emily no matter what happens.
Andy Sylvia

Postby JMac1000 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Andy,

I agree somewhat. I do think Emily will win in a landslide. I am certainly voting for Emily and am still undecided between Jennifer T, and Rose. I may have been a little quick to say Rose will win convincingly I think the odds are a bit in her favor. I think both have a lot to offer, but in differing ways. Need some help making up my mind on that one......Any suggestions? Jennifer is going to be more fiscally conservative, and might provide good balance. Rose has done a good job, however, and represents the board well. I think Jennifer would surprise some, and be a very effective school board representative.
JMac1000

Postby Dennis King » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:27 pm

I agree Jamie, I think a "split ticket" would make some sense here. Either Jenn or Dan would be a good 'fresh idea" infusion. They both are eager and while not as experieneced as the other candidates, they both are business owners and have a wealth of experience to tap into. I think either would do a great job and this would bring in some new ideas that certainly could be useful.
Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Andy Sylvia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Jamie MacFarland wrote:Andy,

I agree somewhat. I do think Emily will win in a landslide. I am certainly voting for Emily and am still undecided between Jennifer T, and Rose. I may have been a little quick to say Rose will win convincingly I think the odds are a bit in her favor. I think both have a lot to offer, but in differing ways. Need some help making up my mind on that one......Any suggestions? Jennifer is going to be more fiscally conservative, and might provide good balance. Rose has done a good job, however, and represents the board well. I think Jennifer would surprise some, and be a very effective school board representative.

If I could eliminate all of my emotions and just be a robot, it wouldn't be a hard choice, Rose is far better on paper than Dan or Jen.

However, I haven't been able to get myself past integrating intangibles into my decision, which makes it tough.

Personally, while I want Jen to stay involved in town politics because of the energy she injects into things, I don't think she can reign in her passion and focus it right now, and that's something that is needed.

If Dan campaigned more i'd probably be voting for him because he's very affable once you strip away all the ideology and I think that's a necessary element in heated arguments, but he hasn't really campaigned and didn't show up to the Deliberative Session while Rose has put in thousands of hours on the school board over the past few years.

Rose and Emily asked me to wear buttons, but if Dan asked me to wear one, I probably would as well. However, as to who i'm voting for, i'm going to have to invoke my right to a secret ballot in the selection of officers here.(I disagree with having a secret ballot on warrant articles)
Andy Sylvia

Postby andysinnh » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:47 pm

So are PM's down? I tried to send something offline to Jamie and I'm not sure it worked........
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:04 pm

They have very, very small quotas - my guess is he's over... but just a guess

andysinnh wrote:So are PM's down? I tried to send something offline to Jamie and I'm not sure it worked........
Brian McCarthy

Postby andysinnh » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:They have very, very small quotas - my guess is he's over... but just a guess

andysinnh wrote:So are PM's down? I tried to send something offline to Jamie and I'm not sure it worked........

Inbox was only 1/2 full, sentbox was 90% full - so I purged a bunch of stuff, but I still can't read - gives me a DEBUG Error.

Jamie- send me email mailto:awschneider@comcast.net.....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Re: A vote for Emily

Postby Wayne » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Dennis King wrote:I do beleive Emily is doing a good job and will vote for her.

Thank you for being willing to be honest when you realized you had misjudged someone. My belief that you had misjudged her was affirmed when you asserted a couple days ago that you felt Emily wasn't as "liberal" as everyone thought she was. I had never thought she was in that category - on the contrary, I view her as the kind of conservative that I am happy to support. She has shown respect to all sides of issues - a trait that real leadership requires.

A few weeks ago, Jeannine seemed to come to the same conclusion that you did, and I believe that that also came after a conversation between the two. It shows we already have some good leaders in town, and to replace them with unknowns just for the sake of "new blood" would be a sad mistake.
Wayne

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 am

I wonder if he got mine, I received an error as well trying to PM him.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Return to School Topics