SB Myths: We don't measure teacher's effectiveness

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Gina Rosati » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:52 pm

[quote="Dennis King
I guess that explains your giving them a whopping 21% raise over 3 years! Wow, sign me up for that!, it is just not flying buddy, and the biggest cost, medical/dental, is still not under control![/quote]

When I moved to Merrimack in 1996, I was told that there had been a recent mass exodus of teachers because of various reasons, one of which was much lower than average salaries.

I was told the 21% raise over 3 years was in an effort to bring the salaries up to the area average in order to attract and retain quality teachers. I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the circumstances. USCitizen, you are data driven ... what do you have to say about these raises and the circumstances under which they were given. Anyone else?

My only other point is, how would you feel if everyday when you went to work, your boss sent out a memo to all the other employees telling you and them that you are doing a terrible job. You are making too much money for what you do. You aren't worth the benefits we give you. You are selfish for wanting a competitive salary - if you really loved your job, you'd work for what we want to pay you. You and all the other employees all stick together. We don't need you working here - we could hire someone with less experience than you and save money. Even though we're not willing to pay for quality tools and supplies you need to work with, we expect you to produce the #1 product on the market. If you don't, you're no good. We expect other people to help you make this product #1, but if they don't help you, it's your fault and you'll be fired.

That's what our teachers hear from the boss of the pursestrings.
Gina Rosati

Postby Wayne » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:47 pm

Just to keep things light...

Negotiations between union members and their employer were at an impasse. The union denied that their workers were flagrantly abusing their contract's sick-leave provisions.

One morning at the bargaining table, the company's chief negotiator held aloft the morning edition of the newspaper, "This man," he announced, "called in sick yesterday!"

There on the sports page, was a photo of the supposedly ill employee, who had just won a local golf tournament with an excellent score.

The silence in the room was broken by a union negotiator.

"Wow," he said. "Just think of what kind of score he could have had if he hadn't been sick!"
Wayne

Previous

Return to School Topics