How many teachers attended the school DS?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

How many teachers do you think attended the school DS session?

More than 200
1
5%
100 to 200
1
5%
30 to 100
8
38%
Less than 30
11
52%
 
Total votes : 21

How many teachers attended the school DS?

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:54 pm

We've all been exchanging opinions on what impact the teachers/union had on the DS. Perception can vary greatly, so let's just see how far off we really are statistically.

Greg
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby joe179 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:21 pm

This poll has been relocated here....
User avatar
joe179
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:17 am
Location: Merrimack

Postby RBarnes » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:17 pm

Greg, how do you define teacher? The reason I asked is because I've heard people claim all 14 positions added back were teaching positions yet I do not consider anyone outside that of the classroom to be a "teacher". And asking how many teachers vs say how many school employees were present may give a vastly different answer.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:25 pm

RBarnes wrote:Greg, how do you define teacher? The reason I asked is because I've heard people claim all 14 positions added back were teaching positions yet I do not consider anyone outside that of the classroom to be a "teacher". And asking how many teachers vs say how many school employees were present may give a vastly different answer.


Hi Rick,

Fair question. My thought was teachers/union members, since they have been the target in recent posts. There were probably non-teachers in attendance who worked for the district as you point out.

Greg
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:27 pm

I missed part of your question ... I was thinking classroom teachers.

Greg
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 am

Ok ... I've heard enough about the teachers and the DS, so I thought I would post the facts. Several people went downtown with the list of teachers employed by the district. The voter list from the school DS was compared to the district teacher list, and here's what was found:

Of the 200+ people at the session, <b>only 29 were teachers</b>. Of those 29, at least 10 were confirmed as not belonging to the union.

If you question these numbers, feel free to peruse the voter list; it's public record.
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby RFTO1111 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:30 am

GregRS wrote:Ok ... I've heard enough about the teachers and the DS, so I thought I would post the facts. Several people went downtown with the list of teachers employed by the district. The voter list from the school DS was compared to the district teacher list, and here's what was found:

Of the 200+ people at the session, <b>only 29 were teachers</b>. Of those 29, at least 10 were confirmed as not belonging to the union.

If you question these numbers, feel free to peruse the voter list; it's public record.


It is really irrelevant, because of those 29 teachers, I am sure each and every one of them brought spouse, friends family etc. Bottomline, I don't care if it was a room full of conservatives that put this forth. It is a disgrace and I hope current and future board members see it as such and return the money back to where it rightfully belongs, the taxpayers of Merrimack.
RFTO1111
 

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 am

RFTO1111 wrote:
GregRS wrote:Ok ... I've heard enough about the teachers and the DS, so I thought I would post the facts. Several people went downtown with the list of teachers employed by the district. The voter list from the school DS was compared to the district teacher list, and here's what was found:

Of the 200+ people at the session, <b>only 29 were teachers</b>. Of those 29, at least 10 were confirmed as not belonging to the union.

If you question these numbers, feel free to peruse the voter list; it's public record.


It is really irrelevant, because of those 29 teachers, I am sure each and every one of them brought spouse, friends family etc. Bottomline, I don't care if it was a room full of conservatives that put this forth. It is a disgrace and I hope current and future board members see it as such and return the money back to where it rightfully belongs, the taxpayers of Merrimack.


Right ... anything you say.
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:35 am

GregRS

It is really irrelevant, because of those 29 teachers, I am sure each and every one of them brought spouse, friends family etc. Bottomline, I don't care if it was a room full of conservatives that put this forth. It is a disgrace and I hope current and future board members see it as such and return the money back to where it rightfully belongs, the taxpayers of Merrimack.


Right ... anything you say.


You can chose to ignore RFT, but he is correct here.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:44 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:GregRS

It is really irrelevant, because of those 29 teachers, I am sure each and every one of them brought spouse, friends family etc. Bottomline, I don't care if it was a room full of conservatives that put this forth. It is a disgrace and I hope current and future board members see it as such and return the money back to where it rightfully belongs, the taxpayers of Merrimack.


Right ... anything you say.


You can chose to ignore RFT, but he is correct here.


You have no evidence to support RFT's claim. He/she said that those 29 brought all their spouses, friends, etc. That is pure speculation.

Whether it is a disgrace depends on if you're on the winning or losing side. The bottom line IS that we have to live with the DS until the town decides otherwise. This issue has been beaten to death in this forum.

My whole point here is that people can stop bashing teachers any time now, just like they can stop bashing the firemen for their imagined role at the town DS.

Greg
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby RFTO1111 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:53 am

"You have no evidence to support RFT's claim. He/she said that those 29 brought all their spouses, friends, etc. That is pure speculation. "

Pure speculation, is there no common sense anymore. Your right Greg, there were exactly 29 teachers there the rest were just average citizens. None of them brought anyone else to support their cause.
RFTO1111
 

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:55 am

GregRs

I don't recall you being the moderator here. I suppose we can talk about the teachers for as long as we choose.

My only hope is the School Board will reject the increases and return to the budget they submitted. It might piss off the 200+ who voted to add money, but I'm willing to bet it will make at least 4,000 people happy that they chose their own budget.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Postby GregRS » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 am

RFTO1111 wrote:"You have no evidence to support RFT's claim. He/she said that those 29 brought all their spouses, friends, etc. That is pure speculation. "

Pure speculation, is there no common sense anymore. Your right Greg, there were exactly 29 teachers there the rest were just average citizens. None of them brought anyone else to support their cause.


You can ignore what I said, but I am right ... lol

Pure common sense says that you're an island.
GregRS
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Postby Tom Williams » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Greg,

Just curious, do you know how many Merrimack teachers actually live in Merrimack? 29 people of any group like this out of 200 sounds like a big turnout to me. I don't think the point was that the teachers carried the vote all by themselves (that was never my point anyway).

I remain a bit uncomfortable at the notion that a relatively large group (yes, it is large relative any other subgroup of the 200 in attendance) shows up and votes to increase their salary budget. I understand that what they did is perfectly legal, it just feels a bit unethical to me.

How would you feel if a group of 10 employees of a paving firm showed up and put forth a warrant article to hire their firm to pave Merrimack roads?
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Tom Williams
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:42 pm
Location: Merrimack, NH & Dunwoody, GA

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:52 am

It happens all the time up in Concord. Just look at the interior designer licensing bill they're considering, HB881.

It happens so often in government there's a name for it - "rent seeking."
User avatar
Michael Pelletier
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: 3 Woodbine Lane

Next

Return to School Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron