Jen Twardosky reveals her SB agenda

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:24 pm

RD

The term came into popular use in blogs in February, 2004 with the Barking Moonbat Early Warning System blog in which blogger Allan Kelly humorously describes a moonbat as "a human whose cerebral cortex has turned to silly putty causing him or her to mentally slide down the evolutionary ladder to the level of a winged rat who is influenced by the moon and who wants to eat your brain. These creatures have broken brains and since the brain is the organ that tells us all when we're broken, their broken detection mechanism is unable to tell them that they are barking mad."

Open source advocate Eric Raymond used the term in an interview in The New Yorker to describe eccentric Wikipedia contributors.[3] The term has come into wider use in politics, sometimes as "moonbat crazy"; Boston commentator Howie Carr uses the term regularly.[4] In September, 2006, Carr ran a number of "How do you spot a moonbat?" segments on his daily radio show, and defined the term to mean "A left-wing nut who probably suffers from Bush Derangement Syndrome."[citation needed]

More generally, it is becoming a term to describe any left wing political extremist, and like many epithets, it can be used to describe less extreme individuals as if they were extremists.

On March 8th, 2007, the Boston Herald published an article titled "Moonbats enter their blue phase" [4] to describe the shock of leftwing supporters of newly elected Democratic governor Deval Patrick upon revelation of his use of the governors office in unethical business deals in February 2007.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RD » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:50 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:blogger Allan Kelly humorously describes a moonbat as "a human whose cerebral cortex has turned to silly putty causing him or her to mentally slide down the evolutionary ladder to the level of a winged rat who is influenced by the moon and who wants to eat your brain.

If we go by this definition, then there certainly are moonbats on this forum, but they're not the ones you typically refer to as such. :o
RD

Postby Ann Goldman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:47 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Ann

More lies by conservatives, so what else is new?

These are your words - not mine.

Let me turn the tables here

More lies by liberals, so what else is new?

You called us liars. you made a blanket statement about conservatives. I simply asked you to point out lies we've told. Instead you tell me that I misread what you wrote.

I guess you never took a logic course. That explains a lot.
"More" does not mean "All". Look it up in the dictionary.
Ann Goldman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Ok

So more idiotic ideas from liberals. what else is new?

That sounds about right.

guess you never took a logic course. That explains a lot.
"More" does not mean "All". Look it up in the dictionary.

I am waiting for Wayne to post how he found your insult toward me offensive. crickets chirping....

Explains a lot of what? That you are more logical? What a joke!
Jeannine Stergios

Postby chrisorteg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:05 am

Because I believe that when we deal in facts that these conversations can be more productive and less antagonistic....

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Ann

1. The person who proposed it is a conservative and not a liberal.

How do you know this? You consider anyone who isn't far left to be conservatives.

From the March 16, 2007 Merrimack Journal:

The force that restored the budget was truly a groundswell

Dave Nichols
Merrimack

To the Editor:

Many are saying that the Merrimack school budget reinstatement was the result of a coordinated opposition. It is comforting to think your opposition is a well-orchestrated movement. Especially when you lose.

In fact, when I made the motion to reinstate the Merrimack school budget cuts, I truly expected more catcalls than cheers. The force that restored the budget was truly a groundswell.

But a groundswell is much more interesting and hugely stronger than any organized movement.

And far from being a Democrat partisan, I am a life-long conservative and Republican. There was no single party behind the groundswell.

That said, wise stewardship is a core conservative value. The wholesale cuts promoted several months ago seemed anything but wise stewardship, failure to adequately fund a critical investment.

Even the remaining cuts seemed foolish to me.

Why were cuts considered in the first place? We are not in a tax crisis. The community is doing well with jobs and with housing.

Moved by neither wisdom or need, these cuts seem to come strictly from a new bloc with an old idea: Public education is a bloated blight upon our community.

But this is pseudo-conservatism. True conservatives value education as an intrinsic need, a basis for conservative thought. Education has real value. It is a solid future investment. It is a true conservative value.

Merrimack has a sad history of periodic spasms of anti-education. Perhaps this time we can quietly overcome the anti-conservative anti-public-education knee-jerk with reason and common-sense.
Last edited by chrisorteg on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby Ann Goldman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks Chris.

Ever since the Merrimack Journal stopped home delivery I have not seen one. I am glad that Dave Nichols wrote this as I remember him as a vocal conservative in the 1990's.
Ann Goldman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am

Chris

So if I write a letter claiming to be a liberal, does that mke it true?

This Nichols guy "thinks" he's a conservative when he is more than likely a RINO. His letter doesn't strike me as very conservative and he is out of touch when he writes something like this:

Why were cuts considered in the first place? We are not in a tax crisis. The community is doing well with jobs and with housing.

The whole thing strikes me as bizarre!
Jeannine Stergios

Postby chrisorteg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Yes.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby Confucius » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:09 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Chris

So if I write a letter claiming to be a liberal, does that mke it true?

This Nichols guy "thinks" he's a conservative when he is more than likely a RINO. His letter doesn't strike me as very conservative and he is out of touch when he writes something like this:

The whole thing strikes me as bizarre!

It actually sounds very "conservative". If you listen to anyone in the Bush administration, or that supports them, they'll tell you exactly that. Substitute the word country for community, of course:

"The country is doing well with jobs and with housing"

Karl Rove couldn't have said it better. He's no RINO, is he?
My font > yours.
Confucius

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks for posting that, Chris. That's the Dave I remember.

It shows conservatives can support education too. Isn't it amazing how so many have drawn conclusions about the motives of the DS attendees while knowing nothing at all about them? All we've heard was that this was all the doing of the teachers, while no proof accompanied that claim. Now there's some proof that at least a portion of these charges were false. And no one can know how much.
Wayne

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:21 pm

Wayne

It shows conservatives can support education too

Newflash! Awfully presumptious of you to claim conservatives don't care about education, don't you think? You know nothing about me or my children's educations. I would gladly pit them against yours if you'd like.

Wanting to spend money foolishly doesn't mean you support education more than someone who expects their money to be used wisely.

If you go to Shaw's and buy everything that isn't on sale, and I go to Shaw's and buy sale items and save $10 does that mean I am anti-grocery shopping?
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RFTO1111 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Too funny, conservatives are anti education. It has been proven time and time again, throwing money into education does not improve education. Take a look at Washington DC. Conservatives, or at least this conservative are against wasted spending on unecessary feel good items.
You can spin all you want, but it a fact our school budget has gone through the roof in the past few years from the tax and spend liberals that were on the SB. Yet when we finally get a somewhat fiscal conservative SB all their hard work down the drain because of a small few at the DS. A disgrace in my book. Yes I know that is the way things are with the DS, organized with teachers or not. It is irrelevant. So once again, my only option is to vote a big NO on anything raising and appropriating, and hope the boards give back that money to the people. Time will tell.
RFTO1111

Postby GregRS » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:03 am

RFTO1111 wrote:Too funny, conservatives are anti education. It has been proven time and time again, throwing money into education does not improve education. Take a look at Washington DC. Conservatives, or at least this conservative are against wasted spending on unecessary feel good items.
You can spin all you want, but it a fact our school budget has gone through the roof in the past few years from the tax and spend liberals that were on the SB. Yet when we finally get a somewhat fiscal conservative SB all their hard work down the drain because of a small few at the DS. A disgrace in my book. Yes I know that is the way things are with the DS, organized with teachers or not. It is irrelevant. So once again, my only option is to vote a big NO on anything raising and appropriating, and hope the boards give back that money to the people. Time will tell.

You're right ... some conservatives do care about education. After all, they are the ones that designed the "No child left behind" mandates. The only problem is that they don't cover the funding; they require the local districts to come up with the money.
GregRS

Previous

Return to School Topics