Backlash

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Fitzy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:47 am

So you're argument for relating public school teacher's salaries and performance to the private sector is to compare them against against the global economy's impact on a manufacturing company. Uh huh.

As far as performance goes, we draw up the bills of materials which among other things dictates the quality of the material we work with. Let me know when teachers are allowed to pick the material they work with, both in terms of WHAT they teach and WHO they teach it to. Not close USC, not close.

You're trying to pound a round peg into a square hole.

Here's my take on the matter. Blaming the decline in school performance only on the teachers is the parent's way of avoiding the fact that parenting these days sucks. It just does. But heaven forbid we admit that, its easier to blame the teachers for our children's shortcomings. Its even convenient because they "work for us". Bull$hit. Nintendo and Gameboy have become today's most used parental "tools". "Here Johnny, here's the copy of Kill the Cop (with super-bloody animation) you asked that I pick up for you along with a gallon of ice cream. I'll see you in the morning".

Ya, blame the teachers, that's it.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy

Postby uscitizen03054 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 pm

So you're argument for relating public school teacher's salaries and performance to the private sector is to compare them against against the global economy's impact on a manufacturing company. Uh huh.

No Fitzy, you are not listening with an open mind. I used many private sector occupations in my postings including sales as examples where a private sector employee does not complete control their environment but has accountability for results.

Here's my take on the matter. Blaming the decline in school performance only on the teachers is the parent's way of avoiding the fact that parenting these days sucks. It just does. But heaven forbid we admit that, its easier to blame the teachers for our children's shortcomings. Its even convenient because they "work for us". Bull$hit. Nintendo and Gameboy have become today's most used parental "tools". "Here Johnny, here's the copy of Kill the Cop (with super-bloody animation) you asked that I pick up for you along with a gallon of ice cream. I'll see you in the morning".

Fitzy what world do you live in; are you always seeking conflict? I am not blaming teachers for all the ills we have in our educational system. However, I am demanding we stop throwing money at the current system and make incremental changes to improve the results the system delivers. First on my list would be to work in conjunction with teachers and administrators to establish quantifiable metrics for student academic achievement that the aforementioned would be judged on yearly. I would tie compensation to meeting these metrics as well. This would improve performance greatly.
uscitizen03054

Postby RFTO1111 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Ken Coleman wrote:RFTO1111

Your idea of a strong message only has credibility if you are willing afterwards to accept that if the town votes yes on the school issues, that a message is being sent the other way.

If you will not agree to this, your idea is without merit.

Ken Coleman

Stop the presses, I actually agree with that statement Ken. I may not like it, but like the new school I have no choice but to accept it. I know I will be voting NO on anything to do with the school appropriating any funds for anything to make up for that 700k added at the deliberative session.
But I would urge, at least for this year all voters to send a message. As said many times in these forums, the SB, BC for the most part went over these cuts with a fine tooth comb, and came up, like Dennis said with at least a somewhat reasonable budget for most folks in town. Not good enough for the self entitlled self interested teachers of this town. To do what they did is a total disgrace, legal or not. And that cop out about the 1.5 mil on the townside last year is just bull. We cut it, and not one citizen in this town has been effected by it, other than a little more in their wallets. I think that did send a town a strong message also, and the reason Whitlock and Hinch are no longer part of the council. I hope again, each and every voter votes NO on appropriations to get that 700k back. I also hope the candidates for school board go on record on what their intent is with this 700k
RFTO1111

Postby Big Blue » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:25 pm

RFT[/quote]

I know I will be voting NO on anything to do with the school appropriating any funds for anything to make up for that 700k added at the deliberative session.
But I would urge, at least for this year all voters to send a message. As said many times in these forums, the SB, BC for the most part went over these cuts with a fine tooth comb, and came up, like Dennis said with at least a somewhat reasonable budget for most folks in town. Not good enough for the self entitlled self interested teachers of this town. To do what they did is a total disgrace, legal or not. And that cop out about the 1.5 mil on the townside last year is just bull. We cut it, and not one citizen in this town has been effected by it, other than a little more in their wallets. I think that did send a town a strong message also, and the reason Whitlock and Hinch are no longer part of the council. I hope again, each and every voter votes NO on appropriations to get that 700k back. I also hope the candidates for school board go on record on what their intent is with this 700k[/quote]

Let's summarize then: All teachers are self entitlled [sp] self interested and are disgraceful. Committees work hard for reasonable budget = GOOD and if bottom line cuts = GOOD ...bottom line additions = BAD. Cop out on budget cuts is bull. Not one citizen in town has been affected by cuts.
Big Blue

Previous

Return to School Topics