Backlash

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Backlash

Postby Dennis King » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:15 pm

Well, the school teachers got what they wanted but I wonder if they will regret this craven act.

(you would never know a teacher was there if you read the Telegraph)


My point is voters will pay attention to this. They will see this for what it is, teachers demanding we keep them employed even when enrollment numbers say we do not need them anymore.

Leave it to unions to demand a job for life regardless of the need.

The taxpayers have been more than fair with the teachers. I recall a 21 percent raise over three years was given out (any of you taxpayers out there make that much?) How about a cadillac medical coverage, don't forget all the days off and a six hour work day.

Now before you jump on me, I used to be a teacher (back when they really got paid garbage and that is why I left). It is no longer the case and we taxpayers continue to live under this myth.

The backlash:

Well I suspect the voters will vote for school board members who pledge an 80/20 health plan, a cut in time off for training -do it on your own time like the rest of the world, a cap of 2 percent on raises, a return of the surplus money and not a single job added back as recommended by the school board.

This is now far more likely now that the teachers have gone and forced the taxpayers to pay an extra 3/4 of a million dollars for jobs that are not needed.

I do hope people wake up and am eager to hear this pledge from each and every candidate for school board.

It is time for the taxpayer interest to prevail!
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Postby T Dutton » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Dennis

Most companies pay for training. In order to maintain their cerifications teachers need to training.

Some of the days off are for training. I know many teachers who take night classes or online classes to maintain certification
T Dutton
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:41 am

Postby Linda Nickerson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Most companies pay for training.


Agreed, I've never worked for a company where I had to pay for my own training. They also pay all travel expenses if the training is at a distance.

I've also always taken the training during normal working hours and was not penalized by my company.

An Independent Consultant would have to pay for their own training but they are their own boss so in control of their own training budget. Although, I have known of some companies that even pay for their Consultants to get training.....
Linda Nickerson
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:29 am

Postby andysinnh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:56 pm

I gotta be honest here. First it's the "double voting". Then the explicit "wool over the eyes" by the Telegraph reporter. And now a fabricated backlash. Dennis, it sounds to me like you're proactively planting seeds that might not normally germinate.....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Postby Fitzy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 pm

andysinnh wrote:I gotta be honest here. First it's the "double voting". Then the explicit "wool over the eyes" by the Telegraph reporter. And now a fabricated backlash. Dennis, it sounds to me like you're proactively planting seeds that might not normally germinate.....

andy


And while providing his own verbal fertilizer no less....... :lol:

People who need reasons to bitch about something will follow, others will run the other way just because its Dennis and the rest will weigh the situation for themselves and decide accordingly.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Postby uscitizen03054 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Dennis don't let Fitzy intimidate you by his livid responses. There will be a backlash in Merrimack for some time given the school board and the administration had carefully crafted these staff reductions based on hard data and after last evening people will have limited say as to 2007 spending levels. People are fed up with ever increasing educational expenditures when right here in Merrimack, our test results are not tracking with the yearly increases. The time for talking is over; parents and taxpayers need to take action now!
User avatar
uscitizen03054
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Postby Dennis King » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:08 pm

I agree US, people are goint to wake up. While the media did not report the teachers presence, the message is sure to get out that the teachers pushed this 3/4 million dollar increase to save a few jobs at the expense of this community.

Some people are lucky to have employer paid training to maintain certifications but that is not universally the case. Many of us have to pay for our own training and to do it on our own time. When it comes to an employee who is working say 186 days a year, yeah, I think they can find the time on their days off rather than have the taxpayers pay twice, once to cover their salary and again for the required sub teacher.

I am still amazed that assistant libraians make more in benefits than salary. This cash cow mentality is why we are all in trouble.

The only way the taxpayer can fight this is to select people for the school board who will take the pledge. We have 4 candidates, I am hoping at least some will take this pledge so we can finally get control of a union who has demanded far too much from us taxpayers over the years and got it thanks to a SB who simply rubber stamped all their demands.

Time to wake up; people are losing their homes! We can no longer shift tax burdens to help the "needy". we all need tax relief and the school is the main cause for this crisis.
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Postby andysinnh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:15 pm

Two things-

1. Dennis, show me one single profession that requires personal development over a 3 year period that, if not taken, results in the removal of your ability to do the job - not just "take the latest microsoft certification so you can be up to date" - but they remove your ability to work. and if you CAN find such a profession, find one who does NOT pay for the employee to take such personal development. If you can find one with proof, then I'll accept it.

2. This "pledge" thing is a load of hogwash. Basically, your "pledge" is a list of things that, together, while might make you feel good, are impossible for the "pledge taker" to really commit to given the scope requirements you're placing on it. Sort of like the "no broad-base tax" pledge republicans insist upon for their gubernatorial candidates.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Postby uscitizen03054 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:54 pm

Andy please find me a profession that:

1> Can turn out products of mediocre quality year after and not be held accountable

2> Are paid based on one's educational level and time in the job and not on results delivered

3> Have the protection of tenure which is a form of job security for those who have successfully completed a probationary period


Thank you.

USC
User avatar
uscitizen03054
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Postby joe179 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Dennis King wrote:Well I suspect the voters will vote for school board members who pledge an 80/20 health plan, a cut in time off for training -do it on your own time like the rest of the world, a cap of 2 percent on raises, a return of the surplus money and not a single job added back as recommended by the school board...

The only way the taxpayer can fight this is to select people for the school board who will take the pledge. We have 4 candidates, I am hoping at least some will take this pledge so we can finally get control of a union who has demanded far too much from us taxpayers over the years and got it thanks to a SB who simply rubber stamped all their demands.


Dennis,

A School Board that simply rubber stamped union demands??

I have to quote John Stossel "Give Me A Break":!:

Dennis, the SB cut a number of jobs and came forth with a budget that resulted in an increase of pennies for the average homeowner.

You were at the DS last night. You saw what happened and it had nothing to do with the SB-- the BC-- the Town Council or the Varsity Football Team. It had to do with New Hampshire Law and the very process defined regarding the Deliberative Session. No matter what the respective governing bodies do during the year to formulate a budget or warrant, the DS must take place and the result is decided by those in attendance.

To clarify, the facts are that ANY Deliberative Session can have an outcome decided by the few for the many. So until state law dictates otherwise for towns and villages, we must all understand the process and do our best to work within it. If folks have something they want-- or don't want-- they better get down to the Deliberative Session and stay until the last second of the last minute of this most important town meeting...
Last edited by joe179 on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
joe179
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:17 am
Location: Merrimack

Postby andysinnh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:05 pm

uscitizen03054 wrote:Andy please find me a profession that:

1> Can turn out products of mediocre quality year after and not be held accountable

2> Are paid based on one's educational level and time in the job and not on results delivered

3> Have the protection of tenure which is a form of job security for those who have successfully completed a probationary period


Thank you.

USC

Besides the obviously judgemental comments you continually make, many of these aspects are driven by their union, which is not too much different than many unions for different industries in the country today. The major exception is that the employment requirements for these union members are driven by the State of NH. Period.
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Postby uscitizen03054 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Besides the obviously judgemental comments you continually make


There is nothing wrong with these type of comments as long as they are factual.

As to the rest of your post, I see you offer no rebuttal to the detrimental conditions existing in our educational environment today.
User avatar
uscitizen03054
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Postby Loweresttaxes » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:16 pm

andysinnh wrote:1. Dennis, show me one single profession that requires personal development over a 3 year period that, if not taken, results in the removal of your ability to do the job - not just "take the latest microsoft certification so you can be up to date" - but they remove your ability to work. and if you CAN find such a profession, find one who does NOT pay for the employee to take such personal development. If you can find one with proof, then I'll accept it.


andy


Andy,

What's your position on this 'personal development' that is required?

And more importantly - why do you continually bring up the workload that teachers are under?

Everyone in the world that works for a living has a workload.
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Postby andysinnh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Loweresttaxes wrote:Andy,

What's your position on this 'personal development' that is required?

And more importantly - why do you continually bring up the workload that teachers are under?

Everyone in the world that works for a living has a workload.

I don't have a position. What I'm stating is the requirement by the State of NH for a teacher to retain their certification, which allows them to teach in the state of NH. They are REQUIRED to take a certain number of "development" hours each 3 years. These "development" hours include classes, seminars, out-of-district observations, etc. Some of these opportunities for teachers are offered only during the school teaching year, some are offered other times. Schools, like industry, offer some level of limited reimbursement for training and some time for this personal development. But the key here is the requirement to obtain this otherwise you can't teach. NH state rules.

As for workload, I don't think I've ever used that word..... So I don't get your point on that one, LT...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Postby Fitzy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Dennis King wrote:I agree US, people are goint to wake up. While the media did not report the teachers presence, the message is sure to get out that the teachers pushed this 3/4 million dollar increase to save a few jobs at the expense of this community.

Some people are lucky to have employer paid training to maintain certifications but that is not universally the case. Many of us have to pay for our own training and to do it on our own time. When it comes to an employee who is working say 186 days a year, yeah, I think they can find the time on their days off rather than have the taxpayers pay twice, once to cover their salary and again for the required sub teacher.

I am still amazed that assistant libraians make more in benefits than salary. This cash cow mentality is why we are all in trouble.

The only way the taxpayer can fight this is to select people for the school board who will take the pledge. We have 4 candidates, I am hoping at least some will take this pledge so we can finally get control of a union who has demanded far too much from us taxpayers over the years and got it thanks to a SB who simply rubber stamped all their demands.

Time to wake up; people are losing their homes! We can no longer shift tax burdens to help the "needy". we all need tax relief and the school is the main cause for this crisis.


Oh please.............

When it comes to an employee who is working say 186 days a year....
gee its amazing it took you THIS long to mention the # of days worked. Listen, unless and until our SOCIETY moves away from a school schedule based on the harvest, the schedule will be as it is now. I say society because its society that drives this, not the teacher's union. When we're ready to pay $15,000/week for a cottage in York because everyone has to take vacation during the same two weeks in July, call me.

This cash cow mentality is why we are all in trouble.
Is EVERYONE in trouble?? Gee I didn't know. Maybe they should work more hours for less dough, like you'd like the teachers to do.

I am hoping at least some will take this pledge.....
I nominate Dennis King. Do I have a 2nd?

I am hoping at least some will take this pledge so we can finally get control of a union who has demanded far too much from us taxpayers over the years and got it thanks to a SB who simply rubber stamped all their demands.
Ah yes, the poor, crucified little guy angle. Get off the cross its a cold night and MMK needs the wood. It would seem several hundred taxpayers exercised their rights last night. No?
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Next

Return to School Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron