5 class minimum

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

5 class minimum

Postby RFTO1111 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:56 pm

I write this with a grain of salt, and basically posting to see if this is true or not. Talking with my daughter this evening at the dinner table she told me she was making salt and pepper shakers in pottery class. I asked why she was taking a pottery class and she told me she was required to take 5 classes or she wouldn't be insured by the school. I asked her who told her that, and she said the guidance counselor. She does not need the credits to graduate this year and has been accepted to Keene in the fall. She would have prefered to just take 3 or 4 classes. But again, she was told by guidance that 5 would be better for insurance purposes, again not required but a good idea because of this insurance. One of her best friends only takes 4 classes and is not insured according to my daughter.
Please tell me this is not true. If it is, it does not make a bit of sense to me and another example of FAT. I will leave it at that for now and hope I or she misunderstood this policy. She really has no interest in taking this pottery class or any other of non essential classes this school may offer. IE the basics. Anyone on this forum that may know or have the answers to this, even if completly false would be appreciated. My only caviat, is please don't respond if you are a former school board member. I do not believe the spin from former school board members. In my mind they are the ones that got us all into this tax mess.
RFTO1111

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:35 pm

So, I'll first respond that I have zero first-hand experience with this one. That being said, it may have something to do with "full time student" status, and perhaps liability insurance in school. I've heard of this at college (meaning different support for taking over a certain number of credits vs. a part-time student). I asked my wife who teaches in another district and, while she hasn't seen it, would predict that's the reason...

So if it were me, I'd meet with the guidance counselor to see just what this insurance situation is to see whether (for example) home insurance covers her vs. something else. Asking the source is the best solution....

andy
andysinnh

Postby RFTO1111 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 pm

Yes Andy, that is what she said, you have to be a full time student to be covered and to be a full time student you need 5 classes. I am not sure if this an insurance scam, and something we have to do by law or if there are other alternitives. It would seem to me if I trip and fall while going to a football or basketball game and break my leg, the town or school insurance would cover that. At least that is what I would hope. But if it is the case about a 5 class minimum to be full time for a student that has been there since grade one and no longer needs this pottery credit it is ridiculous. I would think there would be other options. And I like your idea, I would have no problem with paying a little extra coverage on my insurance policy to cover my kid if this policy is state or federally mandated. Unfortunatly my kid graduates this June, so to little to late.
Whatever the case, it seems to me more FAT whether from the state level or federal level, and definatly FAT if it is only on the town level.
RFTO1111

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 pm

RFTO1111 wrote:Yes Andy, that is what she said, you have to be a full time student to be covered and to be a full time student you need 5 classes. I am not sure if this an insurance scam, and something we have to do by law or if there are other alternitives. It would seem to me if I trip and fall while going to a football or basketball game and break my leg, the town or school insurance would cover that. At least that is what I would hope. But if it is the case about a 5 class minimum to be full time for a student that has been there since grade one and no longer needs this pottery credit it is ridiculous. I would think there would be other options. And I like your idea, I would have no problem with paying a little extra coverage on my insurance policy to cover my kid if this policy is state or federally mandated. Unfortunatly my kid graduates this June, so to little to late.
Whatever the case, it seems to me more FAT whether from the state level or federal level, and definatly FAT if it is only on the town level.

My experience with the high school is that the info passed down from many of the guidance counselors isn't always clear - and an email to the specific counselor (or even Rick Walker, the head of guidance) will get you some clarity - their emails are all on the school web site. I know that if one of my sons came home with that info I'd figure out what was up real fast.

As far as "fat" - I'm not sure if it's "fat" as much as it might be a liability issue for the school's insurance provider - that'd be another question to ask.

andy
andysinnh

Postby Loweresttaxes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid: Where is the fat? There is no fat!

Wacko guy who has no kids and is selfish: What about the class that teaches kids how to make salt and pepper shakers?

Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid : They also teach kids how to use a kiln and make paper mache...

Wacko guy who has no kids and is selfish: Will they be fat salt and pepper shakers or will they be lean ones?

Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid : Can we move on from the salt and pepper shakers? Where is the fat? There is no Fat!
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Loweresttaxes wrote:Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid: Where is the fat? There is no fat!

Wacko guy who has no kids and is selfish: What about the class that teaches kids how to make salt and pepper shakers?

Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid : They also teach kids how to use a kiln and make paper mache...

Wacko guy who has no kids and is selfish: Will they be fat salt and pepper shakers or will they be lean ones?

Unselfish Schoolie who wants everyone to pay for their kid : Can we move on from the salt and pepper shakers? Where is the fat? There is no Fat!

And, as soon as we have a good level-headed conversation, this shows up on the scene. As with the Red Sox left fielder, it's sort of "LT being LT".

:D

andy
andysinnh

Postby GregRS » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:57 pm

There is no policy that says a senior has to take 5 courses; however, I think the Guidance Dept has recommended the 5 courses because of family health insurance risk, not school insurance risk. They are concerned that a family's health insurance may see your child as an independent and no longer covered under your health insurance policy. (Your child would no longer be considered a full-time student).

So, I think they are just being extra cautious on behalf of the student. I think each family needs to double check their coverage limitations to see if this would apply and go from there. I would venture a guess that it's only an issue if the child turns 18, a legal adult, while in this part-time student classification.

Given this, your daughter should be able to take any number of course hours she and you desire. There are many seniors who take 2-3 courses, all in the morning, then work in the afternoons. Contact the Guidance Department and request a meeting. They should be able to help you out.

Greg
GregRS

Postby Loweresttaxes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:00 pm

The unselfish schoolies have stated repeatedly that there is no fat and that their childs future is at stake.

And here we have a microwave oven class and a salt shaker maker class.

Are you prepared to tell me that these are the only two nonsensical classes within the system?

Are you prepared to tell me that without these classes your kid will dig ditches for a living...

you know what -

the world needs ditch diggers too you know.
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes

Postby RFTO1111 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:34 pm

GregRS wrote:There is no policy that says a senior has to take 5 courses; however, I think the Guidance Dept has recommended the 5 courses because of family health insurance risk, not school insurance risk. They are concerned that a family's health insurance may see your child as an independent and no longer covered under your health insurance policy. (Your child would no longer be considered a full-time student).

So, I think they are just being extra cautious on behalf of the student. I think each family needs to double check their coverage limitations to see if this would apply and go from there. I would venture a guess that it's only an issue if the child turns 18, a legal adult, while in this part-time student classification.

Given this, your daughter should be able to take any number of course hours she and you desire. There are many seniors who take 2-3 courses, all in the morning, then work in the afternoons. Contact the Guidance Department and request a meeting. They should be able to help you out.

Greg

Yes I said in my earlier posted it was not required one of her friends only takes four. I am not sure why they recomended it, only what she said because of insurance liability. I asked her what she meant by that and she said if she fell and got hurt she would be covered. Thats her saying that, not guidance. Bottomline, my kid is 17 will be turning 18 in a couple of months and is and will be covered by me. This policy has to go and let the individual parents cover their kids on their policies or blanket coverage for all who enter town owned property. And yes eliminating this so called 5 class minimum to make salt and pepper shakers would be a good start. And as I said to Andy, it is to little to late to worry about it at this time, she is in the class and only a few months to go before graduation. But for future generations, it should be looked into, because as you know, we all pay for my daughter to make salt and pepper shakers.
RFTO1111

Postby Michael Thompson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:42 pm

RFTO1111 wrote:
GregRS wrote:There is no policy that says a senior has to take 5 courses; however, I think the Guidance Dept has recommended the 5 courses because of family health insurance risk, not school insurance risk. They are concerned that a family's health insurance may see your child as an independent and no longer covered under your health insurance policy. (Your child would no longer be considered a full-time student).

Greg

Yes I said in my earlier posted it was not required one of her friends only takes four. I am not sure why they recomended it, only what she said because of insurance liability. I asked her what she meant by that and she said if she fell and got hurt she would be covered. Thats her saying that, not guidance. Bottomline, my kid is 17 will be turning 18 in a couple of months and is and will be covered by me. This policy has to go and let the individual parents cover their kids on their policies or blanket coverage for all who enter town owned property. And yes eliminating this so called 5 class minimum to make salt and pepper shakers would be a good start. And as I said to Andy, it is to little to late to worry about it at this time, she is in the class and only a few months to go before graduation. But for future generations, it should be looked into, because as you know, we all pay for my daughter to make salt and pepper shakers.

RFT,

I would like to know more about this and would like to know if you as the parent of the child that is in the situation would be willing to pursue it further with the school so that there can be a clear understanding for all the tax payers.

I understand what you are saying regarding it is to late for your child, however it is never to late for the rest of the tax payers.

Please pursue further to help us all understand.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael Thompson

Postby RFTO1111 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:02 am

RFT,

I would like to know more about this and would like to know if you as the parent of the child that is in the situation would be willing to pursue it further with the school so that there can be a clear understanding for all the tax payers.

I understand what you are saying regarding it is to late for your child, however it is never to late for the rest of the tax payers.

Please pursue further to help us all understand.

Thank you,
Mike[/quote]

Mike, I started this thread saying I write this with a grain of salt. In other words info from a 17yr old student as she understood it. My conversation with my daughter at the dinner table tonight started with Dad, in pottery class I am making salt and pepper shakers. That is why I asked her why she was taking pottery and she told me what I posted in my earlier posts.

Like Andy suggested, to pursue this further would be to take it up with guidance or whomever. I do not see much to pursue. It is either a fact that what I posted is true, or my daughter either misunderstood or was misinformed. What I do know is true, is that my daughter has no interest in pottery and because of her understanding of not being insured because she was told she would not be considered a full time student if she only took 4 classes is the reason she took this pottery class. She said it was either that or political science. In my mind another non necessary BASIC course that should be taken in college if you have an interest in that. Same with pottery, if you child has an interest in the arts, and wants to make pottery, by all means encourage it, and pay for it out of your own pockets. Again, I would have no problem paying for private pottery classes if my kids showed an interest in that sort of thing. I spent a small fortune in gymnastics classes for one of my daughters over many years because that was her interest, not wanting or expecting the parents of this town to pay for her interest in this. The same thing with my other child with soccer and baseball camps. You gotta remember Mike, I am the one who posted on here that 1.5 mil could be cut from the school budget, and just like the townside wouldn't even cause a ripple in most folks lives and would be the first in line to vote for this. It would like on the townside send a strong message that at least in my mind we do not have to be wasting tax dollars on pottery and microwave classes, and whatever other non essential courses our school offers. It was all gloom and doom last year when 1.5 mil was going to be cut, and the only ripple I saw was a good one, a little smaller tax bill. I think most of the current school board gets it now, unlike the former school board with their tax and spend mentality.
And trust they will at least continue to look into this and other things similiar to this. We as a town are not here to keep people employed, I can live without a pottery teacher, or a microwave cooking teacher.
RFTO1111

Postby RD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:34 pm

I hope they have a class that teaches the difference between the words "to" and "too."
RD

Postby andysinnh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:58 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how you can equate "fat" in schools with the guidance counselors recommending kids take a full-time course load. The fact that kids choose to take pottery is a personal choice, but the other choice would be to get more clarity on the implications of not taking that class. But overall, whether or not a kid chooses to take this extra class doesn't impact the existence of that class - and as such, its relevence to "fat" is, well, :roll: .

And, to close - there was a comment in the other thread about "fat in schools" and trans fat and teachers - I'm finding it hard to believe that we as adults can't carry a civil conversation without that sort of stuff being thrown in. That's a prime example about why the vast majority of this town won't post here - and that's a shame....

andy
andysinnh

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 pm

I was a little confused on how a kid could get to their senior year and need only 4 classes to graduate.

When I was in high school I took 8 classes a year (I think Merrimack's full schedule is 7 classes) and when I hit my senior year I only had room for 1 elective and no study halls. Granted my high school had an advanced degree program which I was part of which had a few more requirements but I didn't think it was that many.

So I looked up a couple things here. NH requires 20 credits to graduate.

Here's what they list out on the state's site as required:

Required Subjects Credit(s)
Arts education ½ credit
Information and
communications
technologies
½ credit or
demonstrate proficiency
English 4 credits
Mathematics 3 credits, including algebra
credit that can be earned
through a sequential,
integrated, or applied
program
Physical sciences 1 credit
Biological sciences 1 credit
US and NH history 1 credit
US and NH
government/civics
½ credit
Economics ½ credit
World history, global
studies, or geography
½ credit
Health education ½ credit
Physical education 1 credit
Open electives 6 credits
Totals 20 credits

I know in college you must stay full time to be listed on your parents insurance so I would assume high school would be the same.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Pottery is an art.

From the NH Constitution:

"...to cherish the interest of literature and the sciences, and all seminaries and public schools, to encourage private and public institutions, rewards, and immunities for the promotion of agriculture, arts, sciences..."
RD

Next

Return to School Topics