Lynch budget hurts Nashua area schools (Telegraph)

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Lynch budget hurts Nashua area schools (Telegraph)

Postby mmoy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:13 pm

By KEVIN LANDRIGAN, Telegraph Staff
mailto:klandrigan@nashuatelegraph.com

Published: Saturday, Feb. 17, 2007

CONCORD – Nashua and surrounding suburbs would pay a high price in state aid under the go-slow approach of Gov. John Lynch to change the way the state finances public schools.

Over the same two-year period, Hudson ($4.6 million), Merrimack ($2.3 million), Litchfield ($3 million), Milford ($1.6 million), Londonderry ($4.6 million) and Brookline ($2 million) would all be seven-digit losers with Lynch versus the existing law.

Amherst ($1.4 million), Hollis ($800,000) and Bedford ($1.4 million) are three of the 10 richest income towns in the state, but all would receive much more money over the next two years than the existing law gives them.

---------------------------------------

I haven't been able to figure out what Lynch is trying to do with educational funding.

His proposal attempts to solve the problem after 2008 and I have my doubts that the courts will let him get away with that. I sometimes wonder if he wants a court solution so that he and the legislature wouldn't have to take the heat for a plan. Any plan is going to get some people upset and leaving it for the court may be the easiest way out politically. Unless the courts dump the football back to the legislature.

Whether it's tolls, courthouses or school funding, Merrimack seems to get no respect. But on the latter, it looks like we have plenty of company.
mmoy

Postby joe179 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:22 am

If reductions in state grants do become a reality, that would create some additional financial challenges for our school district and the taxpayers of Merrimack.

We would all pay the price, so I do hope our reps can help get this fixed in short order...
joe179

Re: Lynch budget hurts Nashua area schools (Telegraph)

Postby Loweresttaxes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:33 am

mmoy wrote: I haven't been able to figure out what Lynch is trying to do with educational funding.

That's an easy one...

He is trying to cause Nashua and it's surrounding areas to rally around a state income tax.
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes

Postby joe179 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:23 pm

Gov. John Lynch unveiled a $10.2 billion state spending plan Thursday that would put a hold on a contested school aid law in preparation for a debate over whether to limit aid to only poorer communities.

Lynch would distribute less school aid than the current law calls for. He would distribute $497 million in non-property tax school aid each of the next two years. A school aid system found unconstitutional by a superior court calls for distributing $527 million each year. Currently, the state distributes $473 million.

In September, the state Supreme Court left the system in place but set a July deadline for the state to define an adequate education or face possible intervention. Lynch would suspend the current aid law. He would give towns the same aid they got this year plus five percent; they would receive that amount in each year of the biennium.

Lynch said he soon will offer a constitutional amendment to allow the state to limit aid to poorer towns.

''I do not believe we should put in place a new school funding formula until we have defined an adequate education and passed this constitutional amendment,'' he said. ''Nor do I believe we should simply go forward with the current law.''

To pay for his budget, Lynch would hike the cigarette tax 28 cents per pack _ to $1.08 cents per pack. He would shore up the highway fund used to build and repair roads and bridges with a $6 annual increase in the vehicle registration fee.

Lynch's mention of a constitutional amendment was met with mild applause. The rest of his school aid plan was met with silence...
joe179

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:12 pm

From what I've been reading Lynch's plan is a 5% increase everywhere. So if for instance we received 1 million we're receive 1.05 next year.

Is this not correct?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Rick

He would distribute $497 million in non-property tax school aid each of the next two years. A school aid system found unconstitutional by a superior court calls for distributing $527 million each year. Currently, the state distributes $473 million.

It appears to me that Lynch is giving $24 million more than last year. Let's re-write this paragraph. It makes you wonder what point this reporter was trying to make. This is good news for all of us - not negative as they portrayed.

Here's my re-write

Lynch will distribute $497 million in school aid for 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 school years which is $24 million more than was distributed in 2006/2007. The Claremont decision calls for distributing $527million;however the Claremont desicion was ruled unconstitutional.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Re: Lynch budget hurts Nashua area schools (Telegraph)

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:54 am

mmoy wrote:Nashua and surrounding suburbs would pay a high price in state aid under the go-slow approach of Gov. John Lynch to change the way the state finances public schools.

Michael Pelletier

Return to School Topics