Library Assistants

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Amen, Jamie.

Dennis, I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. No sense confusing current issues by dredging up old issues.
Debra Huffman

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Pam Green, in a Nashua Telegraph LTE published January 11, wrote:There is a group of people in our town who, like vultures, is circling the already cleanly picked carcass of our school district’s budget. This orchestrated campaign, which includes some Town Council members, reeks of the same mean-spirited attacks on the public schools that we endured in the mid-1990s.

Dredging up old issues, you say, Debra?
Michael Pelletier

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Michael, if you think it's useful to debate things that happened a decade ago, have a blast. In my opinion, it is not useful.
Debra Huffman

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:
Pam Green, in a Nashua Telegraph LTE published January 11, wrote:There is a group of people in our town who, like vultures, is circling the already cleanly picked carcass of our school district’s budget. This orchestrated campaign, which includes some Town Council members, reeks of the same mean-spirited attacks on the public schools that we endured in the mid-1990s.

Dredging up old issues, you say, Debra?

Mike, you have to be fair here. Deb was not the author of that letter so I wouldn't hold Pam's words against her.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Debra Huffman wrote:Michael, if you think it's useful to debate things that happened a decade ago, have a blast. In my opinion, it is not useful.

I don't think it's useful either, but the habit seems to be in evidence on both sides of the school funding debate.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RFTO1111 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Cleanly picked carcass, that is a joke right? Frankly, I wish the Jenns would put up another warrant cutting 1.5mil off the school budget. I would vote for that in a heartbeat to once and for all get peoples attention. So much doom and gloom when 1.5 was cut from the town side last year. Well the only thing I noticed after that was a slightly smaller tax bill. I am tired of funding every feel good for the children program that comes down the pike. Teach the basics, its as simple as that. Anything else, let the parents pay for their own individual kids needs from sports to band and any other non life essential programs.
RFTO1111

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:42 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:
Debra Huffman wrote:Michael, if you think it's useful to debate things that happened a decade ago, have a blast. In my opinion, it is not useful.

I don't think it's useful either, but the habit seems to be in evidence on both sides of the school funding debate.

Ditto. The board as a whole isn't using logic it seems, they're using emotion. I don't mind supporting paying for something or not paying for something if you can give me a solid, concrete reason why.

That doesn't seem to be happening though.
Andy Sylvia

Postby andysinnh » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:23 am

RFTO1111 wrote:Cleanly picked carcass, that is a joke right? Frankly, I wish the Jenns would put up another warrant cutting 1.5mil off the school budget. I would vote for that in a heartbeat to once and for all get peoples attention. So much doom and gloom when 1.5 was cut from the town side last year. Well the only thing I noticed after that was a slightly smaller tax bill. I am tired of funding every feel good for the children program that comes down the pike. Teach the basics, its as simple as that. Anything else, let the parents pay for their own individual kids needs from sports to band and any other non life essential programs.

There are enuf people in Merrimack who know that tactic at the DS - I wouldn't hold out hope that such an attempt would make it out of the room that evening........ If you REALLY want to reduce the budget, get people in place who won't do uninformed and knee-jerk cuts, but rather work with the district to do sustainable long-term cuts to make the budget more efficient and keep it that way year after year. This "cut the money, make 'em figure out how to do it" when you have contracts to fulfill is irresponsible at best. Thanks for giving a consideration for people in town except for your wallet.

andy
andysinnh

Postby Norman Phillips » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:51 am

RFTO1111 wrote:Cleanly picked carcass, that is a joke right? Frankly, I wish the Jenns would put up another warrant cutting 1.5mil off the school budget. I would vote for that in a heartbeat to once and for all get peoples attention. -------------.

What kind of a lazy anon is unable to organize a petitioned warrant article herself???
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby RFTO1111 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:32 pm

One that works 60 plus hours a week just to be able to afford my taxes in this town.
RFTO1111

Postby Andy Sylvia » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:25 pm

andysinnh wrote:
RFTO1111 wrote:Cleanly picked carcass, that is a joke right? Frankly, I wish the Jenns would put up another warrant cutting 1.5mil off the school budget. I would vote for that in a heartbeat to once and for all get peoples attention. So much doom and gloom when 1.5 was cut from the town side last year. Well the only thing I noticed after that was a slightly smaller tax bill. I am tired of funding every feel good for the children program that comes down the pike. Teach the basics, its as simple as that. Anything else, let the parents pay for their own individual kids needs from sports to band and any other non life essential programs.

There are enuf people in Merrimack who know that tactic at the DS - I wouldn't hold out hope that such an attempt would make it out of the room that evening........ If you REALLY want to reduce the budget, get people in place who won't do uninformed and knee-jerk cuts, but rather work with the district to do sustainable long-term cuts to make the budget more efficient and keep it that way year after year. This "cut the money, make 'em figure out how to do it" when you have contracts to fulfill is irresponsible at best. Thanks for giving a consideration for people in town except for your wallet.

andy

Well said, Andy.

SB2 DS'es generally seem to be mobs. I apologize if i've added to that sentiment here. Bullies just make me mad is all.
Andy Sylvia

Postby RFTO1111 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Andy Sylvia, I won't be responding to you any more because I have been warned by Admin no personal attacks or I will be banned. I guess he feels you can't deal with comments I made to you that he deleted. So much for freedom of speach. I will leave with saying that people that think like you and have your mindset truly do scare the heck out of me. I truly believe it will be the downfall not only of this town, but this nation. Hopefully someday when you are older the light bulb will go on in your head. But as long as you follow the Michael Moores of the world, the hollywood crowd, the far left liberals it truly will be doom and gloom. Hopefully I didn't say nothing in this post attacking you personally, big brother is watching.
RFTO1111

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Finding people who will work with the district to find sustainable long-term cuts is one thing, getting the district to work with the people is quite another.
Michael Pelletier

Postby andysinnh » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:43 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:Finding people who will work with the district to find sustainable long-term cuts is one thing, getting the district to work with the people is quite another.

Two current examples. Warrant article on energy measures is one. Groundwork laid with administration for upcoming teachers negotiations to control healthcare costs is another. Could save many, many thousands. More of this working together is how you make it happen. More room down the road for further savings? Likely. Do you get there by getting rid of a janitor, asst. librarian and a microwave? Not likely....

andy
andysinnh

Previous

Return to School Topics