Kindergarten grant

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Kindergarten grant

Postby Wayne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:45 pm

I believe a lot of voter support for adding kindergarten to our school system was because of the grants that were submitted and approved by the state. I'm willing to bet that voters would have otherwise voted no. I know I interpreted the approved grants as a promise by the state to make kindergarten possible. Today's article in the Merrimack News Connection leaves me very confused, and I'm hoping someone can explain what's now going on. Just who was it that made the promise, was it the governor's office, the legislature, or some education department (answering, I suppose, to the governor)? How can they legally reneg on this agreement? Is it likely that we will not receive the grant now that construction has been completed?

Here is the text of the budget discussion that's not quite clear:
The largest part of the increase is due to the staffing and supplies needed for the kindergarten classes due to start in 2005. There will be eight such classes and three new teachers will be needed, with the balance of teachers coming from staff already in place. State grant money amounting to $1,200 per kindergarten student was approved when the kindergarten grant was submitted, but the state apparently did not put the money aside. This will mean legislative pressure will have to be brought soon after the election. Board Chairman Ken Coleman said that the legislative decision to send educational money lost by the Town might be in jeopardy because of a bill now in the legislature to reverse the funding grant.

http://www.merrimackconnection.com/
Wayne

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:44 pm

Wayne

I agree with you. That $1,200 per student was a Shaheen program. I believe that our School Board should have checked out these facts BEFORE foisting false notions on the townspeople. Ms. Rung was determined to get those kindergartens so the kids had a better chance to get into college (according to Ms. Rung). Meanwhile, the money we could be saving to put our kids through college is being slowly eroded through our high tax bills. Soon, many of us won't have money for college.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Wayne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:40 pm

When grants had been approved, the SB had every right to expect that the money would not be rescinded. The fault here seems to lie with the State of NH, and I would like to hear more from those in a position to know.
Wayne

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:57 pm

Wayne

I don't know why our kindergartens won't be funded, but it appears that Goffstown's will. The article below if from Feb 2004.

Did You Know?

The Goffstown School Board will present a warrant article on the March 9th ballot requesting a one time expense of $256,202 to fund the $3.3 million dollar purchase of land and the construction of a ten-room, stand-alone, public kindergarten (site work included).
The impact to the taxpayers of Goffstown will be a one-time expense of 21¢ per thousand dollars. The State of New Hampshire is funding $2.2 million or 75% of the building cost.

http://www.goffstown.k12.nh.us/kindergarten/main.php
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:03 am

But then on another website is this conflicting statement about funding for Merrimack. If 2001-2002 was the last opportunity for Merrimack, why can Goffstown get funding in 2004?

The need for space at the Mastricola Middle School based on enrollment and the state’s kindergarten aid program, creates a unique opportunity for the school district to implement public kindergarten. The reconfiguration of the district’s 5-8 program would release space at each of the three elementary schools to accommodate half-day kindergarten sessions for Merrimack children. There would be no need for extensive renovations at the existing elementary school sites, though it would be advantageous to add sinks and toilets to several classrooms intended to house five and six year olds.
Kindergarten aid will only be available to school districts through fiscal year 2001-2002. School District Meeting in March of 2001 is our last opportunity to avail ourselves of this windfall.

http://www.isone.com/~merrpbc/BBC.htm#_Toc497577730
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:14 am

Maybe we are too late? Would have been nice to know this before now.

The Sanborn School District is one of 18 districts in the state that does not offer public kindergarten. According to the state Department of Education, about $4 million in kindergarten funding is available to school districts until spring of 2004. After that time, state funding for kindergarten is expected to disappear.

http://www.yorkweekly.com/news/rock/013 ... /73443.htm
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:33 am

If as the article states the money from the state was approved how can they just back out of giving it to us? Does Merrimack have any legal grounds to force the state to hold to their part of the deal?
RBarnes

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:20 pm

I say if the state backed out, the people of Merrimack ought to back out and end public kindergarten. It is not required, it was spun by the Rungs and Colemans of the world on how are kids would be left behind. Just another day care at the taxpayers expense. Be a parent and teach them how to color and learn the alphabet at age 5. Once again we are being fleeced.
Devils Advocate

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:25 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Wayne

I agree with you. That $1,200 per student was a Shaheen program. I believe that our School Board should have checked out these facts BEFORE foisting false notions on the townspeople. Ms. Rung was determined to get those kindergartens so the kids had a better chance to get into college (according to Ms. Rung). Meanwhile, the money we could be saving to put our kids through college is being slowly eroded through our high tax bills. Soon, many of us won't have money for college.

Hey Jeannine,

You and your CC friends don't give up. :lol: :lol:
Muriel Lortie

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:28 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I say if the state backed out, the people of Merrimack ought to back out and end public kindergarten. It is not required, it was spun by the Rungs and Colemans of the world on how are kids would be left behind. Just another day care at the taxpayers expense. Be a parent and teach them how to color and learn the alphabet at age 5. Once again we are being fleeced.

DA,

Were you one who voted for the same "USELESS" respresentation of Merrimack in Concord?
Muriel Lortie

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:41 pm

No Muriel, it is you who voted for the new and old useless reps in Merrimack, The pompous Chuck Mower who knows how to spend your money and mine better than you or I, along with his cohorts Hinch and Whitlock, lest not we forget the spinmeisters who spin the tail of woe and how we have to have public kindergarten or our children will be left in the streets pushing shopping carts and collecting cans. For god sakes Muriel, buy the kids some crayons, sit down and teach them the alphabet, and mostly spend some time with them instead of using my money and yours for a glorified day care facility. Want to put a dent in your tax bill, cancel public kindergarten, teach your kids the basics or pay for it yourself. The world and certainly not Merrimack kids will not fail if we do not have this every growing expense. In spite of what this tax and spend liberal school board will have you believe.
Devils Advocate

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:06 pm

DA,

You and your CC bitterness/selfishness in giving the children of Merrimack a better education is PATHETIC. THEY ARE OUR FUTURE

Muriel, it is you who is bitter. We are talking about 5 year old kids that I assure you will not be left behind. My children are doing quite well in school and they did not have public kindergarten. I as a parent took time to read, teach them the alphabet and yes to color and I paid for them to go to pre school for 2 hrs a day 3 days a week. Taking time to do this will give your kids a better future than any employee of a kindergarten ever will. It is you the PATHETIC one that wants to have the government pay for everything, I guess Ray is doing quite well plumbing that you want to throw his money away on what amounts to public day care.
Devils Advocate

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:08 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:No Muriel, it is you who voted for the new and old useless reps in Merrimack, The pompous Chuck Mower who knows how to spend your money and mine better than you or I, along with his cohorts Hinch and Whitlock, lest not we forget the spinmeisters who spin the tail of woe and how we have to have public kindergarten or our children will be left in the streets pushing shopping carts and collecting cans. For god sakes Muriel, buy the kids some crayons, sit down and teach them the alphabet, and mostly spend some time with them instead of using my money and yours for a glorified day care facility. Want to put a dent in your tax bill, cancel public kindergarten, teach your kids the basics or pay for it yourself. The world and certainly not Merrimack kids will not fail if we do not have this every growing expense. In spite of what this tax and spend liberal school board will have you believe.

DA,

I have lived in this town for 35 years and I paid for and sent each and every one of my three children through private kindergarten. Your anonymous crap about one of the finest School Board's this town has ever had does not cut it with me.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:12 pm

DA,

I have lived in this town for 35 years and I paid for and sent each and every one of my three children through public kindergarten. Your anonymous crap about one of the finest School Board's this town has ever had does not cut it with me.

And I have lived here 32yrs, whoop dee doo. I am glad you paid for your kids like I did. Thats my point. If it worked for you and I, it will continue to work for future 5 yr olds. Finest school boards, now thats funny. I love a Rung that carries picket signs to advance her agenda. Spin spin spin and you suck it up like a vacum.
Devils Advocate

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 pm

Hey DA,

Just like the vacumn you have/will suck up in Concord. :lol: :lol:
Muriel Lortie

Next

Return to School Topics