Robots!!!!

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Robots!!!!

Postby RBarnes » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:16 am

I'm not sure if this should be a library topic or a school topic but I'd like to thank both for putting on that display of the robots the high school and middle school put together last night at the library.

It really is too bad we don't have a larger library because there really wasn't enough room for it but I was impressed regardless. My son was talking about the big robot with the spinning light all night. Unfortunately he got a little too over whelmed because he wanted to "build a robot" so we had to leave before the middle school had a chance to talk about their projects. It was so crowed last night there were people left standing in the hallway since there wasn't enough room for them all to fit in. The high school robot didn't even really have room to move around and show off what it could do.

I’m quite impressed though since I would expect that kind of project done at the college level and here we have our high school students doing it.
RBarnes

Postby Pat Heinrich » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:29 pm

Glad you enjoyed the program. Our tally showed 67 participants. The meeting room is rated for 75 people..... The large meeting room in the new library will be rated for 150 people - which is only twice the size of the current room. Imagine the possibilities of last night's program in that meeting room!
Pat Heinrich

Postby Shannon Barnes » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:25 pm

I agree. I went to the BOS meeting last night while Rick was in the library. I was thinking What excellent uses for the town the existing library would have. Access tothe courtroom for the elderly & handicapped is a challenge. We could make that building a courthouse and use other space in the building for town meeting rooms. There will come a time if it hasn't come already where we have outgrown our town office space. A new library would help the town in more ways than one!

But I am off-topic. My son is still talking about the robots today!

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby RBarnes » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:19 pm

Pat Heinrich wrote:Glad you enjoyed the program.

Pat can you email me off line the name of the woman from the Middle School who was heading up the Lego robot program. She took a couple pictures of my son while he was looking over the robots and I wanted to see if she could email me a copy of them (plus she wanted to get my sons name in case she used the pictures in the school news letter and I’m not sure I gave it too her, it’s Noah).

Pat Heinrich wrote:Our tally showed 67 participants. The meeting room is rated for 75 people.....

If it were a meeting alone I'm sure that room would have fit everyone but with the space needed to show the robot move and to set up the table for the Lego robots there wasn't much room left over for the people.

It really is a shame that more people don't see the advantages such as this one that we gain out of having a library. This is a perfect example of the library going far beyond just being a warehouse for books.
RBarnes

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water