Library now offers online testing!!

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Library now offers online testing!!

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:02 pm

In case you missed this in today's Nashua Telegraph, I am posting the article here, because I think it's a great idea!!

Learn-a-Test’

The Merrimack Public Library recently added “Learn-a-Test” to its database collection.

“Learn-a-Test” provides materials and interactive practice exams based on official tests such as the GED, AP, SAT, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, cosmetology, real estate, EMS and more. The service lets you take lessons and practice exams to prepare for the tests. These self-paced courses are immediately scored, answers are explained and results analyzed. Patrons can set up their own account through the use of their library card and a password.

Use of this product is free to Merrimack Public Library cardholders and can be accessed from home by visiting http://www.merrimack.lib.nh.us and clicking on the databases link.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby carmen vacchiano » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:11 pm

And to all the anti-library it's a dinosauer THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE of what the libraries of the future will be. We must find a way to keep MMK's library updated and expanded,not only for our children but to attract buisness.Anyone thaught of approaching the local college in town the name escapes me to maybe help with funding through endowments,grants?If we needed to change the the name to the Merrimack-College ? would that be bad?
carmen vacchiano

Postby Pat Heinrich » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am

Carmen
The trustees and the building committee have a list of places to approach for grant money once building approval has been obtained. Funding sources need to know that the project has community support. We are currently working on trying to get promises in writing for some eventual grant funding from them since we think that $2.5 mill shows a whole lot of community support!

Note: I am not sure what contacting the Thomas Moore College would gain us or what you are suggesting regarding changing the name of the library. Please note, the library once WAS known as the Lowell Library because the land and building were purchased with money from the Lowell family - but people preferred it to be called the Merrimack Library, in which we have and will continue to have a "Lowell Room."
Pat
Pat Heinrich

Postby carmen vacchiano » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:24 pm

pat, I thaugt if we could tie the library to the college by "selling naming rights"if they got on board with funding for a portion. I am searching for ideas .We need a new library but we also need tax relief. i'm merely thinking my butt off to try and make both happen.I know the hard work the library trustees have done to try and make this a reality.old perceptions die hard!!!!!
carmen vacchiano

Postby Tom Williams » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:37 am

OK, here is an idea; not fully formed, but perhaps worthy of some consideration:

Why not merge with other nearby libraries to form one larger library with several branches? I was a member of just such a library in Gwinnett County, Georgia. The Gwinnett County library is a merger of 8 or 10 small town libraries in Gwinnett County, most of which are about the size of the Merrimack library. The way it works is there is one card catalog for the system (similar to the GMILCS) which shows all items and their location. If you want an item from a different branch, you request it online to be brought to your branch, and they have a shuttle that makes daily deliveries between libraries. They will even transport materials that can't be checked out so you can use them in your own branch (good for genealogy people). I usually requested the items I wanted from their web site, and then stopped by a day or two later to pick them up.

This approach would allow the group of merged libraries to acquire materials as a larger library would, and distribute them among several locations instead of only one larger location. On the cost side, I assume operations costs a little more for the trasporting of materials and coordination between branches, but likely a lot less than a new library.

Comments?
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Pat Heinrich » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:40 am

I know many states have large county libraries or some other form of combined libraries. Like many other things in New Hampshire, our system of small local libraries is basically unique in the country. This has a lot to do with the where and how the libraries were established as well as the need in New Hampshire for "local control." And it also has to do with one other thing: money. Most of the combined libraries in other states also have either state or county funding (or both) available. Here in NH, there are no state or county funds for local libraries. Only the NH State Library receives state funding and much of its funding actually comes from federal programs.

However, while not merged - all libraries belong to area forums or cooperatives. These cooperatives do share resources. There is also state-wide inter-library loan which allows any library to request items from any other library in the state. Requests are usually handled by the reference staff, on-line, and the state library does have a van that delivers (and returns) requested items.

The GMILCS library consortium is also unique in New Hampshire. While all the libraries remain locally funded and controlled, these libraries have shared computer system, the common borrower card program and combined buying power which reduces costs to the individual libraries in the group. (The Common Borrower Card allows you to actually go to one of the GMILCS libraries to get an item they might have using your Merrimack Library card and you can return it here in town and we will see that it is returned to the correct library.)

I am not sure if patrons can request items thru inter-library loan on-line, but will certainly look into it. However, we do currently in place the service you are talking about: requesting items from other libraries in state that are then delivered to our library which is where you both pick up and return them. Did you know that the inter-library loan program is actually national? We often request items from out of state libraries as well!
Pat Heinrich

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water