Should i switch to adelphia Internet service

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby RD » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:47 am

DSL for $35/month definitely sounds interesting. I have heard, though, that it's slower than cable internet (my cable network connection appears to be running at 8Mbps). Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in speed between DSL and cable? Thanks.
RD

Re: Should i switch to adelphia Internet service

Postby mmoy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:55 am

carmen vacchiano wrote:I've been contemplating switching to adelphia cable modem for my computer. I heard of problems in the past. how is the service now? Is there any other type of high speed acess available in merrimack. I have inquired of verizon dsl and earthlink dsl neither is available in merrimack.Please help i am sick of telephone line slowness!!!

DSL is available in Merrimack from Verizon and others though Verizon provides the service. You have to live around 2 miles from the PBX though.

michael
mmoy

Postby Tim Tenhave » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:01 am

I have had Verizon DSL for over 2 years now and have seen only 2 outages of any length of time. Both in summer and the first was growing pains in the system. Neither lasted that long.

DSL reports (http://www.dslreports.com/stest) has consistently shown about 690Kbits/sec download and 130Kbits/sec upload speed through my 802.11b wireless card/router. This is the expected speed and I have been very pleased in general.

You should expect faster speed from cable. The horror stories of Adelphia's growing pains has kept me away from them and now I am just comfortable where I am at.

tim
Tim Tenhave

Postby carmen vacchiano » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:43 pm

WELL ITS BEEN OVER A MONTH . I CAN TRULY SAY I'M SATISFIED AND QUITE SURPRISED. I DID HAVE A PROBLEM THE 1ST WEEK WITH A BAD ETHERNET CARD THE SERVICE TECH CAME AS SCHEDULED AND FIXED THE PROB EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MY EQUIPMENT THAT WAS AT FAULT. i WAS NEVER A BIG FAN OF ADELPHIA BUT I MUST SAY THER WINNING ME OVER.
carmen vacchiano

Cost of Adelphia cable broadband??

Postby brianbrodeur » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:50 pm

If you are NOT a customer of Adelphia (DirectTV), how much do they charge you just for broadband? Assuming you can even get it. (I have cables from them to my house)
brianbrodeur

Re: Cost of Adelphia cable broadband??

Postby RD » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:56 pm

brianbrodeur wrote:If you are NOT a customer of Adelphia (DirectTV), how much do they charge you just for broadband? Assuming you can even get it. (I have cables from them to my house)

I am not an Adelphia cable TV subscriber. They charge me $61.80 per month for internet access only.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

How much

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:03 pm

I have Adelphia cable modem, TV and HBO - I am satisfied with their service. My bill for all three totals $102 per mo.

I believe cable modem alone is 49.95 per mo.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby bobandgeri » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:20 pm

We suscribe to Powerlink only as we have DISH - the charge is $61 per month.
bobandgeri

Postby mmoy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:23 pm

RD wrote:
brianbrodeur wrote:If you are NOT a customer of Adelphia (DirectTV), how much do they charge you just for broadband? Assuming you can even get it. (I have cables from them to my house)

I am not an Adelphia cable TV subscriber. They charge me $61.80 per month for internet access only.

Verizon DSL is $35/month. Only catch is that you have to be within 12K
feet of a PBX.
mmoy

Postby brianbrodeur » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:32 pm

RD wrote:

Wow. I'll stick with my verizon DSL! i currently have it for $34.99/mo...although I did have it for $29.99/mo because I had a larger phone service package.

thanks!
Bri
brianbrodeur

Postby Tom Williams » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:27 pm

Hot dog!!!

DSL has arrived in my neighborhood! Good bye Adelphia!
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Tom Williams » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:02 pm

Whoa - not so fast!

After receiving 3 letters from Verizon announcing that my home was now eligible for DSL, and after checking it myself on their website, I placed an order for the service.

Then, after I received the equipment, I received an email saying that my order had been cancelled and please return the equipment. When I called, they told me that there had been some kind of mistake, that DSL is really not available after all. I am just too far from the switch.

Sigh....
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby T Dutton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:35 pm

If you are interested in changing, You might be able to use Earthlink.
T Dutton

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:39 pm

I am disappointed with Verizon. I have found them to have excellent customer service in my dealings.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby RD » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:25 pm

I just recently switched from Adelphia to Verizon DSL, saving myself around $30/month. Interestingly, however, when I called Adelphia to cancel, the representative asked how much I was paying for my new service. I told her $29.95. She said "hold on, let me speak to my supervisor." When she came back, she said she could offer me cable internet access for $24.95. She said the service would be slower than my current Adelphia service, but I "wouldn't notice the difference."

I passed on it, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone wanted to try to lower their Adelphia rate.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

PreviousNext

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water