I have HDTV!

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

I have HDTV!

Postby Mr Al Beebe » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Well, i just bought an HD...TV..... Can someone post some specific information on Adelphias HDTV offering.... like programming, price, availability, experience. Thanks - AL

Im not sure what my parents have for our cable package, all i know is this will be the first HDTV in the house.
Mr Al Beebe

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:27 am

FYI--I work for Adelphia in the marketing dept.

So far, this is what we carry for HDTV services...

WBZ (CBS)
WMUR (ABC)
WHDH (NBC)
WFXT**(FOX)
HBO*
Cinemax*
Showtime*
Starz*

* Must subscribe to premium service to receive HDTV feed
** Not TRUE HDTV, but a digitally compressed feed, kind of a semi-HD

Price: First set: $7.95 (includes equipment)
Shannon Barnes

Postby Cameron Perry » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:19 am

Shannon: FYI...Adelphia does NOT offer WBZ (CBS) yet (which was extremely disappointing for the Super Bowl :? ).
Cameron Perry

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:25 pm

Cameron,

Thank you for the correction. I apologize for the snafu in information. I meant WENH (PBS) is on the HDTV line-up, not WBZ.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby rbhayes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:07 pm

Shannon

When will CBS be offered in HDTV? Does the HDTV tuner include a DVR (digital Video Recorder) ?

Does Adelphia offer a dual channel DVR (digital Video Recorder) that competes with the DISH 721 for digital signals, or the DISH DVR 921 for HDTV signals? If not, when will Adelphia offer a similar offering?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/prod ... ndex.shtml
rbhayes

Postby Cameron Perry » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:34 pm

rb: I've been bugging them about CBS since before the Super Bowl. No definitive word as to when they'll be adding it. You can check out this forum thread for history and future updates:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... did=356624

I'll say this, the channels that we do get look awesome when they're broadcasting hi-def content.

Another handy website to find out show listings in hi-def:
http://www.titantv.com/ttv/home/HDTVUpdate.aspx
Last edited by Cameron Perry on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron Perry

Postby rbhayes » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Cameron

Thanks for the postive feedback on the quality of the high def offering! But without a DVR being offered by Adelphia we will have to stay with DISH as we almost never watch shows real time. Wish Adelphia would publish there plans, or Shannon would reply here.
rbhayes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:36 pm

Sorry!! I have been on the road 13+ hours a day for most of the last 2 weeks (today was Conway--lovely this time of year!).

Adelphia is still negotiating CBS in HDTV. We have to negotiate on the national level, as the Boston CBS is an O&O (Owned & operated by CBS, not a franchise). The decisions made will affect everyone from NH to Los Angeles Adelphia customers. We could not "cut a deal" locally on this one.

We have an excellent corporate programming department who will always work with program providers to make a fair & equitable deal for all involved. I have spoken with the Executive VP in charge. She is very responsive, open and welcoming of feedback I provide based on feedback I get from the field.

It isn't the "plan" you are looking for, but know we keep our eyes open to the request of the customers. As the arketing manager, I work very closely woth both programmers to keep up with what is out there and corporate to see "where we are with the deal."

Feel free to throw out network requests on the forum (new thread please). You know both Rick & I check it out regularly.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Mr Al Beebe » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:55 pm

I picked up the HDTV box from Adelphia the other day. WOW... thats what i have to say... WOW. HBO in HD is amazing. I have never see a movie look any better then that. The primetime show that are in HD are amazing as well. Anyhow, you said Fox is not true HD? The picture looked pretty darn HD to me. - AL
Mr Al Beebe

Postby Cameron Perry » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:30 pm

Mr. Al: I agree...hi-def is very impressive, even though I don't have HBO! Fox currently offers some of its shows in "enhanced widescreen" at 480p, which - as you said - still looks great. Good news is that they're planning most of their new Fall lineup to be in true HD.

It's funny...you'll find yourself watching shows just because they are in HD! My wife & I aren't really big NASCAR fans, but we found ourselves glued to the Daytona 500 because the picture and sound were so awesome! :shock:

Happy HD to you! (check out the links I posted below...you should find them helpful)
Cameron Perry

Postby Shannon Barnes » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:53 am

I cannot remember which thread had the DVR "?" so I will reply here. I am testing it right now at home.

I was in Londonderry yesterday & got some info on the DVR. It IS dual input--comparable to the satellite service's DVR.

Also, as a TiVO customer myself, I find this to be the first plus of the digital box DVR. I also like not having to use the IR blasterlike I do w/ TiVO to get my TiVO to talk to my converter. Also like how it works with the guide, so if there is an episode of Friends that starts at 7:59 intil 8:42, it will understand it. The only thing it can't handle is live sports, as the timing is not scientific, but this is the case w/ TiVO too.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby rbhayes » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:37 am

Shannon

I received your reply to my email and will respond this weekend. A question regarding the DVR that others may want to know as well.

When you say Dual input - do you mean that it has a dual tuner so you can record two shows at the same time, record one and watch another, or do PIP (picture in picture) - or do you mean that you can attach an antenna too it and receive/record OTA (over the air) signals. The DISH HDTV DVR does both.

Thanks
rbhayes

Postby Tom Williams » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:52 pm

Also, DirectTV sells TiVo in the same box as the converter, so there are no issues with the DVR and the converter talking to each other. As I mentioned previously, their fee for TiVo is $5/month; if you get the service direct from TiVo, it is $12/month.

Does Adelphia offer a DVR service directly, or do Adelphia customers have to get this from a third party?
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Shannon Barnes » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:14 pm

Answers in order of post:

Bob, You have only one input but two opportunities to record at the same time. You do not have the opportunity to connect your satellite equipment to the system (I think that is your "?"). Basically, you can record two programs at the same time. That is the dual imput function. Picture in Picture is not the result from what I read.

Tom, The DVR is part of the box and is all from us..no 3rd party such as ReplayTV or TiVO. The service (including equipment) is $7.95. We expect to launch in March.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:14 am

Good News

WBZ in HD is NOW AVAILABLE on channel 704!!!

It activated this morning.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Next

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water