Toll booth moving

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Toll booth moving

Postby timothy dutton » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Merrimack is not really getting a break on tolls. The state wants to swap exit 12 for a toll at exit 10? Anyone using exit 12 will still pay a toll if they are coming from Nashua and does not get off in Nashua. Of course they could get off in Nashua and by pass exit 10 and take exit 11 north. Looks like Merrimack will be responsible for entire upgrades and maintenance for the entire length of the FE Everett Turnpike!
timothy dutton

Re: Toll booth moving

Postby tooth350 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am

This is another example of the state and surrounding towns ganging up on our town, Maybe its time to get serious with the state and have the town paid attourneys sue the state and withold all funds to the state until this issue gets resolved once and for all.Issue a town citizen sticker and put up a toll booth on each end of our town and charge out of towners like nashua and manchester people and see how they like it. We fought a war for this same reason "Taxation without representation" C'mon people get off your winey hineys and start complaning loudly to our reps and make them fight harder for us. Just like the federal govt. if you don't make your voice heard you deserve what you get, look at the healthcare debackle congress and Obama want to force down your throats, and that was just the beginning of many bad things to come down the pike.STAND UP PEOPLE IT'S YOUR COUNTRY.
tooth350

Postby ggkrupp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 am

Maybe we could toll the entrance to the State Liquor Outlet off of Continental ... :D
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Speeder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 am

I think it's important to make our neighbors (Nashua and Bedford) aware that there is a spill-over effect from concentrating the tolls in one community (Merrimack). Specifically, residents in Merrimack have gotten wise to the injustice and have found ways to skirt the tolls. My wife uses Tinker Road to Exit 8 on her commute, and I cut through to 101 and go through Bedford. This puts more traffic on local roads, because there isn't a huge impact on travel time to use these alternate routes. But do you think Nashua and Bedford consider the impact to traffic in their own towns when they continue to support the status quo, or alternatives that don't address the inequity?

Since elected officials don't seem to care, making residents of our neighboring towns aware of this is critical to making change happen. And don't forget that it's not only Merrimack residents that are finding alternate routes, but people that work in Merrimack as well. I'm not sure how to best quantify the impact, but if I lived in Bedford and had to sit in 101 traffic every day, I wouldn't be too happy to know that X% of that traffic was simply avoiding the toll road.
Speeder

Postby Speeder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

I've been thinking about this toll thing a bit more, and was wondering whether we could use the highway as a revenue source for the town. Why not have our local PD do speed enforcement? I'm not sure it's within their jurisdiction or not, or whether it could bring in enough revenue to make it worthwhile. But it could bring in a couple hundred thousand $ a year if we could pull it off.
Speeder

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Its not and those speeding ticket fees go to the state, not to the local PD.

Speeder wrote:I've been thinking about this toll thing a bit more, and was wondering whether we could use the highway as a revenue source for the town. Why not have our local PD do speed enforcement? I'm not sure it's within their jurisdiction or not, or whether it could bring in enough revenue to make it worthwhile. But it could bring in a couple hundred thousand $ a year if we could pull it off.
Brian McCarthy

Postby tastyratz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am

speeding "enforcement" like that should be criminal anyways. Raising revenues by bagging good citizens on minor charges is not the proper way to go about it. It costs taxpayers a lot less to just pay a slight increase in taxes than the amount of money going into the town from tickets and then leaving to insurance rates. Then if the whole town is full of residents with high points we get re-zoned.

Moot point since multi jurisdiction highways are considered state owned and run. A cop cant even chase you onto the highway and pull you over, a state police trooper would have to. There is a reason there is never local officers trapping on the interstate.
tastyratz

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water