New Access Road & Avoiding the Toll

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

New Access Road & Avoiding the Toll

Postby Speeder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:06 am

A big "Thank You" to NHDOT for making it so easy to avoid the Bedford toll.

Getting off at DW Highway and then getting back on takes you right around the toll booth. Going north this morning, it took me about 2 extra minutes. I haven't done it going south yet, but with the longer loop ramps I would expect it to take about 3 minutes.

I'm sure all the locals will quickly figure out how to do this. :D

Now, if we can figure out how to avoid the tolls at the 3 other Merrimack ramps...
Speeder

Re: New Access Road & Avoiding the Toll

Postby andysinnh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:20 am

Speeder wrote:A big "Thank You" to NHDOT for making it so easy to avoid the Bedford toll.

Getting off at DW Highway and then getting back on takes you right around the toll booth. Going north this morning, it took me about 2 extra minutes. I haven't done it going south yet, but with the longer loop ramps I would expect it to take about 3 minutes.

I'm sure all the locals will quickly figure out how to do this. :D

Now, if we can figure out how to avoid the tolls at the 3 other Merrimack ramps...

So the real question is - if you get stuck at one of the lights while bypassing the tolls, do you use 70 cents in gas to offset the savings (EZPASS discount) for that scenic tour? Will be interesting to see if it's more efficient as the use of that intersection picks up.....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Speeder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

andysinnh wrote:So the real question is - if you get stuck at one of the lights while bypassing the tolls, do you use 70 cents in gas to offset the savings (EZPASS discount) for that scenic tour? Will be interesting to see if it's more efficient as the use of that intersection picks up.....

I suppose this depends on the mileage of your vehicle. I have a 4-cylinder and get about 28 mpg, so there's no way I'm using $0.70 in gas. The driver of an 8-cylinder pickup that gets 14 mpg may want to take a different approach.
Speeder

Postby lynn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:04 am

coming south doesn't work
I was curious yesterday to see if you could

you can get off just before the toll, run over to the rotary on the other side
of the river and come back - but you have the option of going North on the highway, not south
only option is to get off and head south on DW. but to avoid any toll you need to go all the
way thru Merrimack to Exit 8 - if you get back on the highway prior - you pay the exit ramp
tol. so you save $.50 and get to spend time in traffic and sitting at lights.
lynn

Postby Speeder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:59 pm

lynn wrote:coming south doesn't work
I was curious yesterday to see if you could

you can get off just before the toll, run over to the rotary on the other side
of the river and come back - but you have the option of going North on the highway, not south
only option is to get off and head south on DW. but to avoid any toll you need to go all the
way thru Merrimack to Exit 8 - if you get back on the highway prior - you pay the exit ramp
tol. so you save $.50 and get to spend time in traffic and sitting at lights.

This is completely untrue. You can get on Southbound FEET from the Airport Road.

And to avoid the toll going south, you get off on DW Highway, turn left, past the lumberyard, then right onto the on-ramp. After merging you can stay left for South and right for North.

Alternatively, from either Northbound or Southbound, you can go all the way over the river to the rotary and then come back, and then proceed Northbound or Southbound, but my feeling is that this would probably take a bit longer.
Speeder

Postby JMP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:06 pm

You can very easily avoid the toll both ways and going over the river is not the best method. You just have to "back track" a little. As for wasting gas at the light, I have found the the light changes very quickly.
I commute to the seacoast every day and I figure I'm going to save over $300 a year in tolls.
JMP

Postby JMP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:06 pm

You can very easily avoid the toll both ways and going over the river is not the best method. You just have to "back track" a little. As for wasting gas at the light, I have found the the light changes very quickly.
I commute to the seacoast every day and I figure I'm going to save over $300 a year in tolls.
JMP

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Can we start a betting pool on how long it takes NHDOT to erect toll booths here?
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby Speeder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Avoiding the toll southbound takes 3 mins 30 seconds. I timed it on my way home tonight around 7:00. Traffic was pretty light and I had to wait slightly at the light turning onto DW. On a dry sunny day with light traffic this could probably be done in 3 minutes flat. The northbound avoidance is definitely more efficient at 2 minutes.
Speeder

Postby bobandgeri » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

TonyRichardson wrote:Can we start a betting pool on how long it takes NHDOT to erect toll booths here?

My understanding is that they cannot since the bridge was funded by Federal funds - hence the need to move the Bedford Toll Plaza south.
bobandgeri

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 pm

bobandgeri wrote:
TonyRichardson wrote:Can we start a betting pool on how long it takes NHDOT to erect toll booths here?

My understanding is that they cannot since the bridge was funded by Federal funds - hence the need to move the Bedford Toll Plaza south.

Funny, maybe someone needs to tell the various state DOTs that....

I-90 (Mass Pike) federally funded interstate highway....has tolls in MA and other states

I -95 federally funded interstate highway has tolls right here in NH

I bet other examples exist as well

If they can put toll boths on an interstate, a local road no matter what the funding source, would seem a much lower hill to climb to reach into our pockets.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby cosmo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:23 pm

They'll find some loop hole and eventually put up tolls.
cosmo

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water