Fair point DSL is down and they have no idea as to when

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Fair point DSL is down and they have no idea as to when

Postby mmoy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Fairpoint DSL is down and they have no idea as to when they will be back upend can not tell me what the problem is in restoring service. My phone service is fine so it is not a line issue on my end. I have been calling the daily asking for information and they have always responded that they do not know anything.

I do know that co cast is back up in our neighborhood and was considering switching over and I will give them a call to check on their services.

Does anyone know anything about what the problem in Merrimack is with Fairpoint?
mmoy

Re: Fair point DSL is down and they have no idea as to when

Postby mjg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 pm

You're not alone, front page on the telegraph website:
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/939 ... -from.html

Have to say, much as I hate being a Comcast pawn I've never had issues with the service.
mjg

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 pm

mmoy

I have seen Fairpoint trucks working around town for over a week. They spend a consderable amount of time at a junction box on Baboosic Lake Rd about 1/4 mile before the new school. They are there so often, we've been wondering what their problem might be.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby mmoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm

I called ComCast last week and they could set my up within two days. I now have ComCast at 25 Mb/sec and it sure beats DSL at 3 Mb/sec.

They told me that they were back up and running last Thursday (I called the CEO's office and got more attention in that they are calling me everyday). So I gave it a try and - no go. So I called tech support and they said that I had a bad modem so they sent me a new one which arrived yesterday and I tried to set it up today. Well I spent about 90 minutes trying to get it to work and gave up. I really didn't feel like calling tech support (it's often a bit of a painful process doing support with them over the phone) as I had a pretty long day today.

I understand that any company can have problems with power outages but Fairpoint has been a pain in the neck for several years - but I've just been too lazy to look at alternatives. Well, alternative as there are really only two options in town. So I'm thinking of calling them back tomorrow to just cancel DSL service. I still have a landline with them and I'm still thinking about dropping that but I've been thinking about it for a few years. My cell phone worked just fine in this last power outage.

The utility trucks might be fixing phone lines. The problem on the installation is in connecting to their network and it is possible that their local network is having some problems. On the other hand, they were able to trace the signal remotely to my house to verify that my network was down (as the modem may be bad).

Thanks for your comments.
mmoy

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:59 pm

I also used to be a Fairpoint DSL customer. I dropped them 10 months ago. I haven't dropped my phone line yet but I did move it the cheapest service they have. They call it measured service and it ends up costing about $14 a month. Most of that is state and federal taxes too. Sure Fairpoint gets all the federal taxes back (and more) as a subsidy since they are a rural carrier but $14 was worth it for five nines reliable POTS. They sure can't provide high speed internet worth anything though.
Nat Fairbanks

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 am

We moved from our DirecTV/Fairpoint phone & DSL setup to a Comcast package deal for cable, phone & internet this past Summer. I miss some things about DirecTV but overall we have been happy with the switch. Fairpoint is just not Verizon and our service was never as good under Fairpoint. I've had three or four calls from DirecTV trying to lure us back but I've had to explain that a package deal works better for us and that going back to DirecTV means going back to Fairpoint ... we just aren't willing to do that unless we are somehow disappointed with Comcast service down the road.
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
ggkrupp

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 pm

We have had Comcast phone for less than 2 years. In the 33 years that we had Verizon/ATT land line we never had a major power outage. During the ice storm of 2008 Verizon was still in charge of the land line while the sale to Fairpoint was going through. We didn't miss 1 minute of phone service even though we lost power for 6 days. In the less than 2 years that we have had Comcast we have had 5 major power outages as well as other problems with the phone service. Last week we lost all phone, internet and cable for three days. I suppose it is better than Fairpoint but neither company has the reliability of phone service that Verizon gave us.
Ann Goldman

Postby tastyratz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:34 am

fairpoint is useless. I had to get the fcc, puc, and attourney general involved when I had them after verizon left. I had ceo personal home numbers and cell phones and it STILL took them 6 months to get me my money back. I had to close the card attached, I know some people who went to collections being charged a year after disconnecting service.

That was the worst thing we could have ever done for new england allowing them in here. Drop them like a bad habit NOW
tastyratz

Postby mmoy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:53 am

I think that we should be reasonably well covered with ComCast internet and Fairpoint phone (lifeline) service. We have cell phones for backup phone service and the iPad for backup Internet.

Another potentially interesting option is in Verizon offering 4G service - they are installing it between Nashua and Manchester in a month. A coworker has a Verizon wireless hub that runs off 4G (not in this area at the moment) and he said that 4G speeds are quite good. I think that it costs him about $40/month but it's a mobile solution.

I am very impressed with ComCast on performance of their internet service. There are no more bandwidth complaints at home now. Next: drop Fairpoint DSL service.
mmoy

Postby tastyratz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 pm

4g is not a viable option for home internet. Speeds are good for a phone, but during the outage my wife and I were dying on her 3g phone as a hotspot. Granted it was not 4g, but it is only so much better. In the end it is still dsl like speeds if you are lucky, and data capped with potential high overages
tastyratz

Postby mmoy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am

I guess it would have been okay when we were used to DSL speeds - unfortunately we're now used to cable speeds. :mrgreen:
mmoy

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water