Comcast digital adapters?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast digital adapters?

Postby cyclone7070 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Has anyone gotten one of these to work?
From what I was told they won't work here until 01/2012
If you recently lost channels 48 and 50 you need to contact Comcast.
Each tv in your house will need a digital cable box until they get the digital adapters to work in Merrimack.
You will have to fight with them so you don't get a monthly charge for them until then.
cyclone7070

Re: Comcast digital adapters?

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm

I asked several months ago and they said 'they are not ready for Merrimack'. I don't need to add something else to my non-Digital-ready TVs.

However, I did get a voicemail saying they were going to be doing some work on the system starting at midnight (but I forget which night...I'll be asleep ;-))
Brian McCarthy

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:I asked several months ago and they said 'they are not ready for Merrimack'. I don't need to add something else to my non-Digital-ready TVs.

However, I did get a voicemail saying they were going to be doing some work on the system starting at midnight (but I forget which night...I'll be asleep ;-))

I got the same message. last time we got that message it's when they upgraded the SW for the DVR and channel guide stuff. I'm hoping this time they activiate the ability to remotely manage/program the DVR's from the internet - or at least fix many of the glitchy problems with the TV Guide software seems to have. Tomorrow morning will give us that answer....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Scott Kepnes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 pm

We lost the channels and called Comcast who said to pick up the adapters at the Amherst St office. When I went there Sat. I was told that they don't have them for Merrimack yet and maybe not till next year sometime? I picked up cable boxes instead which we didn't have (need to pay xtra for them per month) and that's what were using now.

Scott
Scott Kepnes

Postby cyclone7070 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:I asked several months ago and they said 'they are not ready for Merrimack'. I don't need to add something else to my non-Digital-ready TVs.

Apparently Brian you do not watch Channels 48 and 50 if you have a non digital TV.
Those of us that do and have more than one TV in the house have to pay more.(A rate increase)of 8-9 $ a box
In my case with 2 other TVs that is a rate increase of 25% if I want the service I USED to have a few weeks ago.
cyclone7070

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 am

Correct, i don't view those channels - or at least not that I recall. I have not caught much TV over the past several months.

This isn't the first time Comcast has moved channels to upper levels and they are within their rights to do so since those channels are not within the 'must carry' list.

Those 'free boxes' that you seem to have a hold of, are only going to be of use when Comcast makes the cut-over to all-digital for its 'legacy Adelphia' subscribers. They are only giving them out for free because the FCC requires them to and the FCC is in full support of 'all digital'.

Brian

cyclone7070 wrote:

Apparently Brian you do not watch Channels 48 and 50 if you have a non digital TV.
Those of us that do and have more than one TV in the house have to pay more.(A rate increase)of 8-9 $ a box
In my case with 2 other TVs that is a rate increase of 25% if I want the service I USED to have a few weeks ago.
Brian McCarthy

Postby cyclone7070 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:Correct, i don't view those channels - or at least not that I recall. I have not caught much TV over the past several months.

This isn't the first time Comcast has moved channels to upper levels and they are within their rights to do so since those channels are not within the 'must carry' list.

Those 'free boxes' that you seem to have a hold of, are only going to be of use when Comcast makes the cut-over to all-digital for its 'legacy Adelphia' subscribers. They are only giving them out for free because the FCC requires them to and the FCC is in full support of 'all digital'.

Brian

cyclone7070 wrote:

If you call Comcast,none of them have a clue that the adapters don't work here.
The Customer Service Rep. insisted that they will.
I can understand why the Cable Advisory Board was disbanded now.
No one seems to care that service is being taken away little by little.
Maybe I'll wire all the TV's together and we can all watch the same channel.
cyclone7070

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Its not that the committee didn't care, its that the FCC is allowing Comcast to do this, and we had no teeth to fight back. Its been going on for years.

Many years ago, Adelphia was called on their missing a deadline and turned around and gave subscribers some money back on their next bill. Adelphia was a small company and realized they did something wrong and did the right thing. Comcast is a huge company and will sick their lawyers on the Town until the Town can't afford to continue the suite and will drop the issue. Its not nice, but its reality.

And yes, many times you get someone on the phone from Comcast and they have no clue that this area has both Scientific Atlanta and Motorola cable boxes/setups.

I don't know who handed you one of those units, but it was a mistake.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Joel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I'll offer a different perspective on the digital to analog cable discussion. You may hate that Comcast slowly takes away your analog channels but if they don't then there's not enough bandwidth to offer more HD channels and the like. Many of us pay a lot more for premium packages and we want more HD.

Comcast makes more money if they offer more and keeping a bunch of band hogging analog channels slows down the rollout of new channels.

I hope they fully upgrade Merrimack soon. Other towns get more stuff because they weren't part of the old Adelphia network. I'll say Comcast has been much better than Adelphia.
Joel

Postby cyclone7070 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:Its not that the committee didn't care, its that the FCC is allowing Comcast to do this, and we had no teeth to fight back. Its been going on for years.

Many years ago, Adelphia was called on their missing a deadline and turned around and gave subscribers some money back on their next bill. Adelphia was a small company and realized they did something wrong and did the right thing. Comcast is a huge company and will sick their lawyers on the Town until the Town can't afford to continue the suite and will drop the issue. Its not nice, but its reality.

And yes, many times you get someone on the phone from Comcast and they have no clue that this area has both Scientific Atlanta and Motorola cable boxes/setups.

I don't know who handed you one of those units, but it was a mistake.

Brian

Brian,just call,they are more than happy to send you a couple of adapters.
As soon as I mentioned them,he had them on order already and gave me a confirmation number.
cyclone7070

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water