New Library

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

New Library

Postby tim dutton » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 am

Library Trustees are really talking about a new building?
tim dutton

Re: New Library

Postby RBarnes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:27 pm

tim dutton wrote:Library Trustees are really talking about a new building?

They've been talking about a new building since before I ever moved here.

About two years ago a committee was formed which I'm on that has been looking at EVERY option available from doing some kind of retro fit of our current building with new shelving ideas to a new building to expanding the current building to building a small 2nd library... basically anything anyone can think of is being discussed and benefits and costs are being looked at. Even the question of what can be done with the old building if a new one is built are being asked.

Unless the trustees are ignoring the committee and going on their own I can tell you in my opinion we aren't close to knowing what is the best option for what they want and even if they did this isn't the economy to ask for a "want" right now.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 pm

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Take over one of the school libraries - we've got plenty of them. The climate for any monies being spent on a library is worse now than it was two years ago. Many people now use i-pads and Kindles for reading material and there are thousands of books you can download free online. Library Trustees need to get with the 21st Century and offer the books online rather than ordering more and more hardcover books.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby tim dutton » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:37 pm

There was a short discussion/presentation on channel 22 last night
tim dutton

Postby Pat McGrath » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Tim & Jeanne:

I am not exactly sure what was shown, but if it was the presentation before the Planning board in early December 2010, this was the Capital Improvement Plan. Each year, the Town as well as the School District lays out what it thinks it may need over the next 5-10 years in capital items. So what the Library Trustees have done for many years is to bring out the same plan –because there was no other plan –to get more space.

We know the realities of the economy and the Library trustees have no solid plan –but we have a committee and Rick Barnes is part of that –looking to solve the space needs. So what we did was to say to the Planning Board, that if a new Library were to be built, it could be built in stages (3) and the earliest phase one would be built would be in the 2012-13 time period. And we used current building prices ($197-199 / square foot) to give some idea of the cost. You have to keep in mind that for many years the Planning Board evaluated the idea of a new Library as a need.

So the “process” forced us to come up with some sort of an idea even though the Library Board is nowhere near the end of the development of a plan. The committee that Rick and many others are serving on, are still deep into coming up with a solution. The Planning Board did ultimately vote that the Library is an exploratory idea and that we should look into purchasing a building in Town as an answer to space needs and services. I am sure the Library Development and Marketing committee will look into that as well.

So not to worry, there is nothing on the horizon for several years that truly and adequately addresses the library needs.

The Merrimack Public Library is already in the 21st Century as it provides and supports Downloadable Audio books, electronic books to use of various readers –and these can be accessed right from your own homes. Sometimes when I travel, I reach back to Merrimack on the Internet and do some research and also get the items I need such as an audiobook or many other items. We already have patrons asking us which e-readers we can support. (Answer: all but the Kindle—because it has it's own special format) And after New Years there will be programs to teach patrons how to maximize the use of their readers using the Merrimack Public Library resources.

Pat
Pat McGrath

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Pat

I appreciate your input. Who visits the library on a regular basis? Elderly, teens?

PS: Kindle does read mutiple formats with the exception of PDFs.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Pat McGrath » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Jeanne:

The broad answer is that people of all ages --from pre-schoolers to folks up into their 90's visit the library for programs and resources. As for the Kindle, so far it seems that some of the Epub books that can be downloaded can't be read on the Kindle --but I am open and willing to learn anything new in that regard. The good news as for Kindle users ( or those thinking about buying one, is that it can read PDF files. I own one and have done it. So here is the technique: connect the Kindle cable to the USB port on your computer. Then drag the PDF file over from your documents (or wherever you have it on the computer) and drop it on the Kindle under My Computer. The document shows up on the list of items on your Kindle Screen.

You can upload to Amazon say a spreadsheet or a document and they can convert and download to you the item in PDF. Personally I rather use my software to make my own PDF and then to the moving.

By the way, the Kindle can be used as an MP3 player.

All the best,

Pat
Pat McGrath

Postby TonyRichardson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am

Issue with Kindle and Pdf is not that it can't read them, it can.

The issue is that more complex formatting doesnt carry over properly sometimes, it has trouble with that.

It does support multiple other formats as well.

That said, I still would take my Kindle over the other dedicated eReaders out there.

iPad is a different story, its a far more general device than an eReader, more of a netbook type device.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby tim dutton » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks Pat for the update
tim dutton

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water