Comcast DNS Issue ?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast DNS Issue ?

Postby bobandgeri » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Sunday night - returned home @ 8:30 - computers were accessing email but no web pages. Vonage device working fine. Rebooted one system and couldn't access anything. Tried to call comcast but either recieved a busy signal or a message that said that due to very high call volume they could not process the call.

Did some research and determined I couldn't reachthe Comcast dns servers. used my phone to find other servers and changed to them and all is working. Then tried to use chat to contact Comcast - 570 in the queue!

Checked the Network availablity page - all green.
Checked the DNS server page - all green

Anybody else having an issue?
bobandgeri

Re: Comcast DNS Issue ?

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm

no problem from the south of town.
Brian McCarthy

Postby JMac1000 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 pm

I am in the south end of town, and experiencing the same problem
JMac1000

Postby bobandgeri » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Brian - what DNS settings are you using and if automatic what are the DNS servers you use? I know of others having the same issue. The two New England DNS servers - 68.87.71.230 & 68.87.73.246 were dropping packets like crazy.

Just checked and the issue appears to be resolved.
bobandgeri

Postby bobandgeri » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Brian - while this outage was going on the Comcast Website indicated no issues. Who in the town should be asking Comcast why they didn't update the webpage and phone message and how they will better?

Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... _inte.html

Widespread internet outage for Comcast customers
Posted by Erica Noonan November 28, 2010 11:05 PM

Internet service is down for an unknown number of Comcast customers in Massachusetts tonight, according to the company.

The scope of the outage was not immediately available, but anecdotal reports suggested the interruption spanned from New England down to Washington D.C.

Telephone and cable service has not been affected by the problem, said Doreen Vigue, a Comcast spokeswoman. She said she could not provide any more details on the outage, but apologized on behalf of the company to affected customers.

“We’re aware of the problem, and we’re working aggressively to solve it,” Vigue said. “We’re bringing in as many extra people as possible to work on this.”
bobandgeri

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:01 am

I have 'auto' and it had for the primary 75.75.75.75 ?

Saw the story on WMUR last night also.
Brian McCarthy

Postby TonyRichardson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 am

I had the same issue, affecting my internet service and phone service from comcast.

The problem is still not completely resolved.

If I try to access a specific site I know is physically located in Colorado, I get the "cannot display this page" error.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby cosmo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 am

You can get around this issue by manually changing your DNS settings. This is what I did last night when I discovered the same problem reaching websites and plan to keep it as a permanent fix since this is not the first time Comcast has had this issue.
Under the tcp/ip settings of your network card, instead of obtaining the DNS servers automatically (from Comcast) change it to use well-known DNS servers. I'm now using 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

greg
cosmo

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:59 am

They should switch to DNS multicast. It's not that hard to do, and it makes a huge difference in the robustness of the client-server relationship. There's really no excuse to let two of your DNS servers go down when you only have two of them in the lease.

I remember when Adelphia had two DNS servers on the same subnet. I mean, how stupid is that? They were probably plugged into consecutive ports on the same hub underneath the same fire sprinkler. I was relieved when Comcast separated them, but apparently they didn't separate them far enough.
Michael Pelletier

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water