and yes there could be manuvering to get the road designated
as a highway - need chris to explain this
or maybe Tom
lynn

Re: Expansion and Tolls public hearing

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 am

From the Union Leader covering last evening's meeting:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... af2e62e5ff

Only one comment so far, but I'm sure more will show up during the day.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:14 am

To those who were there and did not get the feedback form, it should be on the Town website sometime today. As soon as I hear when the meeting will be broadcast and/or is online, I'll post the info here.

Note that one of the things that came out of one of the 'solutions' was, in effect, asking these people to recommend to the legislators that they disband themselves - in effect 'we recommend you fire me'. That solution was to get rid of the turnpikes and move to increase the gas tax through the entire state.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:23 pm

First airing will be at 1pm today. Should also be online about the same time. Channel 20 I am told. It is scheduled through Saturday (schedule online also).
Brian McCarthy

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:First airing will be at 1pm today. Should also be online about the same time. Channel 20 I am told. It is scheduled through Saturday (schedule online also).

I was rather disappointed in the public hearing. They say "we could put another toll in Merrimack, or remove some of them and go to Nashua, or other areas, Gee Merrimack whatdya think??..They have visited Nashua, Manchester, Merrimack, ect..Guess what, every community does not want a toll in their community, and every community had a statement read from their governing body. I guess every community is NIMBY.Where have I heard that one before. What do these people expect, and what was their motivation for coming. The study was flawed, and these officials have no authority, power, or even any influence over the process of where tolls go whatsoever. At some point in the meeting, I realized I was wasting my time, and left.

I knew they would strike a nerve in people when that state official lectured the audience about the Town of Merrimack agreeing to tolls about 30 years ago in exchange for exits. What i find amusing is that, in their small minds, they think Merrimack was the only beneficiary of these exits, including the newer exit 10. I suppose that some of the largest employers in the State of New Hampshire, such as Fidelity only benefits Merrimack? It benefits the entire state with good jobs. Without these exits, these employers such as Fidelity, Kollsman, ect could have built in some other state. Besides, you actually think 30 years later a community just bordering Nashua and just south of Manchester would go on with no exits?
JMac1000

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 am

Something no one ever seems to read is the actual MINUTES of the actual meetings in which Merrimack "agreed" to these tolls. The minutes clearly quote our BOS stating that IF the state strategy was going to be that any community that got new exits would also get a toll, then Merrimack would agree with that strategy and agree to the toll.

That seems to have been the official state strategy for about ONE DAY - the day Merrimack agreed to the tolls!
Debra Huffman

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:45 pm

For the time being I created a PDF form that can be used to send your feedback to the committee.

It is located at:

http://www.merrimacknh.org/gov/feet_tol ... _study.pdf

The second page is setup as a tri-fold mailer (if you have two sided printing).

An email address is also included to email the form once filled out and saved, could be emailed to that address.

The blue text will not print when you print the document.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Once filled out, I wasn't able to save it with my text. However, I printed it, scanned it back in as a PDF, and emailed that file.

Is there some trick to saving it - perhaps I need a license to edit PDFs?
Wayne

Postby Ann Goldman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Debra Huffman wrote:Something no one ever seems to read is the actual MINUTES of the actual meetings in which Merrimack "agreed" to these tolls. The minutes clearly quote our BOS stating that IF the state strategy was going to be that any community that got new exits would also get a toll, then Merrimack would agree with that strategy and agree to the toll.

That seems to have been the official state strategy for about ONE DAY - the day Merrimack agreed to the tolls!

Wow Debra! You actually found the original minutes. Based on those minutes there should be tolls for at least exit 2 and 8 in Nashua or any exits that were developed after that meeting. There are some in Manchester that were built after the Merrimack exits.

Something else has also bothered me about the supposed Merrimack agreement. The highway cut our town into 2 sections yet we were forced to pay for the right to use this highway. Was Merrimack fairly compensated for this invasive road or did the state just pay for the land it took?

Maybe we should start a letter to the editor campaign for the Telegraph and the Union Leader. I am sick of the other cities and towns claiming we have not been treated unfairly because we agreed to pay for the exits.
Ann Goldman

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Sorry ;-)

I'll check the settings on the PDF - and try it from a different computer. you should have been able to fill it out and print it directly..

Wayne wrote:Once filled out, I wasn't able to save it with my text. However, I printed it, scanned it back in as a PDF, and emailed that file.

Brian McCarthy

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Ann Goldman wrote:You actually found the original minutes.

Actually, someone else found them and gave them to me in a bundle of toll-related info he'd gathered. After a year or so I realized I wasn't going to do anything with all the paperwork he compiled and Mike Thompson was interested so I passed on the bundle to him.

And as far as the state compensating us for the highway, that's a good question and I'm not sure, but part of the compensation might have been giving us the 80 Acre site (I think it's now known as the Wildcat Falls Conservation Area?). I know there was some sort of state land swap involved in how we acquired that piece, not sure it was for the highway.
Debra Huffman

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:04 pm

You're correct Wayne, you can't save it then email it. I'll see what I can do.
Brian McCarthy wrote:Sorry ;-)

I'll check the settings on the PDF - and try it from a different computer. you should have been able to fill it out and print it directly..

Wayne wrote:Once filled out, I wasn't able to save it with my text. However, I printed it, scanned it back in as a PDF, and emailed that file.

Brian McCarthy

Postby MissyB » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Debra, I was looking for the minutes. Where did you find them? I did look on-line, although I didn't really expect to see them there.
MissyB

Postby Debra Huffman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Missy. See my post from Friday for where I found them (they found me, actually). I just called Mike Thompson and he did a smart thing. When he realized he wasn't going to do anything with them (just as two of us previously had) he gave the bundle to the library. I'm curious, so I'm going to go down there tomorrow to see if I can find the bundle. I wrote in the margins of some of the interesting pages, so I'll recognize my handwriting and know when I've got the right papers. I'll let you know if I find them.
Debra Huffman

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I went to the library and they have a lot of information dating back into the mid-80's, but I didn't find what I was looking for. The closest I could find was minutes of a public meeting in January 1986, when the Bedford Road ramp was being discussed. There is a comment about Merrimack willingly accepting the toll on the new Bedford Road ramp because we know that the work has to be paid for, and then saying we hoped other towns would also be funding their highway projects with tolls. That's a very watered down version of what I thought I remembered.
Debra Huffman

PreviousNext

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water