Water Alert

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Water Alert

Postby MissyB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:49 am

The following was issued by Nixle. I never remember a water alert in Merrimack before. Leads me to wonder what will happen when the mall opens.

Sun, July 4, 2010 12:17:51 PMAlert Message: The Merrimack Water District (MVD) has declared a water emergency Please utilize water that is only necessary
From: "TheNixleTeam@emails.nixle.com" <TheNixleTeam@emails.nixle.com>Add to Contacts
To:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Alert Message has been issued by the Merrimack Fire Rescue.

Sunday July 4, 2010 12:16 PM EDT

The Merrimack Water District (MVD) has declared a water emergency Please utilize water that is only necessary

The Merrimack Water District (MVD) has declared a water emergency Please utilize water that is only necessary for the 3 to 4 days. MVD will have further information to follow

For full details, go to https://local.nixle.com/alert/2727720/.

Contact Information:

Michael Currier
Fire Department
603-424-3690 mcurrier@merrimacknh.gov
MissyB

Re: Water Alert

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Also, you may see MVD will be driving around to notify people using water to cut back or postpone watering, School District used their notification system to get the word out, Roadside signs have been requested.
Brian McCarthy

Postby MissyB » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:15 am

Mon, July 5, 2010 8:03:41 AMAlert Message: MVD has requested all water users to curtail their use of water until further notice. Please conserve water
From: "TheNixleTeam@emails.nixle.com" <TheNixleTeam@emails.nixle.com>Add to Contacts
To:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ,

Alert Message has been issued by the Merrimack Fire Rescue.

Monday July 5, 2010 8:00 AM EDT

MVD has requested all water users to curtail their use of water until further notice. Please conserve water

MVD has requested all water users to curtail their use of water until further notice. Lack of precipitation over the last two months and current projections of no rain in site for the next week has created a potential emergency situation that could effect overall consumption and fire protection.
Water users are reminded that the odd/even water restrictions by MVD are in effect. Failure to comply with this request may result in further restrictions.
Your cooperation with this request is appreciated on this very important matter.

Thank you

For full details, go to https://local.nixle.com/alert/2732289/.

Contact Information:

Michael Currier
Fire Department
603-424-3690 mcurrier@merrimacknh.gov
MissyB

Postby MissyB » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:15 am

Duplicate post.
Last edited by MissyB on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissyB

Postby Stan Heinrich » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:37 pm

The Merrimack School District phone alert, I believe, only goes to homes that have students enrolled in the school district. So a lot of residents might not know about the problem.
As for signs, the only one I saw while going to Pennichuck Square at 1pm today was one at the MPD that said "Odd/Even " watering in effect.
That has been the case for years. The MVD decided to use the odd/even as a tool to manage water usage.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:12 pm

You are correct - only students enrolled - as of last year.

The Town realizes it is not perfect, but it does reach a large number of residents.

A better solution is being looked into (but costs money). The notification used this time has under 200 people signed up.

Also note that this is a issued for the Town because the Fire Department uses the water to put fires out, and when supplies are low, their ability to do their job (keep people safe) is at risk.

Brian

Stan Heinrich wrote:The Merrimack School District phone alert, I believe, only goes to homes that have students enrolled in the school district. So a lot of residents might not know about the problem.
As for signs, the only one I saw while going to Pennichuck Square at 1pm today was one at the MPD that said "Odd/Even " watering in effect.
That has been the case for years. The MVD decided to use the odd/even as a tool to manage water usage.
Brian McCarthy

Postby MissyB » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:35 pm

I just came down DW and was surprised that I did not see the other moveable sign the Town has. I wonder how MVD defines a "water emergency". Weather.com is predicting only a possibility of scattered thunderstorms on four days of the next ten days. That does not sound like an appreciable amount of rain to me. I wonder if stronger steps other than odd/even watering should be taken, such as no grass watering or vehicle washing until further notice. Since Merrimack has quite a few condo complexes and businesses that water lawns, I wonder if they were contacted. I would imagine the Fire Department has a conact name and number for each. I also wonder why this came out on July 4 when fewer people are probably on their computers. Certainly they knew the week before July 4 there had been no rain for a couple of months and no appreciable rain predicted in the next ten days. If it was the possibilty of increased fire danger because of fireworks, they knew that July 4 was coming before July 4 arrived also. When something is described as as "emergency" that sounds dire to me.
MissyB

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Does anybody know how many homes in Meerimack are able to use town water and the total number of homes in town? What are the plans to increase the water supply to meet the demands that new construction will place on the system?
bobandgeri

Postby lynn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 am

I know the MVD has this data and is planning for the future - email to them would provide a quicker and more accurate answer than a post here
jill.lavoie@mvdwater.org
www.mvdwater.org
lynn

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

We received the water alert even though we don't have kids in school. We had signed up for Nixie last year.

People should be made aware that Nixie exists and encourage them to sign up. It would enroll hundreds more homes.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Alert turns to Water Ban - NO OUTSIDE WATERING

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:07 pm

I got this email forwarded to me by the Town Manager (to my Town Council email account):

To: Keith Hickey
Sent: Thu Jul 08 11:48:33 2010
Subject: Water ban

Below is a message from Jim:

Keith,

Conditions have dictated that we go to a total outside water usage ban immediately. Please have the sign at the transfer station changed to:

All outside water use prohibited at of 7/8/10

Thanks

Jim
Brian McCarthy

Postby Debra Huffman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a total outside watering ban. Does anyone remember?
Debra Huffman

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Here is a cut/paste from the press release:

PRESS RELEASE - IMMEDIATE

MERRIMACK VILLAGE DISTRICT
2 GREENS POND RD
MERRIMACK, NH 03054
DATE OF ISSUANCE July 8, 2010 at 1:00pm

CELL 345-2292

JILL LAVOIE – ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER/WATER QUALITY SUPPORT
424-9241 x103
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MERRIMACK VILLAGE DISTRICT WATER BAN

As a result of continued heavy water consumption the MVD is implementing a ban on all outside water use effectively immediately.

The last 10 days of attempting to limit use of water has not been effective. MVD’s usage for the first seven days of July have averaged just under five million gallons per day. Normal usage for the District is approximately two million gallons per day. The lack of rain over the last several months and the desire to have green lawns has only made the situation worse. MVD’s recorded rainfall has been about 5.5 inches in the last 97 days (April 1.83”, May 2.46”, June 1.23” and July 0”).

There is no prediction as to when this prohibition of outside water use will be lifted. All outside water use includes, but is not limited to, the watering of lawns, washing of cars, filling of pools, etc. Use of watering cans for gardens is acceptable.

Violation of the ban, after receiving a warning, may result in termination of service and a subsequent first time reconnection fee of $125.00. MVD personnel will be actively observing violations and issuing warning letters.

This ban is intended for the safety of the water supply and overall fire protection. The public’s cooperation is urgent. Please understand that warnings are given out to make individuals aware of the severity and that MVD employees are simply trying to protect the public water supply by delivering these notices.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 am

According to WMUR's website:

Merrimack announced Thursday that it was banning outdoor water user every day, the first such ban since 2002. It had implemented a ban on alternating days earlier in the week.

-- Of course, the alternating has been in place for years... --

Debra Huffman wrote:I'm trying to remember the last time we had a total outside watering ban. Does anyone remember?
Brian McCarthy

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water