Comcast's Leased Internet Modem

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast's Leased Internet Modem

Postby mort » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:20 am

Is it possible to buy your own modem instead of using Comcast's $5/month modem? A new modem costs about $50.

Thanks
mort-
mort

Re: Comcast's Leased Internet Modem

Postby andysinnh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 am

yes, you can use your own - unless you have voice and internet, then you need to use theirs...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 am

andysinnh wrote:yes, you can use your own - unless you have voice and internet, then you need to use theirs...

That is not correct Andy, at least in my case. I purchased a Motorolla surfboard 2 years ago for about $100 dollars to reduce my cable bill. Sadly, I have the triple play but do not get HBO or the other channels, just expanded basic and until last month, that cost $150 but now they changed their name to xfinity and it costs $170 for the same service!
Dennis King

Postby andysinnh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

Dennis King wrote:
andysinnh wrote:yes, you can use your own - unless you have voice and internet, then you need to use theirs...

That is not correct Andy, at least in my case. I purchased a Motorolla surfboard 2 years ago for about $100 dollars to reduce my cable bill. Sadly, I have the triple play but do not get HBO or the other channels, just expanded basic and until last month, that cost $150 but now they changed their name to xfinity and it costs $170 for the same service!

Hmmm - If you have internet only you can typically use any modem as long as you synch it with Comcast and they can talk to it. But once you need to get their phone/voice service, you need a special modem that has the phone connectors as well as the internet connection. The one that comcast uses is a Thompson/RCA modem, and I've not heard of any other modem they support for the combo phone/internet service. Do you have a different experience??? Can you provide specifics?
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 am

I have their modem for the voice but also have my surfboard modem which appears to being the wifi to my modem. The voice modem is under a chair in my office so I forgot about it but that appears to be for the phone only
Dennis King

Postby Concerned » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 am

[deleted & warned]

So he does actually have 2 modems when in fact he only needs one if he gets it from Comcast. How much are you paying for your "phone only" modem and can it be replaced with one that supports triple play for the same price? I know the answer but let's see if you can do some RESEARCH and figure it out.

If not, call the media coordinator at Merrimack TV. I am sure he will be happy to help. :lol:
Concerned

Postby Dennis King » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:02 pm

"Concerned", yeah I bet you are, the technician from Comcast set up my system that way, I have a separate fax line so that may be why. As is typical with you troll posts, you latch onto a tangent and miss the whole point entirely. This was all about whether you could use your own modem or theirs, I am using both, geez talk about nit picking, you really need to get a life
Dennis King

Postby andysinnh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Dennis King wrote:I have their modem for the voice but also have my surfboard modem which appears to being the wifi to my modem. The voice modem is under a chair in my office so I forgot about it but that appears to be for the phone only

Ah - I see. Comcast typically charges a single rental fee for a modem, and if you have voice and internet, it's a combined modem, so you get a single charge. Since you're running voice plus internet - and still using one of their modems - you still get that charge. In essence, you could likely get the combined modem and still pay the same price and not use yours (and perhaps get faster passthru - not sure whether yours has the same specs as theirs). If you dropped voice, your setup would allow for dropping of the modem altogether. But with voice, you pay whether you use internet or not...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water