Another way to take money from Merrimack

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Another way to take money from Merrimack

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Wish it was still Sumerville Lumber :-)
Brian McCarthy

Postby andysinnh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:Wish it was still Sumerville Lumber :-)

When we first moved into our house, there were only 2 "lumber yards" that were open on weekends and sundays - Sommerville Lumber and Builder's Square (currently building 19.x ) on 101A in Nashua. Both had a fair chunk of our $$$ with initial things done to our house - back in the 82-85 period of time.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 am

There was another lumber yard in where VIP Auto is - it was more lumber than hardware - but it went out....as did all the Grossman's

Ah, the good old days with choices and workers that knew what quarter sawn lumber was (Reed Ferry and Currier Lumber come to mind as the only ones around that may have a clue).

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby rmorrissey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm

There is a new lumber place where the Saab dealership was

http://www.unclehildes.com/

I haven't had a need to try it out yet though, has anyone?
rmorrissey

Postby Linda Nickerson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Uncle Hilde's is a great place. My husband goes there often. They also have a place in Tilton (the original location).
Linda Nickerson

Postby spnorm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 am

Did you catch this quote from state rep. David Campbell in the Union Leader?

"-- The restored toll revenue could allow officials to eliminate tolls at some Merrimack exits."

Yeah...and Washington could balance the federal budget...but that ain't gonna happen either. Good attempt to woo support for this toll fiasco from Merrimack residents though.

RBarnes wrote:the thing that would make the most sense would be eliminate the tolls outright and just increase the gas tax a couple cents to make up the lost revenue. It would be a more equally distributed tax to everyone in the state

Yes I like that, distribute the cost equitably instead of just whacking those who use roads in question. That makes as much sense as equitably distributing the cost of trash disposal among taxpayers rather than hitting self-haulers. Wait a minute...aren't you the #1 cheerleader for PAYT?!?
spnorm

Postby lynn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:26 am

I heard part of the proposal was to eliminate the toll at one of the mk exits
can't remember which one
lynn

Postby spnorm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 am

lynn wrote:I heard part of the proposal was to eliminate the toll at one of the mk exits
can't remember which one

That would be nice, but I fear they will soon realize that Merrimack residents would be able to avoid the tolls, and scream about the lost revenue. I think removing any one of the exits would make it tolerable for a good portion of the town to use DW Hwy to get to/from that exit to skip the toll. If you are in the Bedford Rd. area, and they removed the Exit 10 toll, it could still be reasonable to take DW Hwy that far south and jump on the Turnpike. Currently, you would have to trek all the way out to 101A if you are determined not to pay, and that adds a lot to the travel time.

Still, removing just one is a double edged sword, since DW Hwy traffic would likely increase, and the afternoon backups from Baboosic Lake Rd to beyond Rite Aid are bad enough already.
spnorm

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am

spnorm wrote:
RBarnes wrote:the thing that would make the most sense would be eliminate the tolls outright and just increase the gas tax a couple cents to make up the lost revenue. It would be a more equally distributed tax to everyone in the state

Yes I like that, distribute the cost equitably instead of just whacking those who use roads in question. That makes as much sense as equitably distributing the cost of trash disposal among taxpayers rather than hitting self-haulers. Wait a minute...aren't you the #1 cheerleader for PAYT?!?

Your analogy is wrong.

A toll would be the equivalent to only taxing people who use one of the last 6 bays of the station where those using the first 6 get to get in and out without paying anything.

And what we have now in regards to our transfer station is the equivalent of a road tax on everyone in NH even if they don't even drive a car (use the station).

PAYT is the equal of a flat gas tax. You drive on a lot of roads and use a lot of gas you pay more, with PAYT if you toss out a lot of trash you pay more... you don't drive or you don't use the station you don't pay.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby spnorm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Sure, you can try to spin it that way. I'll stand by my original analogy. I also recognize I have pulled this off topic, so I'll leave it here. Suffice to say I think we basically agree on a small gas tax increase being preferrable to tolls. EZ pass makes the tolls a little more convenient - but actually costs more to administer. High speed EZ pass makes it really convenient, but costs even more. Just chasing our tails with tolls.
spnorm

Previous

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water