Another way to take money from Merrimack

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Another way to take money from Merrimack

Postby Tim Tenhave » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 am

What is this guy thinking? We finally have some ray of light and and they want to move the Bedford toll south (likely then in Merrimack) to ensure they catch those folks running over to the airport. What it really means that we will stay toll bound in our Town and even more folks will use Rt. 3 to avoid the toll. Great idea, huh...

Check out:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/604 ... llers.html

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... d8e6b90372

Write this rep and his committee please!

campbelldavidb@comcast.net

~HousePublicWorksandHighways@leg.state.nh.us
Tim Tenhave

Re: Another way to take money from Merrimack

Postby RBarnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:38 am

Not to get too off the main point of the tolls here but David Campbell has a D- rating with the NH Liberty Alliance showing he has a record of putting government before people.

http://www.nhliberty.org/sites/default/ ... ev0819.pdf

I would still strongly advise writing him but I'm not sure it will get anywhere.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RBarnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 am

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/c ... x?code=H20

That page has every member of the committee listed. I would suggest emailing all of them.

I know several people, myself included, have done research and work to help find ways to combat the tolls... has anyone ever thought of starting a political action committee aimed at campaigning for and supporting representatives not just in Merrimack but around the state who will actively work to eliminate the tolls?

The "End Tolls PAC"?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby pumbaa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 am

I am quite sure I remember during the planning stages, reading articles discussing the fact that this interchange would not have a toll. Now they are playing it off as being "asleep at the switch", like nobody even thought of the toll issue before. Ya think while they were digging all around the Bedford plaza, and setting up concrete barriers to form those nearly suicidal funnels through the tolls maybe someone might have thought about the toll issue? And even if a toll for the access road is a given (for sake of discussion) why move the whole plaza when you can just put up a smaller one on the access road itself? Of course, then they will make sure the new plaza is beyond the entry point from DW Hwy, so there would be no avoiding it. Toll plazas are a vicious cycle where adding them results in more operating costs, so the toll rates have to go up again - just to cover the cost of having tolls.

Honestly, having a toll from the Turnpike doesn't upset me too much, since you currently "can't get there from here" without paying the toll anyway. I would not be happy to see one that catches the DW Hwy traffic though.
pumbaa

Postby lynn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 am

as I understand the ramps to the access road are Federal and therefore no tolls allowed
too bad - was a good idea
lynn

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm

My ex-husband is on the So NH Planning Commission and at their recent meeting they had a speaker from the DOT who said they are actually planning to install tolls on 93 in Salem.
Why? Because millions of dollars (I think he said $60 million) were taken from the Highway fund and used in the General Fund, so now they don't have enough money to complete the road work on 93.

I doubt they will remove any tolls - EVER! Although it never hurts to complain.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I spoke with my ex and he said they are planning to move the tolls 500 feet south to get tolls money from peope taking the airport road which will cost 6 million. Wouldn't it make more sense to simply put a toll booth on the airport road? :shock:
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Jeannine-----I suspect that they realize it would cost more to operate two toll booths while not increasing the revenue from the present system.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby tim dutton » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Isn't there going to be ramps from Rt 3 in Bedford/Merrimack Line?
tim dutton

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 pm

There is supposed to be an exit ramp there.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby chrisorteg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 am

If the Rep. from Nashua wants to move the toll south, I say move the tolls to Nashua and catch everyone there!!! He wouldn't propose that, now would he?
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby tim dutton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 am

If I recall, A bill was passed in Concord to keep tolls out of Nashua (Exit 1)

A news article stated yesterday that there will be an off ramp to Rt 3 in Bedford.
tim dutton

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:20 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to simply put a toll booth on the airport road? :shock:

Since anywhere from 30 to 50 percent of the money collected simply goes to running the tolls themselves the thing that would make the most sense would be eliminate the tolls outright and just increase the gas tax a couple cents to make up the lost revenue. It would be a more equally distributed tax to everyone in the state and would still allow us to capture out of state money from MA as they come up to go to the airport or go shopping in NH.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby andysinnh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 am

If you go to the DOT's web site, you can find the PDF view of the layout at http://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/bedford1 ... gnment.pdf . The picture shows a full north/south access from DW Highway to the airport road and also to the Everett Turnpike. Note that it allows traffic in all directions to bypass the tollbooth. So, in theory, if you're coming from DW Highway north you can get on the everett without paying a toll, and also come south bypassing the tolls and get on DW Highway. In essence, a bit of a boon for the north-end Merrimack residents (grasping at straws, I know...). But I think the other thing it shows is the potential issue with having tollbooths on the ramps, given the way they designed the whole thing. I'm not saying it can't be done - but it could be a bit of a challenge. The other interesting thing about this is the way the ramps go around the Wood Products building that remains (the old Somerville Lumber building).

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 pm

I know a few people who work at the lumber company and they're scheduled to move to Bow this year, so perhaps the building is going away?
Jeannine Stergios

Next

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water