Rate Your Cell Phone Company

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Rate Your Cell Phone Company

Postby Speeder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 pm

I have Verizon Wireless and am thinking of switching to another carrier, mainly for price but also because of some spotty coverage at my house. I'm in the southwest part of town.

It seems like Verizon has the best coverage, at least according to available maps and in talking to other people.

I thought I'd ask around to other people who live nearby, and see what carriers you all use and what you think of their coverage.

Any info, god or bad, would be greatly appreciated. It would not be fun to get locked in for 2 years with a barely usable plan.
Speeder

Re: Rate Your Cell Phone Company

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 pm

I have Verizon as well, and have some reception problems as also.

Once I get closer to the end of my contract I will be changing to a new carrier, likely AT&T.
They have added better coverage to our area.

I do have a suggestion for you to try before you commit.

Pick up one of the cheap prepaid phones from the carrier you are considering and try that out for a while in the places you use the cell.
That way you can know ahead of time whether that carrier works for you the majority of the time.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby andysinnh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 pm

We have had verizon for years, and have spotty reception at our house (northwest corner near 101/bedford/amherst). Our son switched to an iPhone with AT&T, and he has the same issues at our house. And when we have a contractor come over - no matter what service they have, they can't pick up a consistent signal. So for us, it wouldn't make a difference - reception stinks out here. I will say that Verizon has decent service in other places - no complaints.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby JBass » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:06 am

Stay away from ATT!
Unfortunately It is what I use for work. We had Verizon which worked fine but some idiot in Maryland probably believed the billboards which promised "the best coverage", etc.
btw... The FTC recently told ATT to discontinue such claims.

Good luck.
JBass

Postby Debra Huffman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:22 am

We have US Cellular and are very happy with it. We get reception everywhere. When my daughter was living in Plymouth, friends had to borrow her phone because she always had service. My son moved to Florida - no problem, still covered on our US Cellular plan and he gets great service. I can't recall anywhere we've been that we didn't get service, even driving up to (and in) Canada.
Debra Huffman

Postby Stan Heinrich » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:23 am

I have been a U.S. Cellular customer for over 10 years. The free incoming text/picture messaging is wonderful.
The employees really try to help you, not pressure you into buying stuff that is not needed.
Stan Heinrich

Postby pumbaa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 am

TonyRichardson wrote:
Pick up one of the cheap prepaid phones from the carrier you are considering and try that out for a while in the places you use the cell.
That way you can know ahead of time whether that carrier works for you the majority of the time.

I'm not sure that will necessarily work. At one point I was looking into pre-paid phones and talked to someone at the Sprint store. He said the pre-paid phones from Sprint don't actually use the same network as their regular contract phones, so coverage would not be as good. If you are going to try this, make sure you find out if the networks are truly the same (if you can).
pumbaa

Postby mmoy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:17 pm

We have had AT&T for several years with no problems in the areas of Merrimack where we travel.

I personally feel that Verizon has better overall coverage in New England and I just picked up a Verizon phone for my son who is in MA for the summer. He still has his AT&T phone which is good until October so he can use either but he's using the Verizon phone because it is a nicer phone. My daughter is looking at a phone replacement soon too (battery is going south) so we will have another decision to make on phones.
mmoy

Postby MissyB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 am

I have had Consumer Cellular, www.consumercellular.com, for about six or seven months. It has been fine travelling around NH although I don't use it that much. The phone was free and no contracts so if you don't like it you can cancel at any time. The rates start at $10/month for no minutes, $20/month for 250 minutes and go up from there. It is saving me $50 a month over the AT&T service and occassionally with AT&T, I got a "no service" message.
MissyB

Postby bobandgeri » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 am

Are you just looking to be able to make phone calls, or will you be using a Smart phone for email and web access?

We have had Sprint, Nextel, and Verion over the past several years but have been with Verizon for the past few years now. All have spotty coverage at our house but Verizon has the best signal. We head north to the mountains a lot and Verizon has the best coverage up there by far, especially for email and web. We've been able to send messages on Facebook via the phone in the middle of the Pemi while others can't get a signal at all. At our trailer in Twin Mountain our friends with I-Phones (AT&T) have to borrow our phone.
bobandgeri

Postby TonyRichardson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I've been using T-Mobile for a few months and it works very well for me.
Additionally the rates are much better than I was getting from verizon.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water