Comcast cable modem price increase

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast cable modem price increase

Postby Speeder » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Looking through my latest Comcast bill, there's a notice that the cable modem rental cost will go up from $3 to $5 per month starting with the next billing cycle.

I've always thought that buying one might be a wise choice, but the $3/month wasn't that offensive, so I kept paying it. But a 67% increase doesn't sit well with me, so I looked into the cost of buying one. Found (& purchased) a brand new Motorola SB5101 at newegg.com for $49.99, and $1.99 shipping. Payback will be less than a year.

Just a heads up for others. I'm not sure if there will also be an increase in the phone/internet modems, as I don't have my phone service through Comcast.
Speeder

Re: Comcast cable modem price increase

Postby Kathy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Pretty sure there is something about if it's not their equipment, they charge extra if there is a problem w/your service.

Kathy
Kathy

Postby random1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:23 pm

I was also sick of paying the $3 "rental fee" for the modem so I purchased the Motorola SB5101 at Best Buy in August for $79.99. Wish I had done it alot sooner!
random1

Postby andysinnh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am

The only good thing about the "rental fee" is that it gets replaced for free if it breaks, and if there's ever an upgrade, they do that for free as well. I had 2 modems die over the past 6 years or so, and each time it was replaced with a newer model. Today I'm running the RCA modem with the phone and internet - wouldn't want to buy that one - not sure that you could (although I haven't looked).

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am

Is there any trick to setting it up, or does it self-configure when connected to the Comcast lines?
Michael Pelletier

Postby andysinnh » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:Is there any trick to setting it up, or does it self-configure when connected to the Comcast lines?
As long as the ID of the modem is in Comcast's DB attached to your account, it'll just work when you plug it in. I know that when I swapped modems, they had to change the modem ID in their database. I had to wait about 30 mins after I got the modem before I could plug it in.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:24 pm

andysinnh wrote:The only good thing about the "rental fee" is that it gets replaced for free if it breaks, and if there's ever an upgrade, they do that for free as well.

At $49,99 and dropping, you can just buy a new one if it breaks and still come out ahead.
Michael Pelletier

Postby andysinnh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:
andysinnh wrote:The only good thing about the "rental fee" is that it gets replaced for free if it breaks, and if there's ever an upgrade, they do that for free as well.

At $49,99 and dropping, you can just buy a new one if it breaks and still come out ahead.

Unfortunately I have the combo modem for the phone as well as the internet. Don't think that'd be a fifty buck modem....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby tastyratz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 pm

If your buying it for just the net just buy the 6120 modem instead if you plan on keeping your service. Maybe another 20-30 extra
Docsis 3.0 is rolling out with more speeds slowly with comcast - if you want any of their higher tie plans a 2.0 modem cant get over 33megs.
Might not now, but maybe next year or year after they might do another free upgrade to stay competitive - at least then you would be prepared.
tastyratz

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water