Comcast phone service down...

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Comcast phone service down...

Postby andysinnh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:12 am

Anyone else getting impacted like me? Apparently there's an area-wide outage for comcast digital voice this morning. And to think I left the shangri-la of Fairpoint for this... Sigh.....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Re: Comcast phone service down...

Postby RD » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:28 am

I just received the following in an email... I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Please be advised that our FairPoint lines are currently experiencing some technical difficulties, which are effecting the entire state and the greater Boston area...

The problem has been diagnosed as a circuit issue between Comcast and FairPoint telephone lines...

We have been informed that the problem should be rectified by the end of business today.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:23 am

that may have explained the 'fax' sound I was hearing over a triple-play line this morning.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Tom Williams » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:30 am

You got current information about a Comcast problem??!!

And you got it in an email initiated by Comcast!!!!?????

There are icebergs on the River Styx!!!
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby andysinnh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 pm

While I was in the "live chat" window with comcast, they put out a note saying that phone service was out across many parts of the New England region and were working on a fix. And a guy trying to call my work number, after a few times where it never rang at all, then got a canned error saying there was a network problem and it was being addressed.

Phones came back for 2 minutes around 11:30, and then back completely around 12:15 or so. What a PITA when you work from home and rely upon your phone service. But given what RD said, I'm wondering what similar issues FairPoint was having as well?

Sigh - back to work...

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Phones are down again as oi 4:30.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Does CDV have a network-unavailable forwarding feature?
Michael Pelletier

Postby andysinnh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:Does CDV have a network-unavailable forwarding feature?

I don't think so - they rely upon their network as the infrastructure - and as far as I can tell, they don't look for alternate network paths beyond their infrastructure...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Ann Goldman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm

I am no fan of Fairpoint and was thinking of switching to Comcast, but our service was fine today.
Ann Goldman

Postby andysinnh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Ann Goldman wrote:I am no fan of Fairpoint and was thinking of switching to Comcast, but our service was fine today.

I've had comcast phone service for several months now, and this is the first glitch I've seen - and it sounded like it was a widespread issue and certainly not typical. My experience with comast has been very good, and in many ways better than fairpoint, in that their voicemail and notification of voicemail options is much better - including the ability to check a voicemail over their web site. If this sort of outage becomes more frequent, I may be changing my tune - but for now, I'm still happy with comcast - and saving a bunch over what Fairpoint was costing.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:03 am

andysinnh wrote:

I don't think so - they rely upon their network as the infrastructure - and as far as I can tell, they don't look for alternate network paths beyond their infrastructure...

Packet8 has a feature where if they can't reach your VoIP adapter or it's otherwise not registered, calls will be forwarded to a number you specify.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:
andysinnh wrote:

Packet8 has a feature where if they can't reach your VoIP adapter or it's otherwise not registered, calls will be forwarded to a number you specify.

Vonage has the same feature. I'm shocked that CDV doesn't offer it.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water